Warpinator Not Finding Computers

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Re: Warpinator Not Finding Computers

Post by rossdv8 »

Warpinator works 20.1 to 20.1. DHCP is automatic
Warpinator works 20.1 to 20.1 on 'some' computers on 'some' Networks. On mine, DHCP is automatic. On mine, VNC works great, Networking and sharing using Thunar between the computers is great now, so luckilt, I don;t need Warpinator.

I'm just annoyed that it was installed in my Mint 20.1 by default and was apparently supposed to provide 'simple file sharing between computers on a local network. And it there's nothing simple about it. I have a fully functional working local network with most of the computers running Mint 20.1

Warpinartor doesn't see any of them. Even if there is no firewall active on any machine. :)

Obviously whether Warpinator works or not is not important, but it would have been interesting . .
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Maybe there's a conflict between Warpinator and Thunar and/or VNC.
I am running neither. I agree a default program should pretty much operate out of the box.
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

I'm using static IPs or permanent DHCP leases on all my systems and so far they're all working:

Linux Mint 20.1: v1.12 (default install)
Debian 10.9, Fedora 34: v1.11 (flatpak - strange that it's an older release)
Manjaro 21.07 (AUR), Android 11: v1.22

There aren't a lot of issues being posted on the Github site, and still very little documentation (not even a fricking man page!). It's been a great help in setting up my VM network. Not having to install OpenSSH or configure Samba is a blessing.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Not having to install OpenSSH or configure Samba is a blessing
That's what I had hoped for.
Fortunately configuring samba only took minutes. Well, almost an hour, between all the machines. Configuring Thunar was simply a matter of finding the saved file from the first time I did it and copy - pasting.
I really must find a bash command to add an emblem to a folder, and add that to the Thunar Actions.

In the mean time, i'll continue to scour the various forums, and watch here, for something that might cause Warpinator to work between Mint 20.1 computers. It must be possible. Looking at search results, I'd guess at least one in twenty people have got it working.

(That last comment is Tongue In Cheek, but I can't find a smiley for that :twisted:
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

I use warpinator on all my LM machines and don't have any problems..
You need to go to preferences then update firewall rules, then go into the firewall settings and add warpinator to go both ways, that's what I did and have never had a problem.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

You need to go to preferences then update firewall rules, then go into the firewall settings and add warpinator to go both ways
In my case it didn't work even with NO firewall :roll:
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Remove 2 computers from the LAN and then connect them to each other with a crossover Ethernet cable and then try Warpinator. That should eliminate a lot of variables.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Some of us need it Warpinator working on the Wireless network because, well, everything else is working on the Wireless network.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Well yes, I agree about wireless. I use wireless too. The point I am making is that connecting 2 computers via Ethernet eliminates a lot of variables. If Warpinator does not work connected that way That eliminates any LAN issues. If it does work, then maybe disconnect everything except the 2 computers and connect them with Ethernet cable to your router. if it does not work then is probably wrong with the router settings. If it does work, then connect wirelessly. If does not work something is wrong with wireless settings. If it works add more computers one at a time.

If you have computers made in the last 10 years you may not need a crossover Ethernet cable. Been at least 15 years since I used one.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

I closed down my business as a computer tech in 2007 when I was forced out by serious injury, so I'm only a hobbyist these days and many things have changed since the days when I had to 'think'.

However, I noticed that on my main machine Warpinator is using the address related to this:
wgpia0:

While the LAN traffic is using the ip address related to:
en01 (wired ethernet)

While on the other Mint system, Warpinator is using the IP address related to:
wlp2s0: (same as eth0 on main system)

and the PI is using:
wlan0: (same as eth0 on main system)

Which makes Warpinator the Odd Man Out in the network.
So now if I can work out what the hell wgpia0: is, and why, Warpinator is using the IP address associated with that, instead of the IP address of the computer (that this instance of Warpinator is installed on), I might be able to getit going.

Unfortunately I only now worked this out, and I have some reading to do.
I cannot see anywhere in Warpinator to change the IP address it tries to use, to the address everything else on the LAN uses, so I'm guessing there is a config file somewhere :)

Time to hit DuckDuckGo again..

EDIT:
That was quick. It looks like wgpia0 might be related to my VPN.
Warpinator might be getting confused by some setting in the VPN App.
I'll try Warpinatror with the VPN turned OFF and see what happens..

EDIT:
If I am connected to the VPN, Warpinator shows the IP address of the current VPN server - and will NOT show other computers on the LAN.
If I disconnect the VPN, Warpinator reverts to the Local IP address that all the other computers see - and still will NOT show other computers on the LAN.
So the VPN is not the culprit !!
And port 42000 is allowed for tcp and udp, so the Firewall should not be the culprit, assuming Warpinator uses tcp or udp. I wonder what it uses?
And the LAN traffic is working perfectly, so the LAN is apparently not the culprit . . .

U P D A T E:
I finally got MY Warpinator solved. Unfortunately it's not going to help the OP . .

Code: Select all

sudo apt remove warpinator
on BOTH Mint 20.1 computers.

Now all the computers on the Network can see each other, VNC Remote View from the Main computer to the Servers on the others, and share files between each other..
VNC worked ok with just Linux Networking, but I had to fall back on Samba to get sharing. At least now it all works.
mcfxck
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mcfxck »

I was having the same problems as you and after a bit of googling and 'trial and error' I managed to connect my Android and Mint 20.2 with Cinnamon using this method:

1. Found my android's IP address with nmap: 192.168.1.34 [https://itsfoss.com/how-to-find-what-de ... in-ubuntu/]
2. Set the incoming port for transfers in Warpinator on my laptop to 5354
3. Set the incoming port for registration in Warpinator on my laptop to 5353
4. Set the network port in Warpinator on my Android to 5354
5. Ran the following commands:

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.34 to any port 5353 proto tcp

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.34 to any port 5353 proto udp

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.34 to any port 5354 proto tcp

sudo ufw allow from 192.168.1.34 to any port 5354 proto udp
This will probably only work once on this network since I don't have a reserved IP for my devices in my router's LAN DHCP settings. The fix for that is obvious.

However I don't see how one could configure this to work on any network without risking having a consistently open port.

Hope this helps!
Lessss
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Lessss »

Tried on multiple machines works out of the box until I try it on lmde4 - screws the pooch

using flatpak version on both and the LMDE version has options for incoming port for transfers and another for registration but the xfce one only has the one transfer option. Wanted to look at a config file but not finding a folder/file for that anywhere.

Just another thing that doesn't work properly or the same way across different desktop environments.

Samba different version of linux have different directory structures
SD card readers, was working Ver 17ish and a few years later find it isn't under 20, boot 17disc and works, boot 20 it doesn't
Camera auto detect - just stopped working until I reinstalled gvfs-backend
remote desktop/vnc used to work out of the box 14, now seems to be a configuration nightmare that sometimes works sometimes doesn't. Hell most of the "how to's" don't even walk you through setting up both the server side and the client side they just show the client side.

It's as if Linux is being sabotaged.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

rossdv8 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:23 pm Some of us need it Warpinator working on the Wireless network because, well, everything else is working on the Wireless network.
Well I do too. My point is that if you eliminate the wireless and connect 2 computers w/Ethernet that will show if warpinator is working or not. Next step would be to connect said 2 computers with wireless (nothing else on the wireless LAN). Works, that may eliminate the router. Then connect each device one by one until trouble occurs or not.

Sorry did not get your reply. As the OP I am wondering why I did not get a notice.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

My point is that if you eliminate the wireless and connect 2 computers w/Ethernet that will show if warpinator is working or not.
We already know Warpinator is NOT working.
However, I agree that doing the Ethernet thing might help to determine 'why' it is not working.
Unfortunately I can't seem to connect 2 computers w/Ethernet over the Wireless network. . .
so that idea's not working either :D
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

On modern computers you can connect 2 computers with Ethernet cable. Older ones you use a special Ethernet cable for dong that. Forget what it's called. Anyway, run an Ethernet cable directly from one computer the the other one bypassing your LAN. That will tell you if Warpinator is working or not.

I do have Warpinator working on two 20.1 laptops connected wirelessly through a wrt54G router. I run it completely open as I am too far from anybody to snoop on it. I originally had trouble connecting from 20.1 to 18.0.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

Sometimes it is not possible (or allowed) to get an Ethernet cable, crossover or otherwise, through a wall or a floor and connect machines :)

Quite aside from (in my case) the fact that samba sharing works (that was discovered because Warpinator wouldn't) and VNC file sharing works.
The issue seems to be that in some circumstances, even on the same version of Mint, Warpinator does not find computers on the network.
If various file managers (I use Thunar, Dolphin, PCManFM and whatver it is that PiOS uses) are happy sharing files across the (wireless) network including through VNC, one would think Warpinator should also.
However Warpinator is not only Not Sharing - It is Not Even Seeing other wLan computers. Connecting computers via bits of wire sort of defeats the purpose of a wireless network.

I haven't tested it again since the start of this thread - the problem may have been solved by now.

E D I T
I don't think Warpinator isn't a good idea. We had drag and drop file sharing in Mandrake or a similar distro around the turn of the century. It avoided all the stuffing around with configuring Samba or even Linux settings. I can't remember what it was called, but I do remember how much easier it made life. Plug and play file sharing. I assume it died because of security issues.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Do you think Warpinator poses a security risk? Maybe something on you LAN thinks it is and is trying to protect you.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7

Post by rossdv8 »

borgward wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:44 pm Do you think Warpinator poses a security risk? Maybe something on you LAN thinks it is and is trying to protect you.
Thanks for the suggestion.
I can't think of anything that 'might' think of Warpinator as a security risk. I allowed it to pass my firewalls. I also tried it with firewalls turned OFF on all machines. I tried it with Warpinator on different versions of Mint, and on the same version (currently 20.2).
It is weird that VNC works, Samba works (I tried Warpinator on fresh installs of Mint before I set up Samba sharing on ANY machine).

I only got interested in trying Warpinator because it is very persistent in popping up to tell me there are no computers on the network. On each Mint machine as it boots. And when they are running, Warpinator repeats the message if it is opened.
I don;t have ANY Windows machines, and I thought I might not to have to use Samba because Warpinator might have been sufficient for quick and easy (read LAZY) zeroconfig sharing.

I'm assuming for now that the problem is something I have failed to do with ordinary Linux NFS file sharing that I can't find in the Warpinator man pages :)
Satelliteo
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Satelliteo »

Hi, I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, 5.4.0-84-generic, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx × 2.

I have Warpinator installed in both this PC and on my Android Phone Xiaomi Mi 8.

The first day it worked (just one file didn't once, but the others worked) in both directions: from Android to Mint, from Mint to Android.
From the second day it doesn't work anymore. I've tried to uninstall android app and install it again. Nothing good happened.

Firewall is disabled as it was when I did the first attempt. Before it was working, now it is not. I dind't change anything on firewall or on other connection configuration.
The only thing I think can be cahanged could be found on updates. I don't know what else can be.

Hope someone will find a solution.

Have a nice day, bye!
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kato181 »

Satelliteo wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:48 am Hi, I'm running Linux Mint 20.2 Cinnamon, 5.4.0-84-generic, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx × 2.

I have Warpinator installed in both this PC and on my Android Phone Xiaomi Mi 8.

The first day it worked (just one file didn't once, but the others worked) in both directions: from Android to Mint, from Mint to Android.
From the second day it doesn't work anymore. I've tried to uninstall android app and install it again. Nothing good happened.

Firewall is disabled as it was when I did the first attempt. Before it was working, now it is not. I dind't change anything on firewall or on other connection configuration.
The only thing I think can be cahanged could be found on updates. I don't know what else can be.

Hope someone will find a solution.

Have a nice day, bye!
Please do not cross post. Create your own topic in another post.

Return to “Software & Applications”