lm20.1 Increase duration of notification

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

lm20.1 Increase duration of notification

Post by sadhu »

Sometimes notifications disappear so fast that I don't have time to read them.

Is there any way to increase the amount of time a notification stays up? I myself have used notify-send -t 10000 to set a long delay in some of my little bash scripts, but is there any way to do it globally? Some environment variables somewhere?

The notifications I'm writing about do not appear in the notification history, either. Things like "New mail in inbox" or "WiFi xyz Connected". The 'Notifications' window in Setup doesn't seem to have any effect, except to put the notifications on the bottom of the screen. Its test notification disappears after 5 seconds or so, and always appears in the notifications history, no matter what setting I use (o

Thanks,
-Sadhu
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4
sadhu
Level 5
Level 5

Re: lm20.1 Increase duation of notification

Post by sadhu »

Hmmm I think I found the answer:

I installed dconf-editor.

Under the key /org/cinnamon/desktop/notifications/ I set 'Remove old notifications' to OFF. Now I apparently will have to manually delete them from the list.

Under /org/cinnamon/desktop/notifications/timeout: Use default value= "OFF" and Custom value = '5000' (five seconds, instead of 1.8 seconds, the default.
sabbe sattā bhavantu sukhitattā. LM 21.2-64 Cinn 5.8.4

Return to “Software & Applications”