Can't install virtualbox, obs-studio, etc. since upgrading to 19.3 (libpython3.6)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
xjcl
Level 1
Level 1

Can't install virtualbox, obs-studio, etc. since upgrading to 19.3 (libpython3.6)

Post by xjcl »

I recently upgraded from the end-of-life Linux Mint Cinnamon 18.3 to 19 and then to 19.3. Most things have been working fine but apt has uninstalled some packages that seem to depend on Python 3.6 for some reason. (There probably was a prompt but I must have just clicked okay.) I tried reinstalling them but:

Code: Select all

➜  sudo apt install obs-studio
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 obs-studio : Depends: libfdk-aac1 (>= 0.1.4) but it is not going to be installed
              Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is not going to be installed
 virtualbox : Depends: libpython3.6 (>= 3.6.5) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
I've tried the suggested command and it apparently doesn't even exist(!?). I tried using aptitude to fix the dependency issues but aptitude was not able to come up with a solution.

The specific error seems to be with this package:

libpython3.6 : Depends: libpython3.6-stdlib (= 3.6.9-1~18.04ubuntu1.4) but 3.6.13-1+xenial2 is to be installed
I was able to get around this by installing virtualbox and its dependencies manually using apt and dpkg. Note that Python 3.6 is installed, and virtualbox worked perfectly after this. (But since this requries a lot of manual commands and seems to affect a lot of packages and apt keeps trying to uninstall virtualbox I'd prefer a permanent solution):

sudo apt-get install libgsoap-2.8.60 libvncserver1 virtualbox-modules virtualbox-source virtualbox-dkms
sudo apt-get download virtualbox
sudo apt-get download virtualbox-qt
sudo dpkg --force-all -i virtualbox*.deb
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Can't install virtualbox, obs-studio, etc. since upgrading to 19.3 (libpython3.6)

Post by Moonstone Man »

xjcl wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm (But since this requries a lot of manual commands and seems to affect a lot of packages and apt keeps trying to uninstall virtualbox I'd prefer a permanent solution):
You have found the major drawback in using an upgrade process to upgrade an already installed OS to a newer, more recent version. The drawback is that the resulting installation is often what is called dirty. The problem is further compounded by being unable to specify what else might be wrong, consequently the only true permanent solution is to a) backup your important files at least twice, b) verify that the backups are recoverable, and c) clean install.

Return to “Software & Applications”