Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help
TonnyG
Level 1
Level 1

[SOLVED] Can't uninstall software from the menu

Post by TonnyG »

Hello everyone, i have the following issue: I tried several times to install League of legends to my Linux Mint 20.1. Everything was perfect, but when i decided to delete all the data from that game i got into a problem... When i open my Linux mint start menu, then i type League of Legends, lists two options some software installed through Wine, Lutris or PlayOnLinux (i am not sure :D ) and the second option is a file downloaded from the web ( i don`t have problem with that file, i describe it, because its on the screenshot. When i try to uninstall that first software i am gently asked to provide my su password, then nothing happens... Can you help me? I thought its a bug from 20.0 Ulyana, so i switched to 20.1 Ulyssa and still the same...

Screenshot: https://imgur.com/XFSNaqC
Last edited by TonnyG on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
sleeper12
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Can't uninstall software from the menu

Post by sleeper12 »

Can you remove it in Synaptic Package Manager?
TonnyG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TonnyG »

sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:09 pm
Can you remove it in Synaptic Package Manager?
Sadly, i cannot.
screenshot: https://imgur.com/1EkCuVV
sleeper12
Level 15
Level 15

Post by sleeper12 »

Is that an empty file, does it open when you click on it? If it's empty, maybe you can just drag it to Trash.
TonnyG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TonnyG »

sleeper12 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Is that an empty file, does it open when you click on it? If it's empty, maybe you can just drag it to Trash.
I cannot drag it from the menu into the trash... But! I successfully deleted it!
The fix for me was as follows: In the menu i still had the option when i right click on "League of Legends" to Uninstall it, so when i clicked it i noticed in the System Monitor new activity ( i used the filter, to filter by words), when i right clicked i saw the path to the file and went to that directory, deleted the whole content, then i just had to rmdir! <3 Thank you for you help <3 :)!
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Post by motoryzen »

TonnyG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm
sleeper12 wrote:
I cannot drag it from the menu into the trash... But! I successfully deleted it!
The fix for me was as follows: In the menu i still had the option when i right click on "League of Legends" to Uninstall it, so when i clicked it i noticed in the System Monitor new activity ( i used the filter, to filter by words), when i right clicked i saw the path to the file and went to that directory, deleted the whole content, then i just had to rmdir! <3 Thank you for you help <3 :)!
--Yeah..sometimes the Linux world, when dealing with Games/Programs that require WINE to run them, can be ...hardheaded to remove completely and one must end up going directly to where it is installed in the file manager where wine installed it to and nuke it the old fashion way. I heard League of Legends wouldn't work in Wine anymore starting early 2021 due to some kind of middle man anticheat software, can you confirm this or was that a fact that just came a month later than a valid source claimed it would? --
TonnyG
Level 1
Level 1

Post by TonnyG »

motoryzen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:49 pm
TonnyG wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:45 pm
sleeper12 wrote:
--Yeah..sometimes the Linux world, when dealing with Games/Programs that require WINE to run them, can be ...hardheaded to remove completely and one must end up going directly to where it is installed in the file manager where wine installed it to and nuke it the old fashion way. I heard League of Legends wouldn't work in Wine anymore starting early 2021 due to some kind of middle man anticheat software, can you confirm this or was that a fact that just came a month later than a valid source claimed it would? --
It wasn't that complicated to install tbh, but you are right! I successfully installed the game, successfully logged into my account, but after i clicked the ''play'' button i didn't saw the big ''League of Legends'' sign, it was strange, because my mouse got hidden when i tried to move it into the centre where that sign usually appears and i had a lot of 'fix me' error reports in the wine prompt... In my opinion the game cannot communicate properly to their servers...
motoryzen
Level 4
Level 4

Re: [SOLVED] Can't uninstall software from the menu

Post by motoryzen »

@ Tonnyg

"" It wasn't that complicated to install tbh, but you are right! I successfully installed the game, successfully logged into my account, but after i clicked the ''play'' button i didn't saw the big ''League of Legends'' sign, it was strange, because my mouse got hidden when i tried to move it into the centre where that sign usually appears and i had a lot of 'fix me' error reports in the wine prompt... In my opinion the game cannot communicate properly to their servers... ""

-- I wonder if you installed it a different way than some say you must to get it working these days given Valorant's involvement in how that game runs now. I heard rumors last year that THAT..would be the reason why playing it within Wine and Linux would end until something else changed.

https://snapcraft.io/install/leagueoflegends/mint Did you install it this way or just through the Lutris website like I did early last year and 2019?

I'm not sure if the snapcraft way is believable as I have too many other games keeping my interest right now, but I might try it later tonight just for kicks. If I do, I'll report back when my results --
TonnyG
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] Can't uninstall software from the menu

Post by TonnyG »

motoryzen wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:06 pm
@ Tonnyg

"" It wasn't that complicated to install tbh, but you are right! I successfully installed the game, successfully logged into my account, but after i clicked the ''play'' button i didn't saw the big ''League of Legends'' sign, it was strange, because my mouse got hidden when i tried to move it into the centre where that sign usually appears and i had a lot of 'fix me' error reports in the wine prompt... In my opinion the game cannot communicate properly to their servers... ""

-- I wonder if you installed it a different way than some say you must to get it working these days given Valorant's involvement in how that game runs now. I heard rumors last year that THAT..would be the reason why playing it within Wine and Linux would end until something else changed.

https://snapcraft.io/install/leagueoflegends/mint Did you install it this way or just through the Lutris website like I did early last year and 2019?

I'm not sure if the snapcraft way is believable as I have too many other games keeping my interest right now, but I might try it later tonight just for kicks. If I do, I'll report back when my results --
I tried with Lutris, PlayOnLinux, snaps and Wine... I can`t say for sure it doesn't works, because i kinda feel i messed up with that many attempts, but with PlayOnLinux the game was very old... :D

Return to “Software & Applications”