App to make DVD movies

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

App to make DVD movies

Post by Schultz »

I'm looking for an app that can be used to make DVDs that can be played in standalone DVD players. It needs to be capable of handling most types of video files, mp4, mkv, mpeg, mov, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Re: App to make DVD movies

Post by Schultz »

I just stumbled across Devede. It looks like it would fit the bill. Anyone here have any experience with it?
mpv
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mpv »

Perhaps bombono-dvd (here also available for focal) and qdvdauthor.
Last edited by mpv on Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

bombono and devede were in the bionic repositories but not in focal.
I have also used dvdauthor which is still in the repositories.
Of these bombono is my favorite
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Schultz,

I just read your post and the good replies to it. Here are my thoughts on this as well.

It would help to know more about your system setup. If you run "inxi -Fxzd" and "lsusb" from the console terminal prompt, highlight the results, copy and paste them back here, that should provide enough information.

There are many posts on this topic including some recent ones. Some of the previous posts have tutorials and video tutorials.

My favorite DVD creator apps are Bombono, DVDstyler, DeVeDe (ng) and Kdenlive (video editor with DVD maker). Tip: If you are new to this or using an upgraded or newly installed system, I highly recommend using re-writeable DVD discs (DVD+-RW) for testing and once you have what you want then create, burn, to a regular DVD disc (DVD+-R, write once disk).

If you are using Linux Mint 20 based on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal, Bombono was not in the new mint repos but can be installed using the OpenSuse Bombono PPA from the link in a previous reply from MPV. DVDstyler also has a PPA, DeVeDe is usually in the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).

devedeng · GitLab - newer version with x265 support (may conflict with the version from Mint's Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) so to use the newer one, remove the one from the Software Manger or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM).
https://gitlab.com/rastersoft/devedeng/-/tree/master
FYI-1: Just did a quick test with DeVeDe-NG and although basic, it worked well.
FYI-2: Newer video formats like x265 HEVC may not play on older DVD or blu-ray players, not sure if all the DVD apps can handle that format either, but it is relatively easy to convert videos in the x265 format into x264 using Handbrake or other video converters.

How to Install DVDStyler in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS | UbuntuHandbook
http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/202 ... 20-04-lts/

If you have a lot of videos, pictures, and or audio tracks, you might consider using a video editor or ffDiaporama (movie slideshow maker) or Imagination (slideshow maker) to create a combination video of other videos, pictures, audio tracks, etc... then use a DVD creator app to add those newly created combo videos to your DVD disc project. This reduces the overall number of videos the DVD creator app and you have to handle.

Hope this helps ...
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
HarloJr

Post by HarloJr »

1. WinX DVD Author
2. BurnAware Free
3. DeepBurner Free
Schultz
Level 9
Level 9

Post by Schultz »

HarloJr wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:08 am 1. WinX DVD Author
2. BurnAware Free
3. DeepBurner Free
Are you for real? These are all Windows programs; none of them have a Linux version.
To all the rest, thanks for your suggestions. I think next time I have this need, I'll try out either bombono or devede.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Hoser Rob »

I'd try bombono or devede too. There isn't a great selection in Linux, but even in WIndows I've never seen a program for this that isn't "good considering they all kind of stink". Something to do with legal challenges that makers of this type of software are susceptible to.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi Schultz, and anyone else interested,

You are welcome from all of us that replied...

Although i have not tried Bombono or DVDstyler with Linux Mint 20 yet, I do have them installed, and I have used them for years. They work great once you learn how to use them. I did a quick test with DeVeDe-NG and it still works.

It would help if you could give us some idea of the number of videos and what type of videos (actual movies, home made video cam videos, webcam videos, YouTube videos, etc...) that you want to make into a DVD? Are you making these for yourself or for others? If you get stuck, just ask here for some help. There are training videos on using these apps on YouTube and elsewhere including some that I made.

FYI: If you don't care about making nice DVD Discs with menus and navigation buttons using a DVD Authoring Creator application, you can just create a "data" DVD disc using "K3b", or "xfburn", or "brasero" and just copy the various videos to the disk which can hold a lot more videos and most newer DVD and Blu-ray players can play them.

What I think Linux and other Operating Systems could use is a freeware Blu-ray DVD disc authoring creator that can use HD videos and the larger Blu-ray disc capacities.
Last edited by phd21 on Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phd21: Mint 20 Cinnamon & KDE Neon 64-bit Awesome OS's, Dell Inspiron I5 7000 (7573, quad core i5-8250U ) 2 in 1 touch screen
BG405
Level 9
Level 9

Post by BG405 »

Later versions of Kdenlive certainly have great functionality in this regard (you can add menus, titles, transition effects and modify video and audio; chop, add and change soundtracks etc.) albeit a bit of a complex interface (which took some getting used to even for some of us used to older versions!).

Still well worth the effort though, IMHO, as it can produce great results, tailored to the specifications you want. If you want "professional" results (who wouldn't?) I believe it's worth the time and effort getting to grips with this software.

Note I'll also be having a butchers at the other alternatives suggested in this thread to see what they offer as it's always good to see what is on offer.
Dell Inspiron 1525 - LM17.3 CE 64-------------------Lenovo T440 - Manjaro KDE with Mint VMs
Toshiba NB250 - Manjaro KDE------------------------Acer Aspire One D255E - LM21.3 Xfce
Acer Aspire E11 ES1-111M - LM18.2 KDE 64 ----Two ROMS don't make a WRITE
steve rathburn
Level 1
Level 1

Post by steve rathburn »

Hello BG405,
I am starting a project to digitize my parent's old super 8 films and edit them with Kdenlive and eventually put it all together on DVD. I've used Kdenlive just a little in the past to make basic editing but have just recently installed 20.12. I looked at the DVD Wizard ( Kdenlive) but at this point don't quite know how to use it. You mentioned that Kdenlive can make DVDs with titles and chapters Etc.. Do you know where I can find instructions on how to use the Kdenlive DVD Wizard? I've searched YouTube with no avail.
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi "steve rathburn",

You can certainly use Kdenlive to edit videos and or combine them and even create a DVD using their DVD wizard, but the other DVD applications are easier to use for menus (title pages) with navigation buttons for specifying chapters or specific videos.

How are you converting the super 8 films to digital files?
Amazon.com: Wolverine 8mm and Super 8 Film Reel Converter Scanner to Convert Film into Digital Videos. Frame by Frame Scanning to Convert 3 inch and 5 inch 8mm Super 8 Film reels into 720P Digital: Camera & Photo
https://www.amazon.com/Wolverine-Conver ... B01KA32HH0

Amazon.com : 8mm film to digital converter
https://www.amazon.com/8mm-film-digital ... +converter

Kdenlive
Kdenlive/Manual/File Menu/DVD Wizard - KDE UserBase Wiki
https://userbase.kde.org/Kdenlive/Manua ... DVD_Wizard

/chapter: Saving-And-Exporting-Your-Work / Kdenlive
http://write.flossmanuals.net/kdenlive/ ... your-work/

EdVideoLinux_EN.pdf
http://carolinepimenta.eu/myfiles/outro ... nux_EN.pdf

Linux kdenlive dvd tutorial - Google Search
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALe ... CAg&uact=5

Kdenlive: From Beginner to Advanced Video Editing - TuxDigital
https://tuxdigital.com/2020/02/kdenlive ... o-editing/

Hope this helps ...
br1anstorm
Level 5
Level 5

Post by br1anstorm »

Another question in this same discussion about choice of software to create DVDs - I hope those like phd21 with expert knowledge might be able to advise.

I have Linux Mint 19.1 on my laptop. I plan to install DeVeDe (NG). It seems I have a choice. My instinct is to rely on the version offered in the Software Manager, which is the "old" DeVeDe, version 4.8.0-1. The developers (and some forum comments) suggest that this has been superseded by DeVeDeNG, and the official site offers a download package configured for Ubuntu Bionic (on which Mint 19.1 is based).

So which to choose - the "approved" older one from Software Manager, or the revised and updated new NG version?
phd21
Level 20
Level 20

Post by phd21 »

Hi br1anstorm,

I have upgraded to Linux Mint 20 Cinnamon based on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal, and I don't have quick access to Linux Mint 19.x at the moment. I think DeVeDe-NG is available for that version because I remember using it. Their website has an even newer version, but you would first have to remove the DeVeDe from the Software Manager or Synaptic Package Manager (SPM) before installing that version.

Anyone can still use the previous versions of DeVeDe or DeVeDeNG if they work for you.

Sergio Costas / devedeng · GitLab
https://gitlab.com/rastersoft/devedeng

To install this, open a console terminal, type in, or copy & paste, each line below one by one: Click "Select All" above command, right click the highlighted command, select Copy (or Ctrl+Insert), click in the console terminal window, and right click paste ("Shift+Insert" or "Ctrl+Shift+v"), repeat for each command.

Code: Select all

sudo apt purge devede devedeng

sudo apt install git

git clone https://github.com/rastersoft/devedeng

cd devedeng

sudo ./setup.py install
Hope this helps ...

Return to “Software & Applications”