How to "push" MP3 from Android to play on Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

How to "push" MP3 from Android to play on Linux

Post by ghost123uk »

I have done some searching, but found no answers.

I have a Linux "box" that is connected to my Hi-Fi.

I am wishing to play music files I select on my Android phone (files on the phone) and have them play via the Linux "box" without me having to use the keyboard and mouse on that Linux box. Obviously I can (and do not mind) loading the required software up on the Linux box, ready to receive and play the files from my phone.

Currently, on the phone, I use Bubble UPNP to "cast" files to other devices (Chromecast etc) but I want to be able to do similar, but to Linux.

Any suggestions folk?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Re: How to "push" MP3 from Android to play on Linux

Post by JoeFootball »

ghost123uk wrote: Any suggestions folk?
While this doesn't directly answer your question, it may help achieve your goal. I have a small bluetooth receiver connected to an Aux input on my aged home audio system, to which I play music and podcasts from my phone.
ghost123uk
Level 3
Level 3

Post by ghost123uk »

Thanks for the input Joe :)

I do use one of those in my VW camper, but the one I have cannot be used on a power supply, it turns off when the charging cable is plugged in !!

I hate Kodi but have found that it does the job I outlined in the OP, so I have reluctantly installed it and will only use it for this purpose.

I will report back when I have "soak tested" this Kodi solution.
Please note, I am not a Linux expert by any means, I am still learning, but if I can pass on something that has worked for me, I will, but use at your own risk. Plus I am always ready to be corrected by those many helpful folk who ARE experts
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

ghost123uk wrote: I do use one of those in my VW camper, but the one I have cannot be used on a power supply, it turns off when the charging cable is plugged in !!
The bluetooth receiver that I have will remain on when charging, but does turn off after X minutes of inactivity regardless of charging. I also find the sound quality to be superior when not charging.

With all that said, I just unplug it when I switch everything on, and plug it back in when switching all off, and remind myself that I can't expect perfection from a $15 US device. :)
wallaroo
Level 3
Level 3

Post by wallaroo »

Actually any DLNA/UPNP renderer should work.
There are a couple in the software repository.
One of the simplest is 'gmediarenderer' which is a process that runs in the background on the Linux box that BubbleUPnP can 'play' to.

Return to “Software & Applications”