Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
GaryD
Level 1
Level 1

How To Kernel Patch - Requirement for OpenRGB

Post by GaryD »

Hi Guys!

How to Kernel Patch in Linuxmint? This is my main question.

I need some help from you guys, and I know this forum has nothing to do with the topic Im asking help for.

I just build a new machine, using Gigabyte B550 Aorus PRO AC motherboard, and I wanted to use a free RGB app to control LEDs on this board. It's called, OpenRGB.

One of the requirement is to patch the kernel, so it can control the RGB RAM in my mobo.

I tried hard following the "kernel patch" procedure, but no success - I think. Im not really sure if I patched the kernel successfully

OpenRGB Repo:
https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

The Kernel Patch Guide Im Following:
https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/Open ... rnel-Patch

This is the part where I'm at lost:
5. Copy your existing configuration. I don't remember the exact filename of the existing config but it's in /boot. Use tab-complete or a file browser to get the file name and replace "config-file" with this name below.
I'm not really sure what the author is talking about, he just said "config-file", is he actually telling about the files like (/boot) in my Linuxmint 20 instance:
- config-5.4.0-26-generic
- config-5.4.0-48-generic
- config-5.4.0-51-generic

Are those the config file the author talks about?

Also, in the guide, the part -

Code: Select all

sudo i2cdetect -l
I don't see i2c-dev and i2c-piix4 listed.

Additional question:
How do I choose the right linux kernel repo? What branch or tag to checkout, so it would match my current installed one on my Linuxmint 20 machine?

Is there anyone here able to help? or had personal experience using the app on Linuxmint 20?
CPU: i7Core 920, Mobo: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R, Graphic Card: GTX 260
jamiemint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How To Kernel Patch - Requirement for OpenRGB

Post by jamiemint »

GaryD wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:55 pm
This is the part where I'm at lost:
5. Copy your existing configuration. I don't remember the exact filename of the existing config but it's in /boot. Use tab-complete or a file browser to get the file name and replace "config-file" with this name below.
I'm not really sure what the author is talking about, he just said "config-file", is he actually telling about the files like (/boot) in my Linuxmint 20 instance:
- config-5.4.0-26-generic
- config-5.4.0-48-generic
- config-5.4.0-51-generic

Are those the config file the author talks about?
Hi GaryD,
Yes, those are exactly the files they are talking about. You need to copy one of them to your kernel git directory and name it ".config". Try to pick one that is closest to the kernel version you are building, although this isn't strictly required.
Also, in the guide, the part -

sudo i2cdetect -l
I don't see i2c-dev and i2c-piix4 listed.
I don't believe you will be able to see them before the kernel patch, build and reboot with the new kernel.
Additional question:
How do I choose the right linux kernel repo? What branch or tag to checkout, so it would match my current installed one on my Linuxmint 20 machine?
I see from the guide that the older versions of OpenRGB work with kernels up to 5.1 Based on your config files, you are running 5.4.0-51-generic. That should be okay if you are using a newer version of OpenRGB. Whichever you use, you can get a tarball instead of using git. The 5.x tarballs are at https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v5.x/

Jamie
jamiemint
Level 3
Level 3

Re: How To Kernel Patch - Requirement for OpenRGB

Post by jamiemint »

$ cat /mnt/mint/boot/config-5.4.0-51-generic | grep PIIX4
CONFIG_I2C_PIIX4=m
I looked in the .config file for 5.4.0-51 on Mint (20) and I2C_PIIX4 is build as a module, which is probably not loaded on your machine, which is why you can't see it.

If you want additional info on how to build a kernel, some info is here: http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/vie ... ernel.html

Jamie

Return to “Software & Applications”