Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

[Solved] Website Design

Post by mikeflan »

I'm looking for some suggestions regarding this:

I want to build a website as a subdomain of my main site. I have the website created in Wordpress. Now I want to work on the site offline and upload the revisions back to my webhosting company (webserver).

I have Bitnami Wordpress installed. I have downloaded the website from the webserver - the website (.xml) and the sql database (.sql), but I cannot easily figure out how to import them into Bitnami Wordpress on my computer. I understand it is done through a terminal, but my attempts have not succeeded yet. I also don't know how to upload revisions back to the webserver either.

I understand I can install JetPack at my webhosting company and then work directly with the website through Bitnami Wordpress on my computer, but I don't want to jump into that JetPack commercial mess (it costs money and makes my head hurt just trying to figure out what to buy).

Here are some options I am considering:

1) Just create an HTML website and be done with it.

2) Dump Wordpress and try Dancer or Mojolicious.

3) Keep fighting with Wordpress.

Since I am not in a big hurry for the website I'll probably try 2) for a while and then just do 1), but I'm hoping one of you will come up with a suggestion to dump bitnami and try ___________ instead.
Last edited by mikeflan on Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Larry78723
Level 10
Level 10

Re: Website Design

Post by Larry78723 »

I'd just do #1 if you have any CSS and PHP knowledge. I've never used any frameworks for building a website so can't comment on #2 or #3.
BrianI
Level 1
Level 1

Post by BrianI »

I can't really give any advice, but web design is something I'm looking into for my photography.

I've never heard of Dancer or Mojolicious, and I've not much experience with Wordpress... :lol:
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

According to Bitnami you can use the 'all-in-one WP Migration' plugin to import and export: https://docs.bitnami.com/installer/apps ... -allinone/

Plugin on WP here if not already installed: https://wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

Selection of associated videos here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... ion+plugin
This one is a couple of years old so process might have changed slightly since, but should give you an idea of how straight-forward importing/exporting should be: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpsjTPsygbs

Install the plugin in your local version of WP and on your online domain version, and you should be able to move the build between either. You shouldn't need to use the terminal at all.

If you're giving up on Bitnami you could alternatively install Xampp and WP on your local machine, and then use the same plugin as above to achieve the same. An overview of the Xampp / WP install process here: https://squarenoid.com/how-to-install-w ... -on-linux/

With regard to coding your own HTML / CSS etc, it's a good way of learning. It depends how much functionality you need off the bat. WP is handy in that you can quickly install a responsive theme, tailor it to suit, and then there's the thousands of plugins offering all sorts of features. Choosing a good theme to start with is best. One that is fast, secure, and easily modified to give you the look you want. I tend to use GeneratePress premium version. The free version has limited functionality but is still good if your needs are basic. (https://generatepress.com/) There's also some decent security plugins such as Wordfence. SEO is also a factor if the plan is to attract users. There's plenty of online advice re WP/SEO.

Anyway, hopefully some food for thought.
mikeflan
Level 3
Level 3

Post by mikeflan »

Thanks so much Mick. You really helped me out. I knew about All-In-One, but I didn't think I could get it on my HostGator site. But I uploaded the ZIP file and jumped through the hoops to transfer a file larger than 40 MB. The file transferred, because the site title is now "Engr" - same as at HostGator. Viewing the page gives me a Hello World! page, and not what I expected to see, which is this:
https://procengr.mflan.com/
But that is OK. It will do me good to work from scratch.
I do wonder though why that content did not transfer over.
I think it is just me being confused since I get the same Hello World! page when I log into the HostGator dashboard and select Engr (Home) - Visit Site. I will keep learning.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

mikeflan wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:08 pm
Thanks so much Mick. You really helped me out. I knew about All-In-One, but I didn't think I could get it on my HostGator site. But I uploaded the ZIP file and jumped through the hoops to transfer a file larger than 40 MB. The file transferred, because the site title is now "Engr" - same as at HostGator. Viewing the page gives me a Hello World! page, and not what I expected to see, which is this:
https://procengr.mflan.com/
But that is OK. It will do me good to work from scratch.
I do wonder though why that content did not transfer over.
I think it is just me being confused since I get the same Hello World! page when I log into the HostGator dashboard and select Engr (Home) - Visit Site. I will keep learning.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you
Hi Mike, you're welcome.

I saw that you have a technical background but I'm guessing WP might be newish to you, but once you get the hang of it it flows relatively nicely in terms of building a site. I had a look at your subdomain and it looks good. I'm not sure why the content wouldn't be transferred though as it should be included as part of the database. I haven't used that particular plugin myself so hard to second guess, but at the end of the video I linked to he goes to Settings/Permalinks and saves changes - without actually changing anything. If you didn't do that it might be worth trying? One other thought, have you set the Home page under Settings / Reading, it normally defaults to 'Your Latest Posts' and you need to set it to a 'Static Page' and select the page you want as home.

Re plugins in general, you should be able to install any on your HostGator server. When you go to the WP Plugin library via the dashboard (Plugins/Add New) you'll see (or can search) the plugins available via Wordpress. I tend to trust these more than plugins downloaded from other sites unless reading online reviews etc confirms otherwise. The WP repository will indicate if a plugin has been tested with your version of WP and in general it's better if they are. Occasionally you might hit a prob where a plugin needs a later release of PHP than your server is running, but as a rule of thumb I usually install one at a time and check the site in case it's introduced anything unwanted. That way I'm not having to isolate any probs afterwards and it's easy to disable/uninstall a plugin if necessary.

On a more general note, if the plan is to eventually make the procengr site live and it's the shop front for a new business venture, I'd consider hosting it on it's own top level domain. The jury is out on whether there's any SEO hit on subdomains, but it seems there's a belief there should be a relationship between the two. This forum for example is a subdomain of linuxmint.com, but they both have the same core interest (i,e. Linux Mint). Mixing a personal site (top level) with a business site (subdomain) might not be the best way. You may already be thinking this, but just thought I'd throw it in and you can do a bit of research yourself if needed - see what you think.

Edit: Forgot to mention it might be worth adding an 'Under Construction' plugin to the online site. That should stop the search engines indexing/caching the site whilst you're building it. You can turn it on and off as needed, but when you're logged in as Admin you'll see the site by default anyway. Just open a second browser tab and look at it from there. That way you can be working in the dashboard on one tab, and viewing any changes in the second. That's the way I do it anyway.

BTW I did have a look at mflan.com, nice cars and coincidentally the same year as meself! :)

Return to “Software & Applications”