flatpak in mint 20.1 is out of date?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Captain Brillo

flatpak in mint 20.1 is out of date?

Post by Captain Brillo »

Just installed Mint 20.1, and tried to install "ungoogled-chromium" from flathub
got the message that
...needs a later flatpak version (1.8.2)
The version in Mint is "1.6.5--0ubuntu0.1" and is the latest one. What's this about?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linuxdarling

Re: flatpak in mint 20.1 is out of date???

Post by Linuxdarling »

I am having the same issue. Anyone have an answer?
DAMIEN1307

Re: flatpak in mint 20.1 is out of date?

Post by DAMIEN1307 »

https://<blocked blogspam>/flatpak-1-10-offi ... provements

Down below is the last paragraph of the article cited above...DAMIEN
Linux OS maintainers can download the final Flatpak 1.10 release right now from the project’s GitHub page, while most users will have to wait for the new series to land in the stable repositories of their favorite GNU/Linux distribution to enjoy the new features and improvements.
https://github.com/flatpak/flatpak
Last edited by DAMIEN1307 on Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

Captain Brillo wrote: What's this about?
Linuxdarling wrote: Anyone have an answer?
Basically, that's the version for the LTS codebase which LM 20.x leverages.

https://packages.ubuntu.com/focal/flatpak

Typically, an LTS repo will carry the less-than-latest version of a package, usually for stability reasons.
BenTrabetere
Level 7
Level 7

Post by BenTrabetere »

There is a flatpak PPA. I cannot vouch for this PPA other than to say I think Alex Larsson is trusted name in the flatpak universe.
https://launchpad.net/~alexlarsson/+arc ... tu/flatpak

I think it is a bit ironic there has to be a PPA for flatpak. :roll:
Patreon sponsor since August 2022
Linuxdarling

Post by Linuxdarling »

Thanks I followed these instructions to update the flatpak version and I was able to install ungoogled chromium. Thanks!

If you want to install the latest version of Flatpak on Linux Mint (and chances are you do) then add the following official Flatpak PPA to your software sources. The PPA supports Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and above:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak

sudo apt update && sudo apt install flatpak
AsciiWolf

Post by AsciiWolf »

This is even worse now that Flatpak 1.6.5 contains a CVE-2021-21261 "that can allow sandboxed applications to execute arbitrary code on the host system". Please, consider shipping the official Flatpak PPA version in Mint (and supporting it in MintInstall etc.) instead of relying on an outdated, problematic one from Ubuntu Focal.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Just installed the 1.8.5 version from buster backports on LMDE4, it was 1.2.5 before
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
benjammin1001
Level 1
Level 1

Post by benjammin1001 »

I needed this for Eclipse -- thanks for the notes to get Flatpak updated.

(two thumbs up)

-Ben
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Post by JeffF73 »

BenTrabetere wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:29 am There is a flatpak PPA. I cannot vouch for this PPA other than to say I think Alex Larsson is trusted name in the flatpak universe.
https://launchpad.net/~alexlarsson/+arc ... tu/flatpak

I think it is a bit ironic there has to be a PPA for flatpak. :roll:
I used the flatpak ppa and it immediately wanted to install version 1.11.1. Yet before installing I read the updater information on the package. It wanted to install a portal to flatpak and snaps. When I read portal to snaps I immediately went in and reverted my changes with a Timeshift backup. No way am I dealing with Snaps. If this is the case with flatpak I may as well uninstall it since I only use 1 package from it.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

AsciiWolf wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 6:27 amThis is even worse now that Flatpak 1.6.5 contains a CVE-2021-21261 "that can allow sandboxed applications to execute arbitrary code on the host system".
Stop!
Read this ... : USN-4951-1: Flatpak vulnerability
By now, Ubuntu is deploying bugfixed versions to all those who do not choose to ignore them in Update Manager. :wink:

Nonetheless, feel free to pay a visit to the Mint Github and raise a request to include the most recent Flatpak version in supported Mint releases 19.x and 20.x.
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 771 days now.
Lifeline

Return to “Software & Applications”