Customising Logitech Mouse

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Customising Logitech Mouse

Post by DavidMKane »

Hi,
I recently installed linux mint 20.4 on my laptop. I have a logitech M720 Triathlon mouse, does some one know how to customize gestures and buttons? I would like to do the same on my logitech k380 keybord.

I tried installing logitech-options using Wien but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I tried out even Piper but had no luck, it doesn't recognise my device. :(

It would be grate if some one had any clue on how to do this things in linux.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Re: Customising Logitech Mouse

Post by karlchen »

DavidMKane wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 amI recently installed linux mint 20.4 on my laptop.
Honestly, I have my doubts about the mentioned version. Reason: there is no LM 20.4 and very likely will never be. I suspect that it might be LM 20.1, which is based on Ubuntu 20.04.
You can verify easily by executing the terminal command:

Code: Select all

inxi -Sxxx
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMKane »

Yes, I meant Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa.
Sorry but I spent the last days flashing ubuntu and linux several times and doing some research so I hot a bit confused with the names.

If you need more details about my system software here is the output of inxi -Sxxx

System:
Host: <hostname> Kernel: 5.4.0-70-generic x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
v: 9.3.0 Desktop: Cinnamon 4.8.6 info: plank wm: muffin 4.8.1
dm: LightDM 1.30.0 Distro: Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base: Ubuntu 20.04 focal
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

DavidMKane wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 amI tried out even Piper but had no luck, it doesn't recognise my device.
The M720 is listed as a supported device on this page libratbag/data/devices/.

In the code the identifiers the software is using for the Logitech M720 are DeviceMatch=usb:046d:405e;bluetooth:046d:b015.

Run lsusb in a terminal to see what output you have for your mouse.
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMKane »

Hi,
I had already seen the

DeviceMatch=usb:046d:405e;bluetooth:046d:b015
string on Git Hub, but I had no clue of how to use this in order to make any progress.
If you know how or what I should do with it It would be grate. Even only knowing what it is would be helpful, in order to be able to trouble shoot it by google searching a topic or tutorial.

The output of

lsusb
is:

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:0a2a Intel Corp. 
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 05c8:03ab Cheng Uei Precision Industry Co., Ltd (Foxlink) HP Wide Vision HD Camera
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Not sure if it helps but I installed ratbag and piper from the Linux Mint built in software manager.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DavidMKane wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 am Hi,
I recently installed linux mint 20.4 on my laptop. I have a logitech M720 Triathlon mouse, does some one know how to customize gestures and buttons? I would like to do the same on my logitech k380 keybord.

I tried installing logitech-options using Wien but I couldn't figure out how to do it. I tried out even Piper but had no luck, it doesn't recognise my device. :(

I use Solaar (link provided so you can see what it is; just install it out of the LM repositories) and that seems to work really well for me. I've used it for both a Ergo K860 keyboard and MX Master III mouse.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMKane »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:44 am
DavidMKane wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:17 am Hi,

I use Solaar (link provided so you can see what it is; just install it out of the LM repositories) and that seems to work really well for me. I've used it for both a Ergo K860 keyboard and MX Master III mouse.
I'm already using solar to see battery and adjust dpi but I could not find any option for customising mouse options. On logitech options you can customise a hole bunch of actions for the different buttons. for example on windows I setted up my M720 so that by pressing down the thumb button and moving the mouse up I cud raise the volume and by moving down I could lower it.
It would be already grate to assign keyboard shortcuts to the different buttons. :)
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DavidMKane wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:49 am I'm already using solar to see battery and adjust dpi but I could not find any option for customising mouse options. On logitech options you can customise a hole bunch of actions for the different buttons. for example on windows I setted up my M720 so that by pressing down the thumb button and moving the mouse up I cud raise the volume and by moving down I could lower it.
It would be already grate to assign keyboard shortcuts to the different buttons. :)
Oh! Yeah, well... :lol:

Regrettably, Logitech refuses to port their (rather nice, actually) software to GNU+Linux, so you're pretty much limited to whatever other workarounds you can make happen.

My gut instinct would be to find out (through experimentation, through asking people here who are very familiar with such things, etc.) if you can trap for those other buttons within LM somewhere, and then at that point if it's configurable at all, see if there's a way to assign a function to those particular inputs.

DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMKane »

Portreve wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:53 am
DavidMKane wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:49 am I'm already using solar to see battery and adjust dpi but I could not find any option for customising mouse options. On logitech options you can customise a hole bunch of actions for the different buttons. for example on windows I setted up my M720 so that by pressing down the thumb button and moving the mouse up I cud raise the volume and by moving down I could lower it.
Oh! Yeah, well... :lol:

Regrettably, Logitech refuses to port their (rather nice, actually) software to GNU+Linux, so you're pretty much limited to whatever other workarounds you can make happen.

My gut instinct would be to find out (through experimentation, through asking people here who are very familiar with such things, etc.) if you can trap for those other buttons within LM somewhere, and then at that point if it's configurable at all, see if there's a way to assign a function to those particular inputs.

Ok, thanks.
I read that there is a program that allows you to execute custom scripts by pressing buttons on the mouse. At the moment I can't remember the name and I unfortunately close the Firefox tab where I did the research but when I have some free time I'll look it up and update this Post if you are interested in it too.
Do you think I should mark the topic as solved or it's better to wait a bit hoping some one who had this problem and solved it stops by?

I had the Idea of running Logitech options with Wine, do you think it makes any sense at all to try it or I'll just be loosing my time?
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

DavidMKane wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:29 am I had the Idea of running Logitech options with Wine, do you think it makes any sense at all to try it or I'll just be loosing my time?
I don't know about the degree to which programs running within WINE are able to control devices on the computer external to that environment. Maybe someone here with more expertise on WINE can step in and add some useful commentary.

SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

The output of lsusb is showing your Logitech Unifying Receiver which is for multiple devices. That is why the second half of the ID number does not match what it listed on GitHub. The device plugged into your computer is not a mouse.

When you bought the mouse, did you get a receiver just for the mouse? If so, try using the separate receivers or usb cords and see if the software works.

I would not think that Wine will work because it is a program and not an operating system. You want the mouse to work on all applications in Mint and not just with Wine.
DavidMKane
Level 1
Level 1

Post by DavidMKane »

SMG wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:29 am The output of lsusb is showing your Logitech Unifying Receiver which is for multiple devices. That is why the second half of the ID number does not match what it listed on GitHub. The device plugged into your computer is not a mouse.

When you bought the mouse, did you get a receiver just for the mouse? If so, try using the separate receivers or usb cords and see if the software works.

I would not think that Wine will work because it is a program and not an operating system. You want the mouse to work on all applications in Mint and not just with Wine.
The USB Unifying Receiver that I plugged in my laptop is the one sold with the mouse. The reason why the receiver is not detected as a mouse I think could be that Logitech allows to pair multiple devices, that have this type of receiver, with one instead of plugging multiple receivers in the computer. Do you think I could go and change the ID of the receiver in some config file, in order to get my mouse recognised?
By The Way, thanks for helping :D .
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

DavidMKane wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:07 am Do you think I could go and change the ID of the receiver in some config file, in order to get my mouse recognised?
I do not know enough about how that program to works to know if that is all that is needed.

I did check the "issues" for that software and found several people who had mice (not an M720) which were not being recognized by the program even though they were on the list. Then I found one, Logitech M720 - Assigning a macro is not supported on this device #553 , which means someone did get their M720 to work except for that issue. In the comments I found this comment which indicated, "I recommend using logiops instead. " and gave a link and their configuration. The logiops software does list supporting the M720, so maybe it will work for you.

Return to “Software & Applications”