clicking links from navbar-off web apps is kind of broken

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
evil_shenanigans
Level 1
Level 1

clicking links from navbar-off web apps is kind of broken

Post by evil_shenanigans »

I adore the Web Apps feature (coming from OSX where I didn't have one, or at least didn't know about it.) But when I make a web app with navigation bar off, I can't click on any links without screwing everything up. Take Google Calendar or Google Messages, for example: they make sense as a navbar-off web app. But what happens when I need to click on a Zoom link? It opens in the same window. There's no visible back button. Sometimes I'm able to keyboard-shortcut back, sometimes not (not sure why); I often just close and re-open the app to get back to the original page (e.g. calendar.google.com).

I get that I can obviously just turn the navigation bar on. But I definitely prefer the streamlined, clutter-free look with the navbar off.

I'm not sure where the feature request or bug report tracker is for Web Apps, but would it be possible to handle links differently from navbar-off web apps? Some ideas:
  • Switch to navbar-on when I click a link, and open as tab in same window. Remove navbar again if I close all but the original tab.
  • Open all links as popups, each in their own window.
  • Open links in an existing copy of the same browser, if running.
  • Expose a back button so I can at least get back to where I started. (Or perhaps a "reload" button that restores the original page.)
  • Prompt user to choose where to open the link. (Probably way too annoying.)
Anyone else have this issue? This problem really detracts from an otherwise killer feature for me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
evil_shenanigans
Level 1
Level 1

Re: clicking links from navbar-off web apps is kind of broken

Post by evil_shenanigans »

Thanks for the github link. Posted an issue here.

Return to “Software & Applications”