Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
loybanks
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint 20 AntiVirus Software <SOLVED>

Post by loybanks »

I am needing LinuxMint Antivirus Software. Have been trying to install COMODO, but running into dependency issues, so it is not installed. Simply stated I do need the software. Want the best software for LinuxMint 20. Does not have to be Comodo, just the best free software out there.

So need some expert advice on how to go about getting some great, approved antivirus software for my two machines, laptop and desktop.

As always my thanks to all.
Last edited by loybanks on Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Loy Banks (80 Years Old)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Re: LinuxMint 20 AntiVirus Software

Post by antikythera »

For what purpose? Linux doesn't typically need antivirus unless you are hosting a public server for files, a website which allows file storage or providing mail hosting for example.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... y.html#ID1
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
loybanks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by loybanks »

I have been having some issues and thought AntiVirus might help. That's about it. So still would like to install a good software for that purpose.
Loy Banks (80 Years Old)
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear smart until you hear what they are saying.
antikythera
Level 9
Level 9

Post by antikythera »

What you could do is run Kaspersky Rescue Disk once in a while for peace of mind. It works with linux file systems and supports most network devices. You need the network connection to update the databases before a scan. I tried it recently on my own machines and of course it found nothing but I wanted to see what had changed since version 10 of the ISO. It uses a build of Gentoo XFCE with KDE Oxygen icons to look as much like Windows as it can do.

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18

The only linux scanner I am aware of that properly supports Mint 20 is called clamav but it's notorious for false positives. This can lead to users deleting critical files and messing up their systems.
Don't take life so seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway!
AMSTRAD CPC6128 - 128KB RAM, 3" Hitachi Floppy Diskette Drive, External Sony Cassette Recorder, Locomotive BASIC 1.1, CTM-644 Monitor
RIH
Level 5
Level 5

Post by RIH »

OP, you have given us your solution to your problem.
If you need help then you should give us your problem & the technical data outlined in this thread & await solutions.. :D
help.png
help.png (14.05 KiB) Viewed 469 times
Monteparnas
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Monteparnas »

loybanks wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:14 am
So need some expert advice on how to go about getting some great, approved antivirus software for my two machines, laptop and desktop.
The expert advice on Linux will always be to not do that.

Running an antivirus for no good reason can actually harm your system if you don't know what you're doing, and generally isn't advisable on Linux. There is a reason why the antivirus should be the first try on a Windows machine, there is a reason why it isn't on Linux. It isn't even just because Windows is worse, actually there are a couple of possible sources for your problems that are far more common on Linux than on Windows, each system is full of particularities.

So there is no great, approved antivirus software for Linux, and the ones that exist shouldn't be run for nothing, but after you're really sure that your problem is a virus.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi loybanks,
loybanks wrote:I have been having some issues and thought AntiVirus might help. That's about it. So still would like to install a good software for that purpose.
I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this a well.

Please explain in detail what issues you are having that you think having an anti-virus software would help with?
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Linux Mint 20 AntiVirus Software <SOLVED>

Post by phd21 »

Hi loybanks,

Although you do not need an always running real-time antivirus anti-malware package in Linux and it is not recommended, here are some links to review.

Older post, but my instructions for Install and Use Linux Malware Detect (LMD) with ClamAV are still accurate.
Need for an antivirus.? - Linux Mint Forums
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=238726&hilit=maldet

New 2020
How to Install and Use Linux Malware Detect (LMD) with ClamAV as Antivirus Engine
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... nd-fedora/

How to Install and Use Linux Malware Detect (LMD) with ClamAV as Antivirus Engine
https://www.tecmint.com/install-linux-m ... nd-fedora/

Hope this helps ...

Phil
phd21
Last edited by phd21 on Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

Let's pair that Linux anti-virus with a good Linux disk defragmenter....
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Larry78723 »

lol............ :lol: :lol: :lol:
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

Let's pair that Linux anti-virus with a good Linux disk defragmenter....
That sounds like a good "Pants load" of something, Just looking for a nice place to happen...lol...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi all,
antikythera wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:36 am
What you could do is run Kaspersky Rescue Disk once in a while for peace of mind.
Like the original poster of this thread, being used to Windows and now running a dual boot arrangement with LM20 and Windows 7 (the latter disconnected from the internet), I have been a little concerned about potential virus problems so I have use clam-av along with its gui application clam-tk. I can confirm that it does indeed produce a lot of false positives so you have to be alert, not panic, and ensure nothing important is removed. Almost invariably these false positives fall into one of the following categories: browser and email client cache files, Windows executable files and Windows password protected files. Other than that, clam-av was not a major problem but did I really need it - I did move files around between Windows and LM20.

Whether or not to have AV software installed in Linux systems comes up regularly in the forum and I view such threads with interest and have contributed occasionally. The vast majority of the experts express the view that Linux operating systems do not require AV software. I am no expert and in reading the comments of these experts, especially from those individuals who explain in calm and clear language why they hold their view rather suggest anyone holding a different view is an idiot, I have got to the point where I am about to ditch clam-av and clam-tk.

The post from antikythera, from which the quote above is taken, was the final decider for me. I have created a live bootable usb memory stick, with persistence, of the Kaspersky Rescue Disk and tried it out. It works well, is fairly quick, does not require space on the hard drive and gives me an extra bit of confidence so thank you very much antikythera.
loybanks
Level 2
Level 2

Post by loybanks »

What are your instructions for creating the USB Stick for AV? Thanks.
Loy Banks (80 Years Old)
Schultz
Level 8
Level 8

Post by Schultz »

Don't run AV on Linux. It's not needed, and make you less secure (link below). If you want to run an AV, you might as well be using Microsoft Windows.

https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.c ... urity.html
Kester
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Kester »

Hi Loy,

Creating the bootable memory stick is quite easy. You need to download the iso file from the link antikythera gave you and then run a live usb disk creator program such as 'Startup Disk Creator' which is in the repositories. I can't tell you how to use that program because I transferred the downloaded iso file from LM20 to the Windows 7 partition of my dual boot arrangement (Windows has the internet connection disabled) where I used a program called 'LinuxLive USB Creator' to perform the task.

You can create the live media on a cd/dvd but the advantage of using a memory stick is that you can include persistence which allows you to retain the virus definition updates in the media itself. Create the live media and boot your system and, if you are using a memory stick, you will find a menu option to create a persistence folder. You need to specify what size this should be up to a maximum of up to about 4gb. If your stick is big enough, choose the maximum. If you don't use persistence or create the live media on cd/dvd then you can save the definition updates on your internal drive. However, having live media with persistence is an advantage, you can use it on other computers without constantly having to update and you are not leaving any files on your system that might possibly cause problems.

Return to “Software & Applications”