Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
corto-landese
Level 1
Level 1

what is the file which link customized folders and their specific icons

Post by corto-landese »

Hello, sometimes ago i have customized the folder's icons of my data disk and some removable disks.
That was OK but my PC crashed and I need to reinstall Linux mint (18.3 because I tried to upgrade with Mint 20 and 19.3 and the result is very slow).
Because I have made a copy of my system disk before reinstalling I have all the system folders on a save disk and I have recovered my .wine, firefox thumbnails, idents and passwords, games hall of fame and others parameters.

all except the links between my icons and the corresponding folders?

It's sure that I can recreate all the links but I have between 1 and 2 hundred of links so if I could copy the previous file of links that avoid me a boring job.

the question is : what is the name and where is the file with links ? (manage by Nemo ?)

thanks by advance
desktop : micro PC Vorke V2 : i7-6500, 8 Go ram, intel Skylake, 128 Go SSD + 256 Go SATA), Linux/Mint 18.3 avec Cinnamon 64-bit
laptop : Sony VAIO (ancien) : Linux/Mint 19.1 avec Cinnamon 64-bit
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Re: what is the file which link customized folders and their specific icons

Post by mikeflan »

Regarding this statement:
"all except the links between my icons and the corresponding folders?"

Does that mean the folders you are looking at in Nemo are soft links to physical folders located in another directory?
Read up on soft links here:
https://linuxhandbook.com/symbolic-link-linux/

One way to create a soft link is to hold Ctrl and Shift, click and hold on a folder or file in Nemo, drag to the place where you want the link, and then release the click. A link icon will show in the new place.

Did you use "emblems" to personalize your folders / directories?
https://helpdeskgeek.com/linux-tips/how ... -in-linux/

If so, that will not change the soft link functioning.

You might want to show us some screen shots of what you are talking about.
corto-landese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corto-landese »

Hi, no they are not soft link and no I don't use emblems to personalize but a specific icon for each folder

That is a part that I have on my disk 'Data' after re-install

and that is an example of what I have for the same folders on the disk 'Data' and all my disks, USB keys, .... before the crash (1 or 2 hundred links between folders and icons)

so I would like to know where is the file which define the link between each folder and its associated icon to avoid the boring job to recreate all of them
desktop : micro PC Vorke V2 : i7-6500, 8 Go ram, intel Skylake, 128 Go SSD + 256 Go SATA), Linux/Mint 18.3 avec Cinnamon 64-bit
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

In Nemo..
If you right click on one of the Folders displaying an icon & select Properties.
Then right mouse click on the icon a new windows will display the path to that icon.
The might all be in one Folder, or they could be in a multitude. It depends where they were placed in the first place.
icon.png
corto-landese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corto-landese »

Thank you for your answer but I dont ask where are the icons and what is the path to view and select one but where is the link between a selected icon and the corresponding folder .

the icon is not duplicated in the folder, there is not in the folder a file indicating what icon is selected and associated with it so where is put the indication that a specific icon is linked/associated with a specific folder (like in my example).

It's somewhere in the system files because if a removable disk with specific icons is put on another PC the specific icon is not displayed (and it reappeared if the disk is put on the PC where the link is created).

So, when a disk is mounted, something in Nemo (or elsewhere) associate folders with their specific icons and display them.
my question is where are the informations which permit that
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

corto-landese wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 11:40 pm
Thank you for your answer but I dont ask where are the icons and what is the path to view and select one but where is the link between a selected icon and the corresponding folder
The path indicated as to where the icon resides IS the link that attaches that specific icon to that specific folder.
Change one & see!!!

EDIT to Add.
If no icon path is present then Nemo defaults to the icon specified in Icon under Themes..
icon 1.png
icon 2.png
corto-landese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corto-landese »

Yes the path indicate which icon is chosen and is the 'virtual' link between the two elements BUT if you unmount the disk/key and put it on another pc with same specifics icon the link is broken so physically the information which attach an icon path to a folder is written elsewhere and used by Nemo to display the correct icon. Where ?
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

See if this gets you anywhere:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/103 ... n-in-linux

It didn't work for me on 19.3 Cinnamon.

You ask a good question. I just have not found a good answer for it yet.
AndyMH
Level 13
Level 13

Post by AndyMH »

Anything on the desktop has a .desktop file in /home/you/Desktop. Open the folder and open the relevant file with your text editor. There will be a line in there specifying the icon, e.g.

Code: Select all

Icon=virtualbox
where there is no path specified the icon lives somewhere in /usr/share/icons and you have to hunt it down. Installing icon-browser can help (not always).

If you want a custom icon simply change icon= to whatever you want. I normally put custom icons in /home/you/.local/icons. If you put them there you don't have to specify the full pathname in the .desktop file.
Homebrew i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0, 3 x Thinkpad T430 Cinnamon 19.0, i7-3632 , i5-3320, i5-3210, Thinkpad T60 19.0 Mate
corto-landese
Level 1
Level 1

Post by corto-landese »

@ AndyMH,

thank you for your answer but my problem (and my question) is not about desktop (for which your explanation is right) but about customized icons in the file explorer (look my screen images above).

Return to “Software & Applications”