Folder encryption

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
one pound
Level 2
Level 2

Folder encryption

Post by one pound »

I was looking to encrypt a folder or file using gui. There is veracrypt but this is for partitions.

Looking through old posts there was seahorse-nautilus with the ease of right click encryption. This does not seem to work when I try it - no right click or manager.

There are various many alternatives but I'd like something gui and preferably right click convenient as I'm new to linux.

If I'm going to the trouble to install something then I'd really like it to be free from the known vunerabities some encryption software seem to have searching on the web.

Some suggestions would be appreciated :D

I'm using mint 20.1 Ulyssa.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Folder encryption

Post by t42 »

one pound wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm There is veracrypt but this is for partitions.
in fact, containers and partitions
-=t42=-
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

one pound wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 pm but I'd like something gui and preferably right click
For a somehow “Spy-proof” encryption you’d need veracrypt (and likely more), based on pre-formatted encrypted partitions.
For moderate privacy requirements try Cinnamon’s Nemo, right click the file/folder, select “Compress…”, under “Other Options” set the compression format (the file extension) to .7z, that can be pwd protected.
one pound
Level 2
Level 2

Post by one pound »

okay than you for the suggestion I have mint 20.1 Ulyssa I wonder if that will work on that flavour too?
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

If you want something that will deter the casual thief, then encfs with its companion gui:
https://moritzmolch.com/apps/mencfsm.html
otherwise, veracrypt containers (= a file).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

one pound wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:02 am I wonder if that will work on that flavour too?
... I wonder if someone could try that for you? :wink:
sanmig
Level 5
Level 5

Post by sanmig »

@one pound: No need to delete your posting.
Well, I don’t know what you mean - I’m on 19.3, and I frequently use the right click “Compress” from my standard File Manger (called “Nemo” in Mint flavour “Cinnamon”).
Being curious, I’ve tried the pwd protection of 7z before, and I’ve seen it’s good.
But whom would you trust?

My hint was: Why don’t you try it yourself?
Does your FM have the option to compress?
one pound
Level 2
Level 2

Post by one pound »

tasty I'd imagine! :lol: I thought you meant a joke on the flavour afterwards but you're right I should try it.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Looking through old posts there was seahorse-nautilus with the ease of right click encryption. This does not seem to work when I try it - no right click or manager.
There is a nemo version here: https://github.com/linuxmint/nemo-extensions
It's called nemo-seahorse. Not sure if it works well though.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

I use Veracrypt but only because I have other people's information/details on the computer.
It takes an extra 20 seconds if I reboot to get it up and running. It takes less than 5 seconds if the computer is woken up from sleep (if password is cached in memory) - its a desktop so if someone takes the computer, the data is in volatile memory.
I wouldn't forgive myself if I didn't do the utmost to protect other people's data and it got taken from me.
True that other organisations will have already, most likely, leaked their data one way or another but that is down to them.

If you aren't sure how to use it and you want to give it a go, post back and either we'll find you a link or talk you through it - it is quite straightforward after the first time.

Return to “Software & Applications”