Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

enqueueing into a Celluloid playlist from Nemo and elsewhere

Post by fbachofner »

With VLC presenting a number of problems ever since Mint 20 (conking out, no PPA with current VLC version -- at least for distros based on recent Ubuntu versions, etc.) I thought I would give Celluloid another try. [ I generally abhor Flatpacks, Snaps and the like, which is how VLC now "likes" to be installed. ]

Meanwhile, my only real problem with Celluloid is that I can not seem to add files to the playlist by an obvious method in Nemo.

Double-clicking a file immediately replaces the currently playing file. Furthermore, right-clicking a new file does not give an option similar to "add to the Celluloid playlist" which I would expect (and is generally available with other programs such as VLC).

There is no preference I can find in Celluloid which seems to affect this.

Does someone have good Celluloid-Fu?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by fbachofner on Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
various self-built desktop machines and an HP Pavilion DM1Z
each runs LinuxMint 20 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare local login)
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Re: enqueueing into a Celluloid playlist from Nemo and elsewhere

Post by Hoser Rob »

I think this is a consequence of using a very light media player, you just don't get all the features of something huge by comparison like VLC. According to the celluloid docs you can drag & drop files to a playlist.

If this isn't adequate try installing smplayer, which is another mpv GUI front end. It was my default even in WIndows before I gave that up. You should get an "enqueue in smplayer" option in nemo with that but I haven't used Cinnamon for a while. It's an excellent player anyway.
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

Hi @Hoser Rob:

Thanks . . . and weird, I answered this a couple days ago and now see it was not posted.
Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am
According to the celluloid docs you can drag & drop files to a playlist.
I am aware of that, but it is not keyboard friendly, unfortunately.

Also, MPV (on which Celluloid is based) suggests shift-drag-dropping a file anywhere to the player window (not just the playlist) should enqueue a file. That would make for a bigger target at least.

Shortly after my initial post here, I made an enhancement (and bugfix wrt MPV mimicry) request on Celluloid's GitHub which references the above oversight and the enqueuing-from-file-manager issue.

It was quickly recognized and I am pleased to note was assigned as of 2 days ago.

Hoser Rob wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:27 am
If this isn't adequate try installing smplayer, which is another mpv GUI front end. It was my default even in WIndows before I gave that up. You should get an "enqueue in smplayer" option in nemo with that but I haven't used Cinnamon for a while. It's an excellent player anyway.
This is a good idea. Unfortunately, I could never get SMPlayer to look non-cartoonish and legible in the past. No matter what I did, SMPlayer either looked like some freakish WindowsXP abomination (akin to XP's default "Fisher-Price" skin) or (with a more refined SMPlayer skin) the icons are so small I could barely see them.

While waiting on Celluloid enhancement, I'll read up on SMPlayer skinning and see if there are newer, better options.

Thanks again!
Last edited by fbachofner on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare local login)
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

I am very pleased to report that the Celluloid developer added the drag and drop to the video window/enqueue-to-playlist feature today. This was almost like a bug since MPV calls for the feature.

see here: https://github.com/celluloid-player/cel ... 477ea4e622

Further, they have "added a new action for adding items to the playlist, so a file manager can potentially use this to display a context menu item."
see: https://github.com/celluloid-player/cel ... -731720375

I will let Clem and the LinuxMint team know so that Nemo can deal with this when they get a chance.

I am amazed at how responsive Github's @gnome-mpv was at addressing this bug-fix and enhancement request. Thanks!!
axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil »

Until the new Celluloid appears in a stable release in a proper repository - one accessible by apt-get in Debian or Ubuntu, it can't be expected to be treated as a "baked-in" permanent feature by Mint.
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

axisofevil wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:58 pm
Until the new Celluloid appears in a stable release in a proper repository - one accessible by apt-get in Debian or Ubuntu, it can't be expected to be treated as a "baked-in" permanent feature by Mint.
Absolutely true.

Also there is work to be done by the Mint development team to add enqueueing directly to Nemo.

To that end, I submitted an enhancement request to the Nemo GitHub project a bit earlier today.

It will be really interesting to see whether the developers run with this. Hopefully it would be simple since there is similar functionality for other programs via Nemo -- for example, right click a file to "send by e-mail" (i.e. as an e-mail attachment) . . . or "open with" a whole host of programs such as VLC (which will allow enqueueing based on a setting in VLC).
Last edited by fbachofner on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
axisofevil
Level 3
Level 3

Post by axisofevil »

Probably not a priority for nemo.
It will only encourage someone to ask for some special treatment for application Y.

You could always write a nemo user extension that will send the appropriate filename(s) to Celluloid?

Already have right-click to open a selection of programs .
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

At 23rd Nov, Dragon Droppings adds files to the playlist in Celloid v0.17 from Thunar, Dolphin, PCManFM and SpaceFM in Mint Xfce. So I installed Nemo.

Dragging a file and dropping it on the playlist enqueued the file. Dragging a file onto the player window replaces the playlist with the new file, rather than adding it to the list.

MISSING from Celluloid is the ability to CLEAR the Playlist using right click in the Playlist.

MISSING from Nemo is a context menu item to Enqueue the file in Celluloid.
Something very easily fixed by an experienced user, but not for most beginners, at least not without guidance.

One thing I like about Celluloid is that in Windowed mode, it retains the size when switching between items, especially when the playlist is a mix of mp3 and mp4 etc. Some other players resize the player window every time there's a new track - which is annoying as hell.

If the 'Clear Playlist' function is added to Celluloid (something the developer should consider, and the enqueue Context Menu item is added to Nemo (something simple that I think could be a responsibility of Clem's team if Celluloid is a Default player in Mint), Celluloid will probably be the player of choice for many Mint users who don't need the advanced functions of VLC.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

axisofevil wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm
Probably not a priority for nemo.
It will only encourage someone to ask for some special treatment for application Y.
VLC is the defacto standard bearer in this arena and Mint users are used to the ability to enqueue files to VLC from past versions.

Mint clearly seems to seek having users avoid "snaps." That is now the main modality for distribution of VLC to Ubuntu-based distros . . . so "enter" Celluloid.

Given that right-click "open with" is already there for Celluloid this doesn't seem like "special treatment" in any way. And it would just add back functionality which was previously available to Mint users. [ Keep in mind, the version of VLC in the repositories is "broken" with Mint 20 (and not current), a relevant PPA is not available . . . so VLC is not an option anymore. ]

I should maybe also point out one reason why enqueueing is so useful. While many people may just watch one or two movies or TV shows, enqueueing lots of (short?) videos is particularly useful for video editing.

It is often much quicker to find the appropriate video (clip) in a "pure" player like Celluloid or VLC before adding the media to an editing program's "bin." When enqueued, such players can quickly go from file to file (all the while displaying the filename!), so it becomes easy to find the media one wants to put into the editor. [ Yes, editors obviously have the ability to play video, but the interface is often not optimal for playing a lot of (especially) non-binned files in a row. ]

axisofevil wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:48 pm
You could always write a nemo user extension that will send the appropriate filename(s) to Celluloid?
Do you mean a Nemo plugins extension (or would it be a plugin "action" or a "script"?)

Either way, great idea . . . OK, that could really work in the interim (as soon as Celluloid updates packages and they are available to Mint).

However, I am a power user and 1) am willing to try such a thing and 2) barely knew this Nemo plugins functionality existed.

Meanwhile, "regular" users right click all over the place to discover built-in features but are exceptionally unlikely to know that a plugin could be used for this (again: previously available) functionality. If they do somehow figure out this could become a route, regular users will also likely easily become intimidated by the programming aspect.

Also, where is the documentation for writing plugins? Neither the "Linux Mint User Guide" nor the developer documentation seem to have anything on Nemo, much less Nemo plugins.

Lastly, if this can be achieved by a bash shell script (plugged into Nemo) I'm immediately game to try. If it will require Python, I am likely out of my depth.
Last edited by fbachofner on Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

Thank you @rossdv8 for chiming in!
rossdv8 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:25 pm
Dragging a file and dropping it on the playlist enqueued the file. Dragging a file onto the player window replaces the playlist with the new file, rather than adding it to the list.
The developer of Celluloid has fixed this (today) after I had pointed it out. See further above for details and links to the issue in Github.

rossdv8 wrote:
Something very easily fixed by an experienced user, but not for most beginners, at least not without guidance.
I consider myself quite highly experienced on Mint (had one of the most searched solutions to a WiFi problem a number of years ago and I set up about a dozen Mint machines each year often in somewhat complex mutli-machine environments with fairly advanced -- or at least atypical -- configurations) and am just starting to conceive of a "fix" thanks to @axisofevil 's response to my posts.

Unfortunately, I say this Nemo-fixing is a bit opaque except maybe for developers who regularly think of plugins. Worse, the documentation doesn't seem to be there (but fortunately my search-fu a moment ago started pulling up some decent 3rd party resources).

Can you elaborate on your fix idea? Perhaps we could collaborate and upload an elegant plugin which could be distributed (by default?) with Mint.

rossdv8 wrote:
and the enqueue Context Menu item is added to Nemo (something simple that I think could be a responsibility of Clem's team if Celluloid is a Default player in Mint), Celluloid will probably be the player of choice for many Mint users who don't need the advanced functions of VLC.
Thank you for supporting the point I am trying to make (Celluloid is the newer default, VLC used to be and has this functionality). The Celluloid developer has added an "action" to make this easier for Mint to achieve.

Please consider chiming in (supporting my enhancement request, for example) on GitHub: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo/issues/2567
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

Regarding Nemo Plugin "Documentation"

OK, I found some potentially useful stuff at:

/usr/share/nemo/script-info.md
and
/usr/share/nemo/actions/sample.nemo_action (plus one can obviously look into each of the action files)

So for actions and scripts I've got a starting point.

Can anyone chime in on Nemo "extensions"? "Nemo Fileroller," "Nemo Emblems," "Nemo Share" and "Folder Color Switcher" are delivered in a default install. I can find two at

Code: Select all

/usr/share/nemo-python/extensions
but not the other two.

Must "extensions" always be in Python or is an extension somehow language agnostic? If the latter does it need to be an executable file or does Nemo have the ability to "push" it to a runtime environment other than Python?
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

I just found a cool bit of kit in the Mint software manager: Nemo-extension-fma

Since it allows running of programs with parameter, it seems like this might be an easyish way to enqueue files to Celluloid from Nemo once the newest Celluloid comes to Mint.

However, this will likely require quite a bit of work and is certainly out of scope for the average user.

I am pleased, however, as it is likely much easier than writing a Nemo plugin from scratch. When installed, this Nemo extension presents a nice user interface for creating actions via an app named "FileManager-Actions Configuration Tool" in the Administration Section of the Mint menu.

The resulting "script" can be exported to other users (who would also need to install Nemo-extension-fma).

This export capability would make it useful for supporting the various people I have converted to Mint, but of course an Nemo-inbuilt file enqueuer for Celluloid would be much simpler!
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

Something very easily fixed by an experienced user, but not
I am so used to Thunar and how simple it is to write a custom menu item whenever I need to do something unusual, that I forgot Nemo is not so easily configured, and even messing around in /usr/share/stuff is a pain. Adding a menu item is very simple - but mpv, and therefore celluloid is not happy with a command line script that adds files selected as a list.

Anyway, now that Drag and Drop adds files to the already playing queue, there is probably no issue.
Even since I started playing with this today I've seen s couple of things.
Earlier today I seemed to need Shift+click Drag to add files either to the playlist or the player window..
A few hours later I can do this, and I can do it in all my file managers, so obviously I had a glitch earlier. The only thing I've done is install nemo out of curiosity.

Anyway, at the moment, in Nemo, Thunar and Dolphin:

* Selecting Multiple files in Nemo, Right clicking and choosing 'Open with > Celluloid' Starts Celluloid with the selected files in the Playlist.

While the player is active:
* Selecting one or more files and dragging them to the Playlist pane - Appends them to the list.

* Selecting either one, or several files, and dragging them to the Player 'Window' - Clears the Playlist and replaces it with the list of the new file(s).

* Dragging a Folder (or several) works the same way, except that you have to double click a folder name in the Playlist to open it for the tracks inside to be available (perhaps a little inconvenient for some, but not a big drama).

I'm impressed by how quickly whoever is responsible for Celluloid apparently got all this working, apparently responding to stuff in this thread before I bumbled into it and decided celluloid was worth another look. And I had no need no need to add anything to Nemo.

My apologies for my earlier assumptions based on other file managers, and for not fully checking the stuff I should have looked at. While there's no 'Add To Playlist function in Nemo, and no 'Clear Playlist' option in Celluloid - the Drag and Drop works so well it is a very minor inconvenience.
Current main OS: MInt 19.3 Xfce on Lenovo m93p Tiny, i5-4590T (i915 graphics), 8GB RAM, 1TB Samsung SSD, 55 inch UHD monitor.
fbachofner
Level 2
Level 2

Post by fbachofner »

Hi @rossdv8:
rossdv8 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:40 pm
* Selecting Multiple files in Nemo, Right clicking and choosing 'Open with > Celluloid' Starts Celluloid with the selected files in the Playlist.

This is cool, but only works when newly opening Celluloid. If you try to ADD files this way it replaces the entire playlist as you mentioned further down. It is a significant shortcoming.
rossdv8 wrote:
I'm impressed by how quickly whoever is responsible for Celluloid apparently got all this working, apparently responding to stuff in this thread before I bumbled into it and decided celluloid was worth another look. And I had no need no need to add anything to Nemo.

All the features you mentioned have actually been working in Celluloid for at least the last two versions (the period I have been paying attention).

What they responded to is that adding to the Playlist by dragging anywhere to the window has been added to the source today. It was very nice to see the developer so responsive to my enhancement requests.

Of course it will take time to roll this and the "hooks" feature out to end users. I presume the minimum further work required is that it needs to be compiled into a binary form and then packaged for the various distros. Perhaps it is even more complicated.

rossdv8 wrote:
While there's no 'Add To Playlist function in Nemo, and no 'Clear Playlist' option in Celluloid - the Drag and Drop works so well it is a very minor inconvenience.

One of the usability issues is that the playlist pane MUST be open to drag to it. This makes for an extra step if one habitually keeps it closed.

I'm looking forward to the newest build (where an open playlist is NOT required) and especially to see how the Mint team embraces the hooks Celluloid has provided (as of today) for the possibility of enqueueing from Nemo.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

One of the usability issues is that the playlist pane MUST be open to drag to it. This makes for an extra step if one habitually keeps it closed.
I was just enjoying that the Drag and Drop affects the playlist differently depending whether you drop on the play window or on the playlist. I personally prefer it this way, however it might be nice to have a show playlist toggle next to the full screen button (and next to the Menu button) to make what I consider to be a useful drag and drop function easier.

It would probably be different from some other players - but it already is. However, a default of replacing the existing playlist if a file is dropped on the playing window when the playlist window is not open is not a bad thing, if someone wants to quickly dump files one at a time into Celluloid without appending them.

And having a button to quickly open the playlist allows the existing playlist to be opened to add new files or reorder the existing ones.

But, one man's meat...
Hoser Rob
Level 16
Level 16

Post by Hoser Rob »

fbachofner wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm
... there is work to be done by the Mint development team to add enqueueing directly to Nemo.....
I'm pretty sure it already does, if the app you want to enqueue to supports it. Not really nemo's fault if it doesn't.
rossdv8
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rossdv8 »

Hoser Rob wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:22 am
fbachofner wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:19 pm
... there is work to be done by the Mint development team to add enqueueing directly to Nemo.....
I'm pretty sure it already does, if the app you want to enqueue to supports it. Not really nemo's fault if it doesn't.
I adderessed that a couple of posts ago in this bit:
My apologies for my earlier assumptions based on other file managers, and for not fully checking the stuff I should have looked at. While there's no 'Add To Playlist function in Nemo, and no 'Clear Playlist' option in Celluloid - the Drag and Drop works so well it is a very minor inconvenience.

Return to “Software & Applications”