Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Open USB STICK with VLC (Solved)

Post by Alvin »

I am using Linux Mint 19.1. I open my VLC player, but I cannot find the USB stick that I have plugged in. Linux opens the USB when I plug it in. But I want to access it with VLC in order to play a sequence of musical files. How do I play using VLC?
Last edited by Alvin on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Open USB STICK with VLC

Post by all41 »

removable devices get mounted in /media/username
In vlc navigate to that path
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
Alvin
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Open USB STICK with VLC

Post by Alvin »

In VLC, its software conceals the navigation path with a grayed out / in the directory listing presented by media in the pull down menu of Open Directory. If one scrolls down the list of unfamiliar names, he finds media again. Clicking on the 2nd media, the list Alvin, root appears "Alvin" is my computer name. Finally, clicking on Alvin presents external devices, USB sticks, memory cards. Clicking on root may or may not present the directory that contains the files for VLC to play, depending on what the previous search history was.

It is not exactly so easy as landing an Airbus 380 on ILS or IFR, where the guidance does not depend on the airplane's prior flights but only on the current position and the destination.

Thanks, in the future I shall know to click on the grayed out / and then to "fly" by the stick.

I don't think VLC tried too hard to make navigation easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”