LM 20.1 update Xsane segmentation fault [SOLVED -sort of]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

LM 20.1 update Xsane segmentation fault [SOLVED -sort of]

Post by Micromet »

Recently updated from Mint 19.3 to 20.1. Xsane worked fine in 19.3. In 20.1, Xsane detects the Epson V370 Photo scanner and opens normally. "Acquire Image" works fine - but as soon as the scan has completed - Xsane shuts down. Running Xsane from command line gives a segmentation fault (core dump) at the point where Xsane closes down. I have deleted the .sane directory, re-installed both sane and xsane - but still get the same result.

Running Xsane from within GIMP 2.10 also causes the shutdown.

Running Epson Scan 2 works fine. Running xscanimage from inside GIMP via "device dialog"works fine but from the epsonscan2 option throws up the following message GIMP message before opening the Epson Scan 2 windows normally
Plug-in crashed: "xsane"
(/usr/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/xsane)
The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.

As sane is common to both Epson Scan 2 and Xsane - this appears to be an Xsane problem. I suspect that the Xsane upgrade from 19.3 to 20.1 is the problem - but re-installing Xsane doesn't seem to fix the problem. Where else should I look?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: LM 20.1 update Xsane segmentation fault

Post by mikeflan »

I sure wish I could help you. I use xsane on LM 19.3 with a Canon 9000F and am very interested in hearing about this problem you are having on LM20.1. I suggest you report this to the xsane people, but the website appears to be in German only:
https://wiki.ubuntuusers.de/XSane/
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

Ubuntu seems to have had a similar problem in the last few months - but with little in the way of fixing it. https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... -scanimage
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

There is also this - but not sure whether this is appropriate for Linux-Mint even though it is based on Ubuntu. https://blog.opstree.com/2019/04/02/res ... in-ubuntu/
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

Returning to this problem: running xsane from terminal produces:
(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.019: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.019: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.020: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.020: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.021: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gtk-WARNING **: 16:37:42.021: Unable to locate theme engine in module_path: "murrine",

(xsane:9050): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:37:51.485: IA__gdk_drawable_unref: assertion 'GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

(xsane:9050): Gdk-CRITICAL **: 16:37:51.485: IA__gdk_drawable_unref: assertion 'GDK_IS_DRAWABLE (drawable)' failed

Then xsane opens and allows me to scan an item before disappearing with the - "Segmentation fault (core dumped)" message
Should I be looking at these Gdk-CRITICAL messages as the culprits? And any idea on how I fix them?
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Should I be looking at these Gdk-CRITICAL messages as the culprits?
I think yes. When I run xsane from terminal (LM 19.3) it just runs with no errors to terminal.
Perhaps you should take a Timeshift snapshot and try some of these, even though this is listed for Ubuntu:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/210 ... -error-whi
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

Which version of 'sane-utils' do you have, and which kernel ?
The sane-utils in the repository (version 1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2) does not work correctly with kernels in 5.8 series.
My problem was that xsane (version 0.999-8ubuntu2.1) claimed to be scanning, but never actually did anything.
The fix *then* was to install the latest daily release of sane-backends (then 1.0.31). Since that time http://www.sane-project.org/ has released 1.0.32.
I do not know if you will find a fix there, but it may well be possible.
JT:
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Help - About gives:
Xsane version: 0.999

xsane -v in terminal gives:

Code: Select all

$ xsane -v
xsane-0.999 (c) 1998-2013 Oliver Rauch
  E-mail: Oliver.Rauch@xsane.org
  package xsane-0.999
  compiled with GTK-2.24.31
  with color management function
  with GIMP support, compiled with GIMP-2.8.20
  XSane output formats: jpeg, pdf(compr.), png, pnm, ps(compr.), tiff, txt
LM 19.3 Cinnamon version 4.4.8
Linux Kernel: 5.4.0-72-generic
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

sane-utils = 1.0.29-0ubuntu5.2
kernel = 5.4.0-73-generic - so not the problematic 5.8 series
Your mention of sane-backends got me thinking.
I have a sane-project/sane-git PPA as a software source - I thought that might be screwing things up - so un-tcked that, restart - Xsane does same fault
Xsane will go through the motions of both preview and scan and shows the scanned image just before it crashes out.
As Xsane recognises my Epson scanner and goes through the action of scanning to produce an image - I don't think it can be a sane-backend problem

I took the hint about the murrine thene engine being missing. Only item in Synaptic PM was gtk2-engines-murrinei386 - so installed that - no better but that did add murrine-themes and gtk2-engines-murrine to Synaptic. So installed those 2 and removed the i386 version. The Gtk Warnings have now gone - but still left with the Gdk Critical ones and xsane still crashes after scanning. So getting there.

There's a whole bunch of gdk associated libs in Synaptic which aren't installed and also some which are - difficult to know where to go next.
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

This is the offending line from my syslog - and it's exactly repeatable on each xsane attempt - I have no idea what I am looking at but will investigate
kernel: [ 2134.497283] xsane[5170]: segfault at 0 ip 00007f9e27b1cf5b sp 00007ffcbaf85020 error 4 in libc-2.31.so[7f9e27abd000+178000]
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I have nothing in /var/log/syslog about xsane, even though I have run it recently.
This link is not likely to do you any good:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=232997
I know - it is RedHat.
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

Continuing on: I have no idea what the Strace PID output from a running Xsane is showing me - but the last few lines are:

recvmsg(6, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
recvmsg(6, {msg_namelen=0}, 0) = -1 EAGAIN (Resource temporarily unavailable)
clock_nanosleep(CLOCK_REALTIME, 0, {tv_sec=1, tv_nsec=0}, 0x7ffddd321c60) = 0
openat(AT_FDCWD, "", O_RDONLY) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
--- SIGSEGV {si_signo=SIGSEGV, si_code=SEGV_MAPERR, si_addr=NULL} ---
+++ killed by SIGSEGV (core dumped) +++

If anyone can either interpret this output or provide either Strace commands or some other debugging approach for me to investigate - I'd be grateful. While I don't need to solve this - as other scanning software works OK - this sort of thing bugs me until I get it fixed or I give up.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

Yeah, that would bug me too. When Xsane does not work we are kinda out of luck since the developers are German. I can read a little German and I managed to find the Forum:
https://forum.ubuntuusers.de/
But I don't see any English lists there. It doesn't look good for an English speaker.
Micromet
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Micromet »

Ok - didn't solve the segmentation fault - but resolved the Xsane problem. I uninstalled all the other Scanning software that I had installed in the desperate seeking of an app that would work. Also uninstalled Xsane again. Having cleared all that out of the way - then re-installed Xsane - and it now works. So don't know which scanning software was causing the Xsane problem - or why - personally I don't care and haven't got the energy to find out.
Redsandro
Level 4
Level 4

Re: LM 20.1 update Xsane segmentation fault [SOLVED -sort of]

Post by Redsandro »

Google brought me here. I have a similar issue.

I recently upgraded from Mint 20 to Mint 21, and epsonscan2 does not work anymore.

It does start the default dialog when there is no scanner connected, but if the scanner is connected and the program attempts to start, it will throw the same message:
"epsonscan2" Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Originally installed and re-installed from epsonscan2-bundle.

I can't take OP's lead and remove xsane, because it was never installed.
🤘 Amp.lol. No bloat, just radio.
Ninite-killer. 1000+ packages.

Return to “Software & Applications”