Backintime vs. Grsync {SOLVED}

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Backintime vs. Grsync {SOLVED}

Post by sanmig »

Alan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:37 pm When I delete data in that file, it becomes smaller. I save the file and take a new snapshot. Then the new hard link should present a smaller size then the old hard link.
Yep.
But “incremental” means both versions (and their hard links) are there in the filesystem of your backup partition (it’s a bit unfortunate that we tend to think they are in the backup folder(s), that’s only half the reality, as a folder doesn’t correspond to a physical “location”).
Alan16 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:37 pm I’ll experiment with this to see it.
:D :!:
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Re: Backintime vs. Grsync

Post by cliffcoggin »

cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 am
Whether I shall continue with BIT remains to be seen as it is not as simple to navigate to individual files as Rsync backups. For now I will run both backup systems in parallel. After all, you can never have too many backups.
After more experimentation, and guidance from Rene in regard to trailing slashes, I have settled on Grsync for my /home backups, and Backintime is to be deleted. I am almost certain I have the /home restore settings correct, but I don't have the nerve to delete the entire contents of the Home folder in order to do the ultimate test. Cowardly perhaps, but I'd rather not take the chance I have made an error.
Cliff Coggin
AZgl1800
Level 20
Level 20
Location: Oklahoma where the wind comes Sweeping down the Plains

Re: Backintime vs. Grsync

Post by AZgl1800 »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:42 am
cliffcoggin wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:18 am
Whether I shall continue with BIT remains to be seen as it is not as simple to navigate to individual files as Rsync backups. For now I will run both backup systems in parallel. After all, you can never have too many backups.
After more experimentation, and guidance from Rene in regard to trailing slashes, I have settled on Grsync for my /home backups, and Backintime is to be deleted. I am almost certain I have the /home restore settings correct, but I don't have the nerve to delete the entire contents of the Home folder in order to do the ultimate test. Cowardly perhaps, but I'd rather not take the chance I have made an error.
I do not like BackInTime because of the convoluted way it stores the backups. Impossible for a human to read easily

LuckyBackup makes a Human Readable backup with Folders that are Identical to the Source folders.
and it can also be set up to run on a schedule.

So, I have
  • FoxClone Images "once in a while"
    Timeshift daily/weekly/monthly to /Backup partition
    LuckyBackup to /Backup partition
    MEGA Cloud which Syncs all of the same /home/.... folders.
IMO, what I have running now is just about impervious to a major crash.

I just spent this past weekend at a friend's home, repairing his 18.3 Cinnamon after a lightning strike took out the router.... He and his wife happened to be watching the storm in the same room with the computers, saw a flash of light throughout the house, instantly heard, and Smelled Smoke ( let all the Good Smoke Out - tech saying :mrgreen: )

a bit later, his PC was not working right, 18.3 was scrambled, unable to repair it by any of the available means that were set up. Her PC escaped harm, it was and still is working fine: also 18.3 Cinnamon.

I installed MEGA Cloud and uploaded all of his /home/.... folders to the cloud

when that finished, I made a fresh install of 19.3 Cinnamon over-writing the same OS partition where 18.3 was. Installed MEGA Cloud, set up the folders to sync, and wallah, 1 hour later, he was up and running just like he was before the storm hit. Love MEGA Cloud. and it is free.

LM21.3 Cinnamon ASUS FX705GM | Donate to Mint https://www.patreon.com/linux_mint

Return to “Software & Applications”