Latex for writing books

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Latex for writing books

Post by rene »

rossdv8 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:32 pm Just a group of concerned people Rene, trying to encourage everyone to wear LaTEX ??
You do know that that X is not in fact an X but a Greek Chi right?

\LaTeX is (unfortunately) unbeatable for mathematical formulae; also see spamegg. Have used it extensively but have always found it to retain regex-like qualities, in the sense of you to an extent relearning the damn syntax anew every time you do anything even halfway involved.
WriteF
Level 2
Level 2

Post by WriteF »

AZgl1500 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:29 am First: let me apologize to the OP for side-tracking this thread....
Not a problem at all.

Looked into what I wanted again a few weeks ago, looking into markup and such. And the closest I got to it was Typora. But Typora doesn't have easy commands for picture placement (choosing size and location on page) and does not even have a proper pagebreak-tag. There are so many programs for text with markup/down/whatever, yet so few options for people that don't want to go overboard. It almost made me wish I could properly program. :roll:
Benkyou taimu!
  • LPIC-1 [__________]
  • Debian Admin Handbook [==________]
  • The Linux Command Line [__________]
  • How Linux Works [__________]
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Post by rene »

WriteF wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 am There are so many programs for text with markup/down/whatever, yet so few options for people that don't want to go overboard.
This is almost undoubtedly not an immediately useful reply but... I a few weeks back ran into AbiWord in fact still being a thing:

https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.abisource.AbiWord

It at one time a decade or two or so ago was my favourite simple word processor. Available from flathub means available from the Mint Software Manager so easy to check out at least.

Return to “Software & Applications”