Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
egabeva
Level 1
Level 1

Wine Installation

Post by egabeva »

I attempted to install Wine from the Software Manager, but was unsuccessful, as per attached two screenshots. Although it said I had an internet problem I was able to download and install 'Wine Tricks' without a problem, thus proving no internet problem. I tried to navigate to the web page from screen shot 4 but it said the page was up for sale! Is there a problem here of some sort or should I adopt the method in one of the linux mint forums which advised the following terminal command: apt install --install-recommends wine-installer? Any help please?

Cheers egabeva
Attachments
Wine 3 a.jpg
Wine 3 a.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 457 times
Wine 4 a.jpg
Wine 4 a.jpg (24.69 KiB) Viewed 457 times
fmeneuhe
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Wine Installation

Post by fmeneuhe »

What happens if you run the next command on the terminal?:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

egabeva wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:31 am
... should I adopt the method in one of the linux mint forums which advised the following terminal command: apt install --install-recommends wine-installer? Any help please?
That solution will work, provided nothing was installed during the failed attempts. To be certain, roll back the system with Timeshift, then install wine-installer. You can do this with Software Manager, by the way. Just make sure it's wine-installer and not one of the other Wine packages.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

egabeva wrote:
I attempted to install Wine from the Software Manager, but was unsuccessful, as per attached two screenshots. Although it said I had an internet problem I was able to download and install 'Wine Tricks' without a problem, thus proving no internet problem. I tried to navigate to the web page from screen shot 4 but it said the page was up for sale! Is there a problem here of some sort or should I adopt the method in one of the linux mint forums which advised the following terminal command: apt install --install-recommends wine-installer? Any help please?

Cheers egabeva
--It's best to nuke everything involved with wine, then go directly to winehq.org and follow the install directions via the distro you've chosen. Sometimes installing Wine via software manager or synaptic can be hit or miss.

After that is done. I recommend you visiting https://lutris.net/downloads/ to follow Lutris installation instructions. TLDR Lutris= get your sanity back involving managing wine...period. It is a godsend. I thank Chris Titus Tech for mentioning it to me a good year or so ago. Thanks to Lutris I have 99.9999% of all my Windows native titles working and flawlessly through a variety of Wine versions as needed depending on the individual title.

Intelligent Gaming youtube channel is another reasonably good source for Linux-involved gaming setups. --
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

--It's best to nuke everything involved with wine, then go directly to winehq.org and follow the install directions via the distro you've chosen.
egabeva, this is spectacularly bad advice and contrary to the official Linux Mint Release Notes.
To install the complete version of WINE, open a terminal and type:

apt install wine-installer

Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.
FYI, wine-installer is a special package designed by Mint for this very purpose. Notice --install-recommends isn't mentioned. Was necessary in LM19, but now included by default in LM20. So, same result whether you use Terminal, Software Manager, or Synaptic Package Manager.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

motoryzen wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 10:51 pm
--It's best to nuke everything involved with wine, then go directly to winehq.org and follow the install directions via the distro you've chosen. Sometimes installing Wine via software manager or synaptic can be hit or miss.
Shoddy advice. The poster is better advised to follow the official LM instructions.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

pbear wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 11:36 pm
--It's best to nuke everything involved with wine, then go directly to winehq.org and follow the install directions via the distro you've chosen.
egabeva, this is spectacularly bad advice and contrary to the official Linux Mint Release Notes.
To install the complete version of WINE, open a terminal and type:

apt install wine-installer

Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.
FYI, wine-installer is a special package designed by Mint for this very purpose. Notice --install-recommends isn't mentioned. Was necessary in LM19, but now included by default in LM20. So, same result whether you use Terminal, Software Manager, or Synaptic Package Manager.
-- Since when is it bad advice to start with a clean slate when most or all else fails? Especially with something as rabbit-hole involved as wine can be. It's not like that is any secret for many years on end since 2010 let alone before Lutris was officially launched a good year or so ago.

I've followed the same guide by Intelligent Gaming recent ( just to test it), then Chris Titus Tech alike for over a year now and it has yet to fail me in at least 7 different LM 20 installs on 7 different computers. Yeah..i tried the apt install wine-installer route, but there always ends up being something missing ( dependency for example) or some other unknown problem I could never pinpoint.

Do whatever you want to do. All I know is still to this hour, using the method outlined by Intelligent Gaming and first updating Mesa and Vulkan ( rx580 + 4790k here) ALL of my windows-only native titles work and work flawlessly using Lutris to manage them.

Crysis games, Metro Games, Witcher games, Trine 1-3, Older titles like Prince of Persia SOT Trilogy, EA sports madden 03, NHL 02', and F1 2002, Dead Space, all battle.net/blizzard games, Brutal Legend, COD4 MW1 ( as in the one that is now over or around 10+ years old not the what I call remake), Medal of Honor LE (2010), Alan Wake's American Nightmare, Amnesia Dark Descent, Outlast, znes ( snes emulator), nestopia ( nes emulator), Soma, the list goes on.

Believe whatever you want. (shrugs) Lutris with wine improvements is a pair of the main reasons why I've been able to leave Windows 100% since late July 2020.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

motoryzen wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 12:20 am
... I've been able to leave Windows 100% since late July 2020.
Wow. Two and a half whole months.

<flutters eyelids>

Can you walk on water?

I guess those of us with decades of experience have got it all wrong.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
cretsiah
Level 2
Level 2

Post by cretsiah »

I dont know

I failed Lutris or it failed me.... probably because im a pretty old dumb shmuck .....

out of 11 games i want from GOG i could only get one to do as i expected (the others had from i can gather botched installers ) and quite frankly it just felt like it was making a massive mess of my system to me in the menu entries.

As for the Witcher Games
running steam with proton 5.0.9 i have
- The Witcher: Enhanced Edition
- Witcher 2: Assasins of Kings
- Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

on 2 different systems

The only ones giving me any grief are:
Far Cry Primal - loss of audio and subtitles, graphical glitches (which get worse further into the game i found )
Far Cry 4 - loss of audio and subtitles
World of Tanks - fails to launch
Elite Dangerous - fails to launch
Halo Master Chief Collection - loss of audio and subtitles
WarFrame seems a bit hit n miss

@Kadaitcha Man
I guess those of us with decades of experience have got it all wrong.

nah just making it easier for dumb shmucks like me
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

motoryzen wrote:
-- Since when is it bad advice to start with a clean slate when most or all else fails?
It's bad advice because we have had many, many threads where newbies tripped over the WineHQ instructions.
And it's bad advice because it conflicts with the advice of the Mint developers, who know a LOT more than you do.
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

For whatever it is worth, I had problems with the Wine in the LM Software Manager. It installed fine, but I could not install my Windows programs. I stumbled across Play on Linux and it worked much better. I plan to try again someday with Wine, but this Play on Linux works better for me.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

egabeva wrote:
I attempted to install Wine from the Software Manager, but was unsuccessful, as per attached two screenshots. Although it said I had an internet problem I was able to download and install 'Wine Tricks' without a problem, thus proving no internet problem. I tried to navigate to the web page from screen shot 4 but it said the page was up for sale!
I think you have an internet problem because I can navigate to http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/ and get a listing:

Code: Select all

ndex of /ubuntu/pool
[ICO]	Name	Last modified	Size
[PARENTDIR]	Parent Directory	 	-
[DIR]	main/	2005-11-16 12:06 	-
[DIR]	multiverse/	2016-06-20 23:40 	-
[DIR]	restricted/	2016-04-21 01:02 	-
[DIR]	universe/	2015-04-30 13:40 	- 
Is there a problem here of some sort
You might have an internet problem, which doesn't change the proper way to install wine.
or should I adopt the method in one of the linux mint forums which advised the following terminal command: apt install --install-recommends wine-installer? Any help please?
That should work. Don't follow the winehq instruction.

Before you install wine-installer, purge the packages that were installed when you "attempted to install Wine from the Software Manager".
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

motoryzen wrote:
Thanks to Lutris I have 99.9999% of all my Windows native titles working and flawlessly through a variety of Wine versions as needed depending on the individual title.
So you've installed one million Windows programs and they all worked except one? That's pretty cool.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:47 pm
motoryzen wrote:
Thanks to Lutris I have 99.9999% of all my Windows native titles working and flawlessly through a variety of Wine versions as needed depending on the individual title.
So you've installed one million Windows programs and they all worked except one? That's pretty cool.
-- (Eustace Bags voice/accent from Courage the Cowardly Dog cartoon) " BLAH BLAH BLAH....What's your offer!?" :lol:

No :D. But I've installed enough that I still don't miss Windows one bit.
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

pbear wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:11 am
motoryzen wrote:
-- Since when is it bad advice to start with a clean slate when most or all else fails?
It's bad advice because we have had many, many threads where newbies tripped over the WineHQ instructions.
And it's bad advice because it conflicts with the advice of the Mint developers, who know a LOT more than you do.
--Right...I keep forgetting every forum site has to have someone out of at least 50 that always want to bust someone else's chops because of jealousy of a simple..tried and true method of doing something to fix a problem. Just because my method may not have worked for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. When you simplify things and start over, it's easier to pinpoint the source of the problem..most often. I never said anything about Mint devs knowing less or equal than I do about this particular problem, but I also know from experience that it's not a damn sin either to start with a clean slate and it often works. If nothing else, worst case, the person trying it out at least finds out the source of the problem even if it's a problem that person is unable to resolve for whatever understandable reasons.

This is just as applicable to resolving an internet connection issue, reasons why a storage shed aren't level where it should be, process of elimination of a specific car problem involving why a car won't start ( look at history of parts replacement for example. Things required to make a car start. Battery, ignition coils/wires, spark plugs, fuel, starter in good shape and all electrical connections clean and connected properly, air..)

You'll be ok. You don't have to take my advice. No one has a weapon pointed to your privates demanding that you do. Move on..You don't own new Linux users. They can decide for themselves if the advice I or anyone else gives here makes sense or if it's bs.--
pbear
Level 15
Level 15

Post by pbear »

Who said I have trouble with the WineHQ instructions? In fact, I'm the one who figured out their convoluted method for backporting Wine 5 into Ubuntu 18.04 and LM 19. And jealous, of you? Sorry, no. Just trying to give the OP sound advice.

egabeva, are you following the thread? You you have any questions? That's the important thing.
Last edited by pbear on Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

motoryzen wrote:
Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:49 pm
--Right...I keep forgetting every forum site has to have someone out of at least 50 that always want to bust someone else's chops because of jealousy of a simple..tried and true method of doing something to fix a problem.
OP's problem was his internet connection. He didn't mention how he tried to install wine.
Just because my method may not have worked for you, doesn't mean it won't work for others. When you simplify things and start over, it's easier to pinpoint the source of the problem..most often.
I never had any problems installing wine from the winehq instructions because I know how to install missing dependencies, etc, but plenty of other people have had problems with winehq instructions and they post about them here. As for simplifying things, you can't get much simpler than installing one package: wine-installer. AFAIK, installing wine via wine-installer always works unless they had first tried the winehq method and had problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”