Can't set sheet style in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6.2

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SteveM2020
Level 3
Level 3

Can't set sheet style in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6.2

Post by SteveM2020 »

I use LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6.2 every day. I don't know much about spreadsheets but I know when I had Excel on Windows, I could set a standard font and size. Over the last two months I've been to several forums, often ones operated by LibreOffice. Every thread has a different solution. It seems if I have Liberation Sans 14 set for one cell, the next one will be sans serif size 10. After a few of these I find I have to select the entire sheet to make each cell the same font and same size.

If I have to find a better program, I will. Thought I would ask here to see if someone can offer advice that will actually work. This is getting extremely frustrating.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't set sheet style in LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6.2

Post by Moonstone Man »

SteveM2020 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 pm This is getting extremely frustrating.
We can't help with your emotions, however if you want to get help with this I think you're going to have to spell out the exact steps necessary to reproduce it. I could not see any issues with several tests using modified styles.
Menard
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Menard »

I am using this but I don't know, but i had a good support with a Libre Office team on a dedicated website on the net

(personnaly i am fighting against it doesn't want to understand that we use the 3 same colours for 5 years, and it continues to propose us their horrible custom colours :evil: )
Linux Mint 20.3 Cinnamon - K 5.15 - Desktop - english
AMD APU A8 7600 - DDR3 1833 MHz 8 GB x2 Dual Channel
--

If you think tough men are dangerous, wait until you see what weak men are capable of.
SteveM2020
Level 3
Level 3

Post by SteveM2020 »

To recreate the problem, I open LibreOffice Calc and start adding data to rows of cells. For example, starting with the first cell... I type something in the first cell and the font is Liberation Sans 14pt. I tab to the second cell and start typing. Now the font is Liberation Serif 10pt. When I tab to the third cell, it could be one of these fonts or something else.

I've looked at help pages on setting styles; creating styles and modifying existing cells and saving the changes as the default. LibreOffice giggles and continues to do whatever it wants.

It seems I need a very basic tutorial for this version of Calc on how to set the page font and size and then lock it, so each cell isn't different. Then I need to know how to save these changes so the next time I open in the spreadsheet to add more data to it, it doesn't continue to choose various fonts and sizes for the same spreadsheet.
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

SteveM2020 wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:14 pm I use LibreOffice Calc 6.4.6.2 every day. I don't know much about spreadsheets but I know when I had Excel on Windows, I could set a standard font and size. Over the last two months I've been to several forums, often ones operated by LibreOffice. Every thread has a different solution. It seems if I have Liberation Sans 14 set for one cell, the next one will be sans serif size 10. After a few of these I find I have to select the entire sheet to make each cell the same font and same size.

If I have to find a better program, I will. Thought I would ask here to see if someone can offer advice that will actually work. This is getting extremely frustrating.

Thanks
While I have never gotten into style sheets, here's one thing which might (directly or indirectly) be related, or potentially be of use.

There is a difference in how one clears a field within probably any spreadsheet program, but definitely in LO Calc.

If you use the Delete (or Del) key on your keyboard, it will only clear the contents of that field. However, if you Cut or in a lot of cases use the Backspace key, it will also clear all the previously set formatting in that field.

As someone who uses LO Calc on a regular basis to build tools with a high degree of specialized formatting in them, I am pretty much hypersensitive to this particular phenomenon.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
cliffcoggin
Level 8
Level 8

Post by cliffcoggin »

I know there is a way to set the default font and size because I have done so, but I don't recall now how I did it. If I want to change from the default in a new spreadsheet I generally highlight the whole thing with Edit>Select all, then choose whatever font I fancy. The row heights will grow to accommodate fonts larger than the default.
Last edited by cliffcoggin on Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cliff Coggin
Portreve
Level 13
Level 13

Post by Portreve »

cliffcoggin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:49 am I know there is a way to set the default font and size because I gave done so, but I don't recall now how I did it. If I want to change from the default in a new spreadsheet I generally highlight the whole thing with Edit>Select all, then choose whatever font I fancy. The row heights will grow to accommodate fonts larger than the default.
I just looked through both the main launcher program for the LO suite as well as within LO Calc itself and I can't find any setting having to do with this at all.

Also, I couldn't find anything having to do with style sheets, and googling for that didn't turn up anything, either. So... I'm guessing those just aren't "things" within Libre Office.

Now, I did find where one can apply various styles to things, but that's a separate issue from style sheets.
Flying this flag in support of freedom 🇺🇦

Recommended keyboard layout: English (intl., with AltGR dead keys)

Podcasts: Linux Unplugged, Destination Linux

Also check out Thor Hartmannsson's Linux Tips YouTube Channel
csqwared
Level 1
Level 1

Post by csqwared »

I may be misunderstanding what you are after here but:-

Open LibreCalc then Edit/Select all - select your font and size as required. Select File/Templates/Save as template, make sure you tick the 'Set as default' box in the bottom left of the window, give it a name and save. Each time you start LibreCalc it should start with that default. Works for me with 6.0.7.3.
By 'eck. It's grim up North.
Cinnamon 19.3

Return to “Software & Applications”