Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Mint 20, wine, 32-bit application

Post by fargodwe »

I know the release notes I saw online said that Mint 20 no longer supports 32-bit applications but does provide what is supposedly needed by wine and virtualbox to do so. I have a 32-bit application that ran with all 18 and 19 but no longer works, even following the exact same instructions. The first is to add the 32-bit architecture which does not return an error. The app installs (in wine terms in a 32-bit prefix) fine. I am able to install the Windows mdac 27, mdac 28 and jet 4.0 dlls, etc., but the application acts as if these are no longer working.

I have no clue is this is due to Mint 20 no longer supporting 32-bit applications or not. I did not want to post in the wine forums yet until I know this isn't be caused by Mint 20.

Thanks!
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Mint 20, wine, 32-bit application

Post by antikythera »

It's not caused by Mint, rather changes to Ubuntu 20.04 that Mint is based on limiting what WINE components are installed if you choose the normal meta package.
To install the complete version of WINE, open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all

sudo apt install wine-installer
Among other things, this will install wine-desktop-files, which adds menu entries for regedit, your C:\ drive and other items which are missing from upstream WINE.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
fargodwe
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fargodwe »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately still nit working. I've had a lot of help from from the people at winehq getting the app to work in the past so i should probably post back there and see if anyone can be of help.

Thank you again!
Terryphi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Terryphi »

In Synaptic check if you have wine32:i386 installed. If not, install it.
Version: LM 20.0 64bit Mate "If something is worth doing, it is worth doing for free."

Return to “Software & Applications”