[Solved] Freeze while copying

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

[Solved] Freeze while copying

Post by MasterofAllComputers »

Hello everybody not sorry to keep introductions short, I've been fighting this issue for a week (at least), every time I try to copy paste something from one of my external drives to it, it would freeze so violently nothing short of a hard reset would fix it

I thought at first this could be a problem with MInt Mate but the same thing happened with Cinnamon so I also tried Debian, Trisquel, Solus and went back to Mint because if it's gonna keep happening no matter the distro at least Mint is the most aesthetically pleasing of the lot

I tried this viewtopic.php?t=283634
and this viewtopic.php?t=257598
and even this https://askubuntu.com/questions/397249/ ... ile-to-usb
this https://askubuntu.com/questions/734827/ ... -usb-drive
this too https://unix.stackexchange.com/question ... a-pendrive

Edit: Hey if you're reading this and you have the same problems, you can try the above threads or make your own and ask for help; neither did anything for me. But installing windows did.
Last edited by MasterofAllComputers on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Re: Freeze while copying

Post by mikeflan »

Sorry you are having troubles.
I have this computer with 16+ tbs of space
So you have a drive that is about 16 terabytes and it is mostly empty?
every time I try to copy paste something from one of my external drives to it, it would freeze
So when you copy a small file with the terminal (cp file1 /media/YOU/drive1/dir1) the terminal sometimes responds and goes to the prompt? But when it doesn't work it does not respond or go to the prompt? The computer just freezes with no indication other than the symptoms of a system freeze?
the filesystem check says all internal and external drives are undamaged
Show us what you do and what the response is. Post the output in "Code" tags. The button that inserts these tags is marked </>
If your Linux Mint installation isn't in English, prefix any commands that you want to share output of with LC_ALL=C. That forces output to be English. For example instead of running the command "make", you'd run the command "LC_ALL=C make".

Please post the response of this in a terminal:

Code: Select all

df -Th

sudo fdisk -l

inxi -Fxxxrz
Thank you.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

[Redacted to protect the computer's rapidly tarnishing maidenhood; see first post for solutions on how to fix this]
Last edited by MasterofAllComputers on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

It appears you might be duel booting - perhaps with windows. If that is the case please shutdown and go into your bios to make sure secure boot and fast boot are disabled. Then go into windows and make sure it shuts down properly. It sure would be nice if that fixed your problem.

I notice you have 1.4 TB on one of the drives. So at one time did one of the drives work pretty well on LM?

When we get this fixed I suspect you are going to like LM. It has done wonders for me.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

[Redacted because super sensitive black hat data like omg]
Last edited by MasterofAllComputers on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
motoryzen
Level 10
Level 10

Post by motoryzen »

@MasterOfAllComputers

*samurai Jack accent*

THAT...is impossible! It is FREE....open .....source! What Trickery is this!?? The Koolaid...is .....Infinite and never for sale.

xD
Mint 21.2 Cinnamon 5.8.4
asrock x570 taichi ...bios p5.00
ryzen 5900x
128GB Kingston Fury @ 3600mhz
Corsair mp600 pro xt NVME ssd 4TB
three 4TB ssds
dual 1TB ssds
Two 16TB Toshiba hdd's
24GB amd 7900xtx vid card
Viewsonic Elite UHD 32" 144hz monitor
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Let's get some definition of the problem. Which drive are you trying to copy from and which are you copying to? If either one sdc, how are you mounting it? Please post the results of the following commands:

lsblk -o NAME,SIZE,FSUSED,FSTYPE,UUID,MOUNTPOINT

cat /etc/fstab
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

[Redacted]
Last edited by MasterofAllComputers on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

I recommend you do some more experimenting.
Can you always successfully copy from sdb2 to sda1?
Can you always successfully copy from sdb2 to nvme0n1p5?
Also try from sdc1 to sda1. If this works the problem might be the USB external drive.
Also try the same thing from a live boot if you have time. That might also tell you something.

BTW, we are not developers here. So we accept no culpability here. I would be mad too, but you are swinging at the wrong people. But feel free if it makes you happy.
Last edited by mikeflan on Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

[Redacted]
Last edited by MasterofAllComputers on Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikeflan
Level 17
Level 17

Post by mikeflan »

This is a bad problem that is probably hardware related.
I suspect HDD (sda) to HDD (sdc) via the terminal will not consistently work. I suspect none of them will consistently work. I think looking at the logs would be futile.

Unless somebody has a better idea, I would check all cable connections. I suspect you have already done that since the drives have switched positions between your 2nd and 4th posts. Remove and reseat the RAM.

Then I would disconnect the USB for sure, and then after that the two large HDD's. Does the system work good then? Presumably Yes since you are down to one drive. Then add a different USB thumb drive. If that doesn't work, disconnect the USB thumb drive and add one of the large internal HDD's. You might even have to use different slots on the motherboard.

If none of that works you might choose to remove the nvme0n1 OS drive, connect a single large internal HDD, and live boot on that. Disconnect the DVD drive too. Reseat the graphics card maybe, but that is probably not the problem.

If none of that works you have a serious problem. How old is this desktop? By now you might conclude that the MB is bad.
MasterofAllComputers
Level 1
Level 1

I haven't actually, I don't know why but when I connect the external it becomes the new sdb and the hdd that used to be sdb becomes sdc, I don't care why either. And before doing such heavy hardware related lifting (and risk voiding the warranty, since everything is brand new) I thought to install win10 and see if the problem persists, it didn't, it's fixed now and I can transfer everything without any problem whatsoever between any of the disks

So yeah I'll edit the thread topic now, thanks for trying guys too bad the freedoms didn't won out in the end

Return to “Software & Applications”