Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Thunderbird Settings Askew [SOLVED]

Post by rgand »

I changed one of the settings in Thunderbird 68 and it is unusable. I removed it with the software manager, re-booted and re-installed it. The settings are still screwy. I reset the computer one day with Timeshift and that didn't help. Where is the file that contains those settings so I can edit or delete it and start over? Thanks for any help with this.

I am using Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

edit: It would probably help you to know I edited the settings with the config editor
Last edited by rgand on Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you've been up to.
MAlfare
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Thunderbird Settings Askew

Post by MAlfare »

rgand wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:00 pm
I changed one of the settings in Thunderbird 68 and it is unusable. I removed it with the software manager, re-booted and re-installed it. The settings are still screwy. I reset the computer one day with Timeshift and that didn't help. Where is the file that contains those settings so I can edit or delete it and start over? Thanks for any help with this.
Reinstalling Thunderbird replaces the program files, not its settings.
Timeshift with default settings doesn't backup your home, where the settings of Thunderbird lies:
/home/"user"/.thunderbird/"some numbers and letters".default/
Maybe you'll find what you are looking for in the file prefs.js
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks, I'll look for that and see what I can figure out. I'll report back on what I can figure out.
gittiest personITW
Level 8
Level 8

Post by gittiest personITW »

What did you change and what do you mean by 'screwy'?
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

Thanks for the help. That put me in the right place. I uninstalled Thunderbird, renamed the .thunderbird folder to .thunderbird2 and re-installed Thunderbird. That gave me a fresh install.

Next I made a copy of .thunderbird2 folder (.thunderbird2Copy) and copied the prefs.js file into the that folder, keeping .thunderbird2 unchanged. Then I renamed the new .thunderbird folder to .thunderbirdX and renamed .thunderbird2Copy to .thunderbird. I rebooted. That still gave me a good fresh install so obviously that was where the problem was but it also got rid of my emails and address book. I still have the .thunderbird2 folder un-changed.

Do you have any suggestions on how to retrieve the emails and address book from the .thunderbird2 folder? At worst, I can redo everything but it would be nice to not loose a couple of important emails.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

gittiest personITW wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:41 pm
What did you change and what do you mean by 'screwy'?
I tried to change the size of the list of new email so they were large enough for my eyes to read. I did a search online on hos to do this and found this on askmeaboutlinux.com:

How to increase fonts size in Thunderbird 68+
Geetu R. Vaswani Computer, Fedora, Fonts, Hardware, Information, Internet, Linux, Other Linux, Software, Ubuntu August 24, 2020 1 Minute
Start Thunderbird
Select Edit -> Preferences.
Scroll right down and click on Config Editor… button

Locate value layout.css.devPixelsPerPx and modify it per convenience.

This is needed for displaying messages in the right text size if using a HiDPI display.

I made everything too big and couldn't navigate the screen to change it back.

I have to head out on business but will check back when I return.
mikeflan
Level 5
Level 5

Post by mikeflan »

In your /home/YOU/.thunderbird/ithagkqh.default2/ folder is your abook.mab address book. Shutdown TB, copy the file over, restart TB. Then I would suggest recreating the folder structure in TB.
Then shutdown TB, copy the email files/folders over from /home/mike/.thunderbird/ithagkqh.default2/Mail/Local Folders/, and restart TB.
Then you might be back to normal.

Edit: Obviously, the ithagkqh.default2 part will be different for you.
Last edited by mikeflan on Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

OK, then. I got the address book back the way you suggested. Outstanding, there, thanks.

I then built the email and copied the files/folders from the old .thunderbird2 back into . thunderbird. No success getting the emails back. I guess they're gone.

I'll try making another copy of .thunderbird2, renaming the .thunderbird folder to something else and renaming the .thunderbird2Copy to .thunderbird one more time and copying the prefs.js file into that. I'll report back what I get.

5 min later: I did as I said and that got the address book but not the emails or email account folders.

Well thanks for all the help. The emails must have gone away with the original installation of TB. I appreciate your time on this. At least I learned what to not do in the future.
MAlfare
Level 1
Level 1

Post by MAlfare »

rgand wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:39 pm
Well thanks for all the help. The emails must have gone away with the original installation of TB.
I don't think they are gone!
I think, you should find them in the folder "Mail" in your Thunderbird profile folder or his subfolders.
(Local Folders, mail.provider.folders)
Look for text-files Inbox, Sent, Junk, Drafts, Archives....
rgand
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rgand »

MAlfare wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:03 am
I don't think they are gone!
I think, you should find them in the folder "Mail" in your Thunderbird profile folder or his subfolders.
(Local Folders, mail.provider.folders)
Look for text-files Inbox, Sent, Junk, Drafts, Archives....
Good call. I can see them in the file inbox.msf. I couldn't to access them. They're obviously linked to the old email account setup not the new one but, yes, they're there.

That said, there are two copies of the folders. Local Folders and Local Folders-1 and mail.domain.com and mail.domain-1.com. I renamed them a couple times ending up with the names switched and that brought the emails back. That did the trick. All that isn't there are the ones saved in extra folders but the current ones which were needed are back. Many thanks. I'll definitely mark this thread as solved.

Return to “Software & Applications”