Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
arimakidd
Level 2
Level 2

Zoom is giving ascii issues

Post by arimakidd »

I tried using zoom. Usually you click the link, then hit install and the interface comes up(on windows machine) on my work laptop. However when I hit the link, this is what I got:
zoomIssue.png
My personal laptop is Linux and I'm using Ulyana 20. What should I do? I even tried to join the meeting using the website join meeting link via the website only by entering the meeting ID. I got the same gibberish coming up. What should I do?
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Zoom is giving ascii issues

Post by phd21 »

Hi arimakidd,

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

That looks like a font problem and or default language problem in Zoom and or your computer's setup. I have Zoom installed and it shows up in English which is my default system's language.

You could try installing the MS Fonts and or Ubuntu-restricted-extras which contains the MS Fonts and then reboot and see. Check your default language to make sure it is what you want at the operating system, browser, and within the Zoom application.

Did you also install the Zoom for Linux software? Are you using a VPN connection?

Hope this helps ...
Last edited by phd21 on Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.
arimakidd
Level 2
Level 2

Post by arimakidd »

Okay don't worry about this. Had to download the *.deb file on zoom and setup it up. One thing to note though, their instructions are a bit off, they advised to install the *.deb package using apt but I had to use dpkg to install.
https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articl ... 1e374b87cb

Issue solved.
phd21
Level 19
Level 19

Post by phd21 »

Hi arimakidd,

Okay, glad you have it working now.

You are welcome...
Phd21: Mint 20 and 19.2 Cinnamon & xKDE (Mint Xfce + Kubuntu KDE) & KDE Neon 64-bit (new based on Ubuntu 20.04) Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573) 2 in 1 touch screen, Dell OptiPlex 780 Core2Duo E8400 3GHz,4gb Ram, Intel 4 Graphics.

Return to “Software & Applications”