Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Firefox update breaks profile settings [solved]

Post by praveenp »

Newest update of 82.0 (64-bit) leaves some of important profile settings gone.

Search is not possible from search bar as well as address bar. Every search engine added is gone (screenshot attached). Add search engine menu item is also not available!

Homepage customisation are also went blank.

Address-bar is not auto completing the URL.

(Although it may be possible to customise as it was before, it happens a silly nuisance.)

Please note that, profile is partially visible, since bookmarks, interface customisation, history, saved logins & passwords etc are available.

System: Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon, 5.8.0-23-generic
Screenshot from 2020-10-20 18-41-32.png
Screenshot from 2020-10-20 18-56-29.png
Last edited by praveenp on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
Pepi
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Firefox update breaks profile settings

Post by Pepi »

My FireFox will not even run on 18.3 :oops:
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by karlchen »

praveenp wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am
Hm. In case other Mint users should confirm so, then the problems are not caused by genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0, I'd say.
Reason:
Since 15 min. roughly I have been using Firefox 82.0, and I cannot reproduce/see any of symptoms, which have been explained (and illustrated). My Firefox 82.0 works as expected. More importantly, the preferences dialogues all look and work in the same way as they did on Firefox 81.0.2.

Code: Select all

karl@unimatrix3:~ $ firefox --version
Mozilla Firefox 82.0
karl@unimatrix3:~ $ inxi -Sx3
System:    Host: unimatrix3 Kernel: 4.19.0-12-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Xfce 4.14.2 tk: Gtk 3.24.5 
           info: xfce4-panel wm: xfwm4 dm: LightDM 1.26.0 Distro: MX-19.2_x64 patito feo February 15  2020 
           base: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) 
Corrected:
My conclusion was premature. :oops:
The fact that my Firefox 82.0 runs without issues on the mentionend system only tells that my system is not affected by either of the 2 factors, which Clem had identified as the factors, which can make Firefox 82.0 fail:
+ being run inside Firejail
+ user environment uses an invalid LANG setting. Cf. Clem's post below
So genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0 may or may not exhibit precisely the same behaviour when either of the 2 factors applies.
Last edited by karlchen on Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added correcting statement, because I had jumped to a conlusion, which was not supported by the facts.
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Final Countdown
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

I updated to FF 82.0 from the LM20 ISO (to confirm it being unrelated to anything but the FF update) and indeed after updating all the search engines are removed from the browser. Edit: this only happens if no locale is set by the user.
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by praveenp »

It seems there is something different in including profile from this version. I've downloaded firefox 82 tar.bz2 from mozilla website; extracted and run. That didn't identify any profile, but displayed an alert box:
Screenshot from 2020-10-20 19-55-47.png
I have not performed sign in to firefox account after this update as suggested in the message. But it is still synced in Firefox 82.0 by linux mint.
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
Buffy

Post by Buffy »

Linux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon; my FF 82.0 (from update) seems fine, with DDG still my default search engine on all the profiles I had it set on. One profile that I had StartPage set as the default now has DDG, though. I had InfoGalactic set as an additional search engine, and it's still there.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

praveenp wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:28 am
Can you please run the command locale on the terminal and share its output here? You can select and copy text from the terminal through its Edit menu.

It looks like this issue ONLY happens for users that have either no LANG set in local or have set it to C.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Like Karl, I'm not seeing the described problem in LM20 Cinnamon.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

praveenp wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:42 am
It seems there is something different in including profile from this version. I've downloaded firefox 82 tar.bz2 from mozilla website; extracted and run.
That might explain the difference. I updated thru Update Manager.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
karlchen
Level 22
Level 22

Post by karlchen »

Hi, Praveen.

The genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0, downloaded and installed from the Mozilla .tar.bz2 archive file, will create an empty new user profile.
Yet, you can persuade this genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0 to use your existing Firefox user profile instead.
(If you want to. Once a user profile has been updated to Firefox 82.0, you can no longer use it for any older Firefox version.)

The steps have been explained for Thunderbird 78.3.2 in this post: > here <
The same steps should work on Firefox 82.0 accordingly.

Karl
The people of Alderaan keep on bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine.
The Final Countdown
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by praveenp »

xenopeek wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:47 am
Can you please run the command locale on the terminal and share its output here? You can select and copy text from the terminal through its Edit menu.
It looks like this issue ONLY happens for users that have either no LANG set in local or have set it to C.
My locale is Indian English; I don't have any specific reason to use this. Most probably I might have choose this out of curiosity during installation.

LANG=en_IN
LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
LC_CTYPE="en_IN"
LC_NUMERIC="en_IN"
LC_TIME="en_IN"
LC_COLLATE="en_IN"
LC_MONETARY="en_IN"
LC_MESSAGES="en_IN"
LC_PAPER="en_IN"
LC_NAME="en_IN"
LC_ADDRESS="en_IN"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_IN"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_IN"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_IN"
LC_ALL=

praveen||പ്രവീൺ
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by praveenp »

Larry78723 wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:53 am
That might explain the difference. I updated thru Update Manager.
No, I've updated my firefox through APT, but that instance not using profile completely, so I decided to check the Stock version.

karlchen wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:05 am

The genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0, downloaded and installed from the Mozilla .tar.bz2 archive file, will create an empty new user profile.
Yet, you can persuade this genuine Mozilla Firefox 82.0 to use your existing Firefox user profile instead.
(If you want to. Once a user profile has been updated to Firefox 82.0, you can no longer use it for any older Firefox version.)

The steps have been explained for Thunderbird 78.3.2 in this post: > here <
The same steps should work on Firefox 82.0 accordingly.

Karl
Thank you. I was not aware of this. But many others confirms that their existing profiles are working. Linux mint may be packaging with appropriate changes for that.

Mint/Ubuntu has not given update for Thunderbird 68.10.0; so it is okay for now, I think. :?
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

praveenp wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:18 am
My locale is Indian English; I don't have any specific reason to use this. Most probably I might have choose this out of curiosity during installation.

LANG=en_IN
How did you set this?

Our Language Settings program forces en_IN.UTF-8 because that is the best compatible with most programs and uses. You have set en_IN and I think that doesn't work correctly. Did you configure it manually? I suggest you try setting Indian English anew through Language Settings program.

This is what should be in your /etc/default/locale file:

LANG=en_IN.UTF-8
LANGUAGE=en_IN:en
LC_NUMERIC=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_TIME=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_MONETARY=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_PAPER=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_NAME=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_ADDRESS=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_TELEPHONE=en_IN.UTF-8
LC_MEASUREMENT=en_IN.UTF-8
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Take this for whatever it's worth:

I recently set up MX Linux as a VBox guest and transferred my .mozilla/firefox folder to it's home directory. When I launched firefox I got the "This installation of firefox has a new profile ..."

To correct this I reopened firefox and entered about:profiles

You end up with two major headings:
Profile:default
and
Profile:default-release
This is the profile in use and it cannot be deleted

The top one is the one I want but it's not set as the default so I selected "set as default profile", closed firefox, and when I brought it back up again I was good to go.

EDIT: I should have noted that the version of Firefox in MX is 82 and all my search engines were restored intact.
Last edited by altair4 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
xenopeek
Level 25
Level 25

Post by xenopeek »

Thanks for that altair4. Good suggestion to try.

An update is coming that will fix the issue between FF82.0 and systems with broken or unset locales.
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Post by clem »

Hi everyone,

We've two issues here:

- Search engines don't show up when the locale isn't set correctly
- Firefox doesn't launch when used with firejail

We've got fixes for both issues and we're working on sending them ASAP in a new update.
oldcharlie
Level 2
Level 2

Post by oldcharlie »

Thank you Clem,
I can confirm that firejail will not launch after The Firefox 82.0 update to Limux Mint 20.0 Cinnamon. Looking forward to the fix with appreciation in advance.
Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon 4.2.4 64 bit; 4.15.0-72 Kernel; Core i5-6260U, 16GB, Intel Iris Graphics 540
praveenp
Level 2
Level 2

Post by praveenp »

xenopeek wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:40 am
How did you set this?
I don't know! I don't remember setting anything around locale. Please note that I've installed this system in 2016, and I distro upgrade since then. Was that the format then?

locale -a gave me this list:

C
C.UTF-8
en_AG
en_AG.utf8
en_AU.utf8
en_BW.utf8
en_CA.utf8
en_DK.utf8
en_GB.utf8
en_HK.utf8
en_IE.utf8
en_IL
en_IL.utf8
en_IN
en_IN.utf8
en_NG
en_NG.utf8
en_NZ.utf8
en_PH.utf8
en_SG.utf8
en_US.utf8
en_ZA.utf8
en_ZM
en_ZM.utf8
en_ZW.utf8
POSIX

Which included both en_IN and en_IN.utf8, but update-locale en_IN.utf8 doesn't succeed updating from LANG="en_IN", so I had to manually edit the file for updating to LANG="en_IN.UTF-8" .

Once locale set in the format given by you, my all problem caused by this update is solved. Thank you. (I hope updating the thread solved is okay though update is due)
clem wrote:
Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:03 pm
We've got fixes for both issues and we're working on sending them ASAP in a new update.
Thank you Clem. :)
praveen||പ്രവീൺ
clem
Level 12
Level 12

Re: Firefox update breaks profile settings [solved]

Post by clem »

The fix is in Firefox 82.0+linuxmint5. That version was sent towards Mint 20. I'll post again when it reaches Mint 19.x and 18.x.
all41
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Firefox update breaks profile settings [solved]

Post by all41 »

Glad to see problems corrected, but fwiw---my systems were fine with FF 82+LM4 with no profile or firejail issues.
I tested each my LM20 Cin, MATE, and Xfce installs.
I wanted to see what all the commotion was about so I explicitly checked each of these for browser and sandbox operation
and all was peachy.
Is this due my locale setting?--I have never (consciously) changed this from default.

I took the FF 82+LM5 update and all is A-OK with that also.
Everything is difficult before it gets easy.

Return to “Software & Applications”