Solved: Updates in Software Manager are vetted first - new updates not accessible right away

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
quartchug
Level 1
Level 1

Solved: Updates in Software Manager are vetted first - new updates not accessible right away

Post by quartchug »

I noticed that Libre Office had an update (from 6.4.6.2 to 7.0.3). I went to the LO web site and downloaded the new version. I cannot find a wizard to install it. All the "open" command does is display the contents of the folders and files. Mint's software manager offers the old version (6.4.6.2) and I don't know how to get the software manager to install the new version or even notice that it is available.
Last edited by quartchug on Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DAMIEN1307
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Updates in Software Manager are old - new updates not accessible

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

I noticed that Libre Office had an update (from 6.4.6.2 to 7.0.3).
There is a reason why in Ubuntu and Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu that the newest, "OOOOOH SHINEY" software is not as up to date as you would have it.

It goes through some QC first, before being allowed into the "update manager" as well as the latest version in the "software manager" to make sure there are no bugs or other problems that would not play well with your OS, so you dont break your LM.

When you download the "latest" and "greatest" versions of things from outside the repositories and updaters, you increase your risk of breaking something that we would be unable to help you with because you downloaded from an outside source complicating any advice or "fixes" we could possibly provide.

Is there a particular problem or "bug" that you are presently experiencing with your version of LO at present necessitating you getting it from an outside source rather than waiting for the proper vetting that is done by Ubuntu and Mint before it is then added to the updater and software manager???...DAMIEN
ORDO AB CHAO
"I refuse to be assimilated, I refuse to become one with the Borg Collective"
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

DAMIEN1307 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:41 pm
I noticed that Libre Office had an update (from 6.4.6.2 to 7.0.3).
There is a reason why in Ubuntu and Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu that the newest, "OOOOOH SHINEY" software is not as up to date as you would have it.

It goes through some QC first, before being allowed into the "update manager" as well as the latest version in the "software manager" to make sure there are no bugs or other problems that would not play well with your OS, so you dont break your LM.

When you download the "latest" and "greatest" versions of things from outside the repositories and updaters, you increase your risk of breaking something that we would be unable to help you with because you downloaded from an outside source complicating any advice or "fixes" we could possibly provide.

Is there a particular problem or "bug" that you are presently experiencing with your version of LO at present necessitating you getting it from an outside source rather than waiting for the proper vetting that is done by Ubuntu and Mint before it is then added to the updater and software manager???...DAMIEN
DAMIEN is correct.

This ain't Windows security updates, folks.
karlchen
Level 21
Level 21

Post by karlchen »

Hello, quartchug.

Based on another post submitted by you, I assume that you are using Mint 20. In case this is not right, please, share with us which Mint version you are using.
Further I assume that
  • you downloaded the LibreOffice 7.0.3 installation package named LibreOffice_7.0.3_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz
  • from this website: LibreOffice 7.0.3
  • the download file LibreOffice_7.0.3_Linux_x86-64_deb.tar.gz is located in your Downloads folder.
Provided all the details are correct so far, then you will have to follow the LibreOffice instruction steps for .deb packages
(because Mint uses .deb packages)

The steps can be found in the file "README_en-US", which can be found inside the subfolder readmes, after the .tar.gz archive has been extracted.

Please find the most relevant section from the file README_en-US quoted below.
README_en-US wrote: Installation of LibreOffice on Debian/Ubuntu-based Linux systems
----------------------------------------------------------------------

For instructions on how to install a language pack (after having installed the US English version of LibreOffice), please read the section below entitled Installing a Language Pack.

When you unpack the downloaded archive, you will see that the contents have been decompressed into a sub-directory. Open a file manager window, and change directory to the one starting with "LibreOffice_", followed by the version number and some platform information.

This directory contains a subdirectory called "DEBS". Change directory to the "DEBS" directory.

Right-click within the directory and choose "Open in Terminal". A terminal window will open. From the command line of the terminal window, enter the following command (you will be prompted to enter your root user's password before the command will execute):

The following commands will install LibreOffice and the desktop integration packages (you may just copy and paste them into the terminal screen rather than trying to type them):

sudo dpkg -i *.deb

The installation process is now completed, and you should have icons for all the LibreOffice applications in your desktop's Applications/Office menu
Follow the instruction steps carefully.
Good luck.
Karl
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit Cinnamon, Total Commander 9.51 64-bit
Haß gleicht einer Krankheit, dem Miserere, wo man vorne herausgibt, was eigentlich hinten wegsollte. (Goethe)
onepiece
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onepiece »

Appreciate EVERYONE's contribution to this discussion... One of those topics where everyone is right even thought they appear to be 180 degrees from one another. I too would like to Update to the newest LibreOffice...and the newest SHOTCUT video editor and like Quartchug, LM 20's software manager does not see it.
The MINT folks are very busy and I wouldn't expect they have the time to do the ideal QC that Damien explained.

My question - If Libre Office program is loaded the way KARICHEN indicated...will TWO copies of LO (the old and new LO versions) show up on the menus or only one? Will either the Mint Software Manager or Mint Synaptic Program Manager somehow "re register" the newer version to keep up with future changes? How to uninstall it if there are problems?
Long ago, I remember reading an article on what's preserved and what's not tracked when you do manual program loading in MInt. Can anyone help out with these questions? Thank you.
MartyMint
Level 7
Level 7

Post by MartyMint »

onepiece wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:24 pm
will TWO copies of LO (the old and new LO versions) show up on the menus or only one? Will either the Mint Software Manager or Mint Synaptic Program Manager somehow "re register" the newer version to keep up with future changes? How to uninstall it if there are problems?
You will not get updates through Synaptic if you install it as an appimage.
quartchug
Level 1
Level 1

Post by quartchug »

Okay, I'll wait. I did pursue the update just because it was "up to date." I do understand that third party software won't be vetted as soon as Linux system updates.

Return to “Software & Applications”