Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

[SOLVED]PhotoGimp Question from a LM Newbie

Post by JTemple »

I was about to add PhotoGimp to GIMP. I need to know if when I extract the ZIp folder to home file , do they go into the GIMP folder or do I want a separate folder for this patch. After extracting the files to the correct folder, do I then need to use the terminal to activate it in GIMP? I know these questions probably seem obtuse, in the extreme! I have next to no experience with adding patches and software via Flat pack except for what is already available in software manager. The instructions I read online are as clear mud to someone brand new to Linux. I need very elementary, step by steps. Thank you for any help.

Will use the GIMP Forum going forward.
Last edited by JTemple on Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Re: PhotoGimp Question from a LM Newbie

Post by Flemur »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:42 am
I was about to add PhotoGimp to GIMP. I need to know if when I extract the ZIp folder to home file , do they go into the GIMP folder or do I want a separate folder for this patch. After extracting the files to the correct folder, do I then need to use the terminal to activate it in GIMP? I know these questions probably seem obtuse, in the extreme!
The installation instructions on their website
https://github.com/Diolinux/PhotoGIMP
are even worse than average, with average being pretty bad:
How to Install PhotoGIMP's Patch.txt
Just Extract all *hidden* folder[sic] to your home repository
.icons
.var
.local
Only works with flatpak version for GIMP.
The readme.md file says
How to Install
This build is all about flatpak, but it also contains "just files" that you can use on any version of GIMP (.deb,.rpm, Snap, AppImage, Windows, macOS). Just check the localization of the GIMP files on every system/package.
...whatever that means.

Internet search on "PhotoGimp" "install" "linux" ...
https://thewisebulb.com/how-to-install- ... photoshop/
Go past "Install PhotoGIMP on Ubuntu" to "Steps" to see how to install it on regular (apt/deb) gimp installation.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

It looks as if PhotoGIMP was developed for the GIMP flatpak, and all of the (very bad) instructions seem to be focused on flatpak. I am not sure I see the point to PhotoGIMP - just about everything it purports to do can be done within GIMP Preferences. And the instructions, even for flatpak, are beyond bad.

It claims it can be used with any version of GIMP, and mentions AppImage specifically. So I tried to install it to the development version of the GIMP AppImage. I copied the files to the correct (I think) location, but nothing changed.

My advice: if you are transitioning from Photoshop to GIMP, take a little time to learn the GIMP interface. It gets undeserved criticism for being arcane and difficult to use, but I think the worst you can say is it is different from Photoshop. That does not make it bad; it just makes it different.

If you are looking for filters like Heal selection, consider the GIMP AppImage. It includes a lot of filters and plugins.
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous

You will want the current stable release, and it is located near the bottom of the file listing. The file you want is GIMP_AppImage-release-2.10.22-withplugins-x86_64.AppImage. Download the file, make it executable, and run. If you do not like it, simply delete the .AppImage file.
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

BenTrabetere wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 1:11 pm
I am not sure I see the point to PhotoGIMP - just about everything it purports to do can be done within GIMP Preferences. And the instructions, even for flatpak, are beyond bad.
Being used to Photoshop, I used it years ago and didn't like it - for one thing, it doesn't really make gimp look and act like photoshop.
If you are looking for filters like Heal selection, consider the GIMP AppImage. It includes a lot of filters and plugins.
https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-ap ... continuous
I got "heal" on an apt install (JTemple, that's a "normal package" installation, like from the software manager) of gimp by installing
gimp-gmic
gimp-plugin-registry
gimp-python
Make sure gimp-python is installed because it won't work without it does not get pulled in as "required".

Then filters->Enhance->Heal selection.
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

Well, I've been using Photoshop 7.0 for circa, 20 years. I have the "Class Room In A Book" of over 500 pages! It is disheartening to have spent so much time on Photoshop and then start over from scratch with GIMP. I love Photoshop and it is the one program that prevents me from turning my newest, most powerful, gaming computer over to Linux. It is the ONLY program I don't want to live without.
EDIT:
GIMP has function flaws! I've just been playing with it and find many settings don't work. Filters IE: basic, fun legacy, media, sketch, splatters, texture can not be changed from one to an other. I click on a different mode and it just stays frozen. (In this case it only gives me splatters) It is proving an exercise in frustration!
Last edited by JTemple on Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt. “- Bertrand Russell (I suspect I'm often of the stupid variety!)
BenTrabetere
Level 6
Level 6

Post by BenTrabetere »

JTemple wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:13 pm
Well, I've been using Photoshop 7.0 for circa, 20 years. I have the "Class Room In A Book" of over 500 pages! It is disheartening to have spent so much time on Photoshop and then start over from scratch with GIMP.
I have a huge investment in Photoshop books, and most of the instructions apply to GIMP, too. I would be very surprised if it were different for "Class Room In A Book".

The steepest part learning curve for me was the transition from Photoshop Actions to GIMP batch editing (BIMP), and the biggest difficulty I had was reworking the Actions I had created/acquired over the years. It was not difficult, but it was tedious.
I love Photoshop and it is the one program that prevents me from turning my newest, most powerful, gaming computer over to Linux.

I stopped upgrading at Photoshop CS2. It ran well in a Win7 virtual machine, and for a while I ran it in a ReactOS vm. WineHW rates this version Gold, but it was very unstable for me.
It is the ONLY program I don't want to live without.

THIS is your obstacle. I understand - it is hard to walk away from the time and money you invested in Photoshop. I faced the same obstacle, and I found the transition was much easier than I imagined.
Even if I learn the basics of using GIMP, I suspect it will not be as powerful as Photoshop, even my old 7.0 edition.
I find GIMP is just as good as Photoshop for editing photographs.

The biggest deficiency for me is the lack of Pantone support, and at one time CYMK support was an issue. Another deficiency was it forced me to adjust my publication workflow - Adobe products are highly integrated, which is nice. You do not get the same level of integration with GIMP, Scribus, and Inkscape.
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

@BenTrabetere It gets worse! At least since upgrading to LM 20. Lots of buttons don't work and are just frozen. I'm getting rid of GIMP. At the very least, I need an application that functions!
Flemur
Level 18
Level 18

Post by Flemur »

JTemple wrote:
Well, I've been using Photoshop 7.0 for circa, 20 years.
Photoshop 7 runs very nicely under wine (and I use it rather than gimp even though gimp is installed) - if you install wine, follow the instructions on the Mint website in the release notes for your Mint version; DON'T follow the instructions on winehq.

And FWIW, you might be able to "install" photoshop 7 in wine just by copying the installation directory (Under "Program Files") from windows into the wine "prefix" (the $HOME/.wine directory, which mimics a windows installation. You won't have your custome settings, but you can probably copy those over too, if you know where to find them in windows (I do this when moving photoshop to a new wine installation, but copy those directories from an old wine installation, not from a windows partition)

Does this look familiar? Created with PS-7 but converted to jpg in irfan-view:
photoshop-7.jpg
Edit: Here's where the settings are, under wine:

Code: Select all

$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/username/Application Data/Adobe/FileBrowser/Photoshop7
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/username/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop
$HOME/.wine/drive_c/users/username/Application Data/Adobe/Photoshop/7.0/Adobe Photoshop 7.0 Settings
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

Flemur wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:04 pm
JTemple wrote:
Well, I've been using Photoshop 7.0 for circa, 20 years.
Photoshop 7 runs very nicely under wine (and I use it rather than gimp even though gimp is installed) - if you install wine, follow the instructions on the Mint website in the release notes for your Mint version; DON'T follow the instructions on winehq.

And FWIW, you might be able to "install" Photoshop 7 in wine just by copying the installation directory (Under "Program Files") from windows into the wine "prefix" (the $HOME/.wine directory, which mimics a windows installation. You won't have your custom settings, but you can probably copy those over too, if you know where to find them in windows (I do this when moving Photoshop to a new wine installation, but copy those directories from an old wine installation, not from a windows partition)
Thank You for that & The codes that I have copied and stored.
Couldn't I just use the wine in Software Manager's repository and just hit the install button?
SM Wine.png
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

No, it won't install the full WINE package set properly.

https://linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

antikythera wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:20 pm
No, it won't install the full WINE package set properly.

https://linuxmint.com/rel_ulyana_cinnamon.php
I'm giving Crossover a try instead. It's said to work better than wine. If it works, I'll pay up and buy the key.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

As for running PS-7 under wine: Been there, done that and not impressed. You are far better off learning how to use Gimp and other graphics tools that run natively in Linux than buggy under wine. To each their own and you'll have to learn for yourself.

P.S. I have my Gimp setup to look much like photoshop, I did that from day one. Some things are done slightly different in Gimp, but I'll never go back to photoshop.

Gimp Rocks!
mikeflan
Level 2
Level 2

Post by mikeflan »

I'm giving Crossover a try instead. It's said to work better than wine. If it works, I'll pay up and buy the key.
Another option: Wine would not install for me, but Play on Linux works good.
JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

racer-x wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:44 am
As for running PS-7 under wine: Been there, done that and not impressed. You are far better off learning how to use Gimp and other graphics tools that run natively in Linux than buggy under wine. To each their own and you'll have to learn for yourself.

P.S. I have my Gimp setup to look much like photoshop, I did that from day one. Some things are done slightly different in Gimp, but I'll never go back to photoshop.

Gimp Rocks!
How would I fix the functionality problems I mentioned earlier. For me, in LM 20, buttons fail to work and it's difficult to change tools because what ever tool I try, it wants to keep sticking to the one I first choose.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

JTemple wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:22 pm
How would I fix the functionality problems I mentioned earlier. For me, in LM 20, buttons fail to work and it's difficult to change tools because what ever tool I try, it wants to keep sticking to the one I first choose.
This is not the place to ask these simple questions, use a gimp forum. It functions that way by design in Gimp 2.10.20 and beyond. The tools are in groups, so when you want to select a tool in a group, you need to open the group and click on the tool in the group.

JTemple
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JTemple »

racer-x wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:12 pm
JTemple wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:22 pm
This is not the place to ask these simple questions, use a gimp forum. It functions that way by design in Gimp 2.10.20 and beyond. The tools are in groups, so when you want to select a tool in a group, you need to open the group and click on the tool in the group.
SORRY! I did choose the Newbie board. I did think that was the correct place for "simple questions" from inexperienced users. :(
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

This forum is mostly about Linux Mint. If you want to get questions answered about Gimp, you are better off going to a Gimp forum like gimpchat.com for example. There will be many more knowledgable people that can assist you better. Very few people here have extensive knowledge about how to use Gimp.

Return to “Software & Applications”