[SOLVED] PDF print fail from Xviewer (actually Xreader)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rsholmes
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] PDF print fail from Xviewer (actually Xreader)

Post by rsholmes »

Where I said Xviewer here, I meant Xreader. Sorry.

Solved by switching to a different PDF viewer

Using Linux Mint Cinnamon 20.1, Xviewer 2.8.3.

Attempting to print PDF files from Xviewer (i.e. opening the file using Xviewer, then printing it using the print icon) fails. On my Epson WF-3520 a "printer error" is reported and nothing prints. On my Brother HL-2270DW it doesn't get an error, but what comes out is either a blank sheet of paper or just a small part of the first page, truncated and mis-placed on the page.

Printing the same PDF files from other software, e.g. Evince, works fine.

Converting PDF to Postscript using pdftops, opening the .ps file in Xviewer, and printing it from there also works fine.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: PDF print fail from Xviewer

Post by mikeflan »

Thanks for that notice. Most of us don't use Xviewer as our default PDF viewer, so we don't see that problem. You probably shouldn't either.
The developers page is here:
https://github.com/linuxmint/xviewer
You might want to add a new 'Issue' for them:
https://github.com/linuxmint/xviewer/issues
rsholmes
Level 2
Level 2

Re: PDF print fail from Xviewer

Post by rsholmes »

Embarrassingly enough, this was Xreader, not Xviewer. Anyway, I have stopped using it. Thanks.
kiers
Level 2
Level 2

Re: [SOLVED] PDF print fail from Xviewer (actually Xreader)

Post by kiers »

Same problem Mint 20.3 Una; both Xreader, and XViewer do not print image files or scanner produced pdf files [blank pages, or only a few inches from top and rest blank]. Evince won't either. Regular downloaded pdfs do print fine. Brother HL-2270DW printer.
kiers
Level 2
Level 2

Post by kiers »

Solved by install of gutenprint driver for nearest Brother printer in its database: 2250DN. it's back perfect like it used to be in smooth old days in Mint Tessa.
Found solution by downgrading from Una, back to Tricia, found it's system reports recommending gutenprint open source driver (formerly gimp-print) for Brother Laser printer
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Thanks for posting that solution. FWIW I scan a page with xsane and print the resulting PDF to my Brother HL-2280DW and it prints fine.
If it makes a difference, I did not scan with the Brother printer, but with a Cannon 9000F Mark II scanner instead.

Return to “Software & Applications”