Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
Parmanand Motiramani
Level 1
Level 1

Clam Anti Virus Settings

Post by Parmanand Motiramani »

What are the default settings for Clam Anti Virus? I'm attaching a screenshot of the settings window. Which are the boxes that I need to check?
Screenshot at 2020-10-28 13-14-53.png
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Clam Anti Virus Settings

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Parmanand Motiramani wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 am
What are the default settings for Clam Anti Virus?
I think you'll be lucky to get a response because none of the regulars here, at least that I'm aware of, run such rubbish or even advocate using an AV. An AV is only needed if you run a server that serves Windows executables and certain other Windows files to Windows machines that are susceptible, such as MS Office documents. An AV is very much pointless on Linux. That said, if you're paranoid, turn everything on. At least you might sleep better.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
It's pronounced kad-eye-cha, not kada-itcha.
Moem
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Moem »

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:06 am
That said, if you're paranoid, turn everything on. At least you might sleep better.
If the OP turns on PUAs, many benevolent parts of their Linux OS will be flagged as such. Not sure that will make anyone sleep better.

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Moem wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:42 am
Kadaitcha Man wrote:
That said, if you're paranoid, turn everything on. At least you might sleep better.
If the OP turns on PUAs, many benevolent parts of their Linux OS will be flagged as such. Not sure that will make anyone sleep better.
lol - ok, point taken.
Coming to a thread near you: Lots of bragging about my AMD 5950X. Currently delayed due to high demand.
Parmanand Motiramani
Level 1
Level 1

Kadaitcha Man wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:49 am
What are the default settings for Clam Anti Virus?
I think you'll be lucky to get a response because none of the regulars here, at least that I'm aware of, run such rubbish or even advocate using an AV. An AV is only needed if you run a server that serves Windows executables and certain other Windows files to Windows machines that are susceptible, such as MS Office documents. An AV is very much pointless on Linux. That said, if you're paranoid, turn everything on. At least you might sleep better.
I sometimes need to scan USB drives that were previously plugged into computers that run windows OS. But there is no "External drive scan" option in Clam AV. Also I need to know what boxes should I check in the settings dialog box.
Do tell me if I should install some other Anti Virus on my Linux Mint MATE or Clam AV works just fine.
JoeFootball
Level 9
Level 9

Post by JoeFootball »

Parmanand Motiramani wrote: I sometimes need to scan USB drives that were previously plugged into computers that run windows OS.
And what would a Windows virus do to a Linux system?
Parmanand Motiramani wrote: Do tell me if I should install some other Anti Virus on my Linux Mint MATE or Clam AV works just fine.
I prefer to use common sense. :)
Monteparnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monteparnas »

If you really want to go forward with this idea, no need to select anything else. The unselected options are for things that do not exist on Windows.

This selection is to define what kind of archive will be scanned, the drivers will be selected when you have to select which directories to scan.

But seriously, I don't think this' a good idea.

Viruses are system-dependent. A Windows virus won't be able to do anything to your Linux system, no matter what, they'll simply not work. Indeed, some of them will just appear as weird files that you can delete manually without issue. The ones built into other files can also appear as weird lines or something.

Also, precisely because of that an AV for Linux isn't likely to do you any good against those. Probably it isn't able to recognize Windows viruses to begin with, and even if it can it simply won't be nearly as effective at detecting them as dedicated Windows AVs, specially the good ones.

So, if you just want to protect your own system forget about AVs unless you're really paranoid. Linux-specific viruses are rare, few and far between, and an AV will do more harm than good. If you have to clean those drivers for Windows users then go ahead or, better yet, search manually the file systems for strange data and back it up with a proper Windows AV.
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

The best ClamAV settings in Linux? Uninstalling it.

You don't need AV software in Linux because you'd have to be a complete idiot to write viruses for Linux. Seriously, it has a very protected kernel space and a very small user base. WHy would you bother?

Clam is only meant for Linux email servers to flag attachments. As a general purpose AV program, like you DO need in WIndows, it's a joke.

Funny thing is, the only complaints with clam you see on forums is the high number of false positives. If that isn't a sign of trying to fix a nonexistent problem I don't know what it is.

Note: that doesn't mean you can't get hacked in Linux. But I've known people whio think they have a virus if they hit the wrong keystroke so I always feel the need to say that.
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 am
Do tell me if I should install some other Anti Virus on my Linux Mint MATE or Clam AV works just fine.
You should uninstall the AV. Every post in thread has told you that it's pointlessly unnecessary.
tgwilt
Level 3
Level 3

Post by tgwilt »

Although linuc viruses are rare, read this article:
https://www.unixmen.com/meet-linux-viruses/
A decade or so ago, I was the email administrator for a small, local ISP. It was running FreeBSD with linux binary compatibility. It was struck by a virust that hid all programs and directories.
Since email is a critical service, I had to scramble. Ended up re-installing the OS without linux binaary compatibility, and started using amivisd, an rmail addon that will scan email using an antivirus of your choice, and also can scan for spam using Spamassassin.

Now that I am retired a(best job ever), I use Linux Mint on my homr machines, don't worry about viruses (or virii) and don't use any antivirus. I feel reasonably secure. I don't run a firewall, either.

That's my opinion, and some will disagree. Bottom line? Yes, there are linux viruses. Your chance of being infected? Almost non-existant.
Monteparnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monteparnas »

tgwilt wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:56 pm
That's my opinion, and some will disagree. Bottom line? Yes, there are linux viruses. Your chance of being infected? Almost non-existant.
I don't think many here disagree. The time when a virus on Linux was only a hypothesis is long past.

But the time when an AV will be relevant for home use is yet to come. Only a few tasks like e-mail server have even a chance of being targeted, unless you have reason to think someone will develop a virus only for you (or, lets say, your company). And in that last case an AV won't help you either, regardless of OS.

On the other hand the problems an AV can cause will be still there. The cost-benefit simply doesn't make it.
baj
Level 2
Level 2

Post by baj »

It's not completely useless.

At my company we are more than 50% Linux users (host OS). We all must use Windows for parts of our jobs which us Linux guys do in VMs. We have customers who require virus scanning as part of our contacts, so for the Linux folders we share with VM's, we use Clam AV.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

At my company we are more than 50% Linux users (host OS). We all must use Windows for parts of our jobs which us Linux guys do in VMs. We have customers who require virus scanning as part of our contacts, so for the Linux folders we share with VM's, we use Clam AV.
That issue of WHEN it IS of any use was already addressed in the first response to the OPs posting.
I think you'll be lucky to get a response because none of the regulars here, at least that I'm aware of, run such rubbish or even advocate using an AV. An AV is only needed if you run a server that serves Windows executables and certain other Windows files to Windows machines that are susceptible, such as MS Office documents. An AV is very much pointless on Linux.
For the average, everyday, home user, that is not a server or working in a work environment that uses Windows and shares files back and forth to Windows users such as serving e-mail etc., then ya, its totally and completely useless and can actually compromise a Linux system by creating an attack surface to be infiltrated by those that hack A/V software as a way into a system since installation and use of Anti-Virus software Requires "root" access and priviledges.

DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Parmanand Motiramani
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks everyone for all the replies. :)
Kadaitcha Man
Level 11
Level 11

Post by Kadaitcha Man »

baj wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 5:03 pm
What was actually written:
Kadaitcha Man wrote: An AV is only needed if you run a server that serves Windows executables and certain other Windows files to Windows machines that are susceptible, such as MS Office documents. An AV is very much pointless on Linux.

Return to “Software & Applications”