Passwords and Keys -- how does it work?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
KT-GB-12
Level 1
Level 1

Passwords and Keys -- how does it work?

Post by KT-GB-12 »

Hi, I have been trying to get this thing to work for days. Read a lot and watched a few yt vids.

I used the "+" to create a new password and now cannot delete it. I right click and is shows a drop-down box with nothing in it.

I have some items in the "Login" object, but when one is needed for a Drive password, it still asks me for the login password.

What's the point if I have to Login twice. Once to start the Session and once (or more) during the Session. As to the "(or more)" I have two LUKS external drives that both appear in the Passwords and Keys "Login" object, but I still get asked for the login password for each one when I want to use them. I might as well drop them out of the P&K Login object thing and just type the passphrase each time.

Is there an up to date and accurate set of instructions for using this?

This Password and Keys seems only half finished, or intentionally confusing to use.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB, 500GB, ext4, LM-20.1, Cinnamon -- all stock-LM and updated daily.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Passwords and Keys -- how does it work?

Post by mikeflan »

I sure wish you would tell me how it works. I'm just thankful it doesn't cause me a lot of problems. It sure causes other people problems.

I honestly don't know what good it does me, except it keeps my PGP keys, which I guess might be very valuable if I ever need them and it actually works. So far I have not needed them. I probably won't need them since that is my about 11th method of backup, that probably will only be needed if there is a nuclear exchange.
KT-GB-12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KT-GB-12 »

mikeflan wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:05 pm I sure wish you would tell me how it works.
I wonder why it is included then. Sometimes when I launch it I get 5 or 6 things in that left-pane. I just checked now and it is showing just one "GnuPG"

Is there something else that will manage local passwords better? I have a manager for Internet login-stuff, but unlocking LUKS etc when I want them open, would be nice.

So, it **is** half-baked then. {grin}
Ryzen 5 4500, 16GB, 500GB, ext4, LM-20.1, Cinnamon -- all stock-LM and updated daily.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I think the one we have by default (Seahorse) is the best. There is another one (probably another two dozen), but I don't remember what it is called.

Personally I like to write down my passwords and keep them straight myself, but since Seahorse doesn't seem to do any harm, I leave it alone.
KT-GB-12
Level 1
Level 1

Post by KT-GB-12 »

mikeflan wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:48 pm Personally I like to write down my passwords and keep them straight myself
Yup, me too, but when this thing works for accessing LUKS drives which I need to do many times each day, it is very handy. But it only seems to work about 1 time in 10 and other than that, I am forever typing in the passphrases.

Definitely not how it is supposed to work I am guessing.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

KT-GB-12 wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 pm accessing LUKS drives which I need to do many times each day .... I am forever typing in the passphrases.
You can add additional authorization method with a keyfile, placing it somewhere on the system, for eg USB or tmpFS. It will work after initial password unlocking.
-=t42=-

Return to “Software & Applications”