Warpinator Not Finding Computers

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Warpinator

Post by borgward »

Warpinator does not see other computers on my LAN. The LAN is open - anybody can connect. Warpinator is on new 20 install on first computer. Second computer runs 18.0. Both computers can ping my LAN and get out on the web.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Warpinator Not Finding Computers

Post by borgward »

No other computers found.

Both computers can ping the LAN.

Warpinator is on new Mint 20 Cinnamon install and is not on other computer

Other computer runs 18.0

"Check your firewall rules ..." What to look for?
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Warpinator Not Finding Computers

Post by antikythera »

You need to have Warpinator running on both machines, not just one.
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

OK - Not much in the documentation About that. Could not find it for 18 in Synaptic. Any way to get it?
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

if's probably Not Available in LM18, unfortunately.
:o
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

borgward wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:36 pm OK - Not much in the documentation About that. Could not find it for 18 in Synaptic. Any way to get it?
flatpak but some folk won't entertain that platform
I’ll tell you a DNS joke but be advised, it could take up to 24 hours for everyone to get it.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

At this point in its development Warpinator is set up to be used with Mint 20x ONLY. Nothing earlier. It also won't work with other Linorum or indeed Windows nor Mac and probably not Raspberry Pi either.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

Peter Linu wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:41 pm At this point in its development Warpinator is set up to be used with Mint 20x ONLY.
This says otherwise

https://flathub.org/apps/details/org.x.Warpinator

Flatpak support is built into Linux Mint 18.3 and newer but can be installed to 18.0 too, or upgrade to Mint 18.3 - https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3462

Flatpak install from PPA for prior to Mint 18.3 (or for newer versions of Mint if you want a more recent version of flatpak to install an application that fails the dependency check like Chromium does at the moment):

Code: Select all

$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:alexlarsson/flatpak 
$ sudo apt update 
$ sudo apt install flatpak
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Got it installed on 18.0 as per your instructions. Should I see it in the MENU, or start it from terminal with $ warpinator, or $ Warpinator. Still getting No other computers found. when I start Warpinator on 20.
antikythera
Level 15
Level 15

Post by antikythera »

If it's not showing in the menu you may need to log out and back in or restart the pc for it to be added properly to the menu, flatpaks are a bit odd like that. I've observed the same with the ones I have used on LMDE4. Regarding warpinator usage you do need it open on screen on both machines to transfer files either direction.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

I think you are probably right about restarting. Will try this evening.
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Still getting No other computers found on mint 20 laptop. Warpinator does not show up on mint 18.0 laptop. Both can ping my router w/wireless. Shutdown and restarted both laptops.
Peter Linu
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Peter Linu »

Sounds to me that you're fighting progress. Why don't you just install 20.1 on the laptop with 18? Once both have 20.1 it all works seamlessly.
Cinnamon 21.3 Thinkcentre M920Q + 2 Thinkpad T440p (modded) + Lenovo Y50-70 (all have VBs) + 2 PC NAS drives w XFCE21.2 + Q4OS-32bit on ASUS Atom (2011) + Asus UX305F-64bit
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Not ready to move to 20 yet. I do plan to install 20 soon. Things to do before I install 20.
kato181
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Warpinator

Post by kato181 »

Warpinator must be installed on both computers to work. As far as I know I don't think it will work on LM18 I may be wrong. You have to enable the firewall for warpinator to work and you need to click on update firewall settings and select warpinator.
Moem
Level 22
Level 22

Post by Moem »

Mod note:
Two similar threads merged, please don't double-post.
If you see a double-post, please alert the moderators by using the Report button that is on every post. Thank you!

If your issue is solved, kindly indicate that by editing the first post in the topic, and adding [SOLVED] to the title. Thanks!
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

I have Warpinator running on Mint 20.1 on one computer.
I have Warpinator runing on Mint 20.1 on a other computer.
I have openssh installed on both computers
ssh is allowed in Firewall rules on Both computers
Firewall rules are set to allow Port 42000 on Both computers
Because Warpinator does not work on either (No other computers found!) I disabled both firewalls.
Both computers can communicate with each other, except that they cannot share folders across the network - (they are both working fine as Server and Guest on VNC)

So I did a search on the problem and ended up here !

It seems nobody had found a way to make Warpinator work on Mint 20.x yet :)

It also seems Right Click on a folder on each machine to set up local Network sharing is no longer the default in Linux (like it was in Mandrake in about 2000).

EDIT
I'm not as cranky as I sound. Just came off a wasted 3 days of finding an actual easy way to do something that 'should have been' easy - and wasn't (making a VNC work in Mint 20.1 to Mint 20.1).
Probably wasn't actually wasted. I got to find out that none of the Viewers for VNC work other than vinagre.

So now, it looks like the same thing is going to happen with Warpinator :D
I love Mint - I'm just learning to HATE computers !!!
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I can transfer files between computers running LM20.1 on my LAN using Warpinator without any problems. All my machines have reserved DHCP ip's assigned by my router, so that might be the difference.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

That might indeed be the problem. In my case I haven't yet read the manual for Warpinator, and I don;t have ANY reserved DHCP addresses on the network. I probably should, but at present, all the assigned addresses are sticking anyway, and have remained persistent despite all my VNC server installations and removals.

For now (after I posted the reply when Warpinator failed to find any computers yet again) I have Right Click in Thunar working ok to share files both ways across the network, including sending them directly to external drives attached to the each Mint computer so I think I'll just give up on Warpinator.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
borgward
Level 6
Level 6

Post by borgward »

Warpinator works 20.1 to 20.1. DHCP is automatic.
20.1 to 18.0 did not work. Not a problem now as I no longer run 18.0.

Return to “Software & Applications”