Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
llmunro
Level 2
Level 2

How do I make a desktop shortcut?

Post by llmunro »

Hi forum!

I've downloaded the 64 bit Linux version of the ClickUp desktop app. It appears to be installed and I can run it by double clicking on it but the file (an AppImage file?)
Screenshot from 2020-10-21 09-55-29.png
Screenshot from 2020-10-21 09-55-29.png (22.92 KiB) Viewed 153 times
is in my Downloads folder and I don't know how to make a shortcut for it on the launcher (which would be handy). How do I move it to where it should be and make a shortcut?

Thank you!!
pebcak
Level 2
Level 2

Re: How do I make a desktop shortcut?

Post by pebcak »

I have my appimages in /Applications/Appimages in the home directory. Then I create a desktop shortcut for them by right-clicking on the menu icon on the panel, go to menu tab and then open the menu editor. I choose a category and then add new item. Then I give it a name and in the command field I will give the full path to the appimage.
menu-editor.png
Edit: this is in Cinnamon
all41
Level 16
Level 16

Post by all41 »

If you right-click an empty spot on your desktop you will get an option to create a launcher (same as shown above)
Give it a name. In the command field choose Browse and navigate to the Appimage. You will be prompted to add the launcher to the menu.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
You will seldom see a grey-beard wearing a tinfoil hat.
mikeflan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeflan »

You can also create a shortcut by holding Ctrl and Shift, and dragging the application / file / folder to where you want the shortcut, and unclicking.

Return to “Software & Applications”