Are You Experiencing Recent Chrome Performance Issues?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Are You Experiencing Recent Chrome Performance Issues?

Post by Kendoori »

Please no Google hate on this. I need Chrome for business purposes. I realize there are a lot of anti-Google peeps here. I choose to use Google and I'm OK with it.

For the last 30-60 days Chrome has been kinda getting stuck every once in a while. I have tried purging to clean out the cache and bitrot, which seems to have helped, but then it kind of comes back, whereby it seems to take over my machine. I've disabled various extensions (which may or may not help), also tried disabling hardware acceleration (didn't seem to do anything). I have used Chromium in the past, but there are certain extensions that I use that don't play well there, and I also rely on sync across devices.

First thing, reality check... is anyone else experiencing similar?

I am running 20.1/Cinnamon, on a Thinkpad T480 with lots of RAM and an SSD. Chrome Version 90.0.4430.85 (Official Build) (64-bit)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Hoser Rob
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Are You Experiencing Recent Chrome Performance Issues?

Post by Hoser Rob »

Try installing the NoCoin extension (which I'd recommend anyway) and see what happens.
For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong - H. L. Mencken
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

Hoser Rob wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:22 am Try installing the NoCoin extension (which I'd recommend anyway) and see what happens.
Thanks for that, but at least per the developer of NoCoin, this is no longer relevant: https://github.com/keraf/NoCoin

I do have NextDNS running on a Raspberry Pi, and the ADP ad-blocker also going. I may need to experiment with modulating those, as perhaps this is where the choking is happening.
NoWinBob
Level 1
Level 1

Post by NoWinBob »

I have had this problem once or twice on Mint 20.1.I noticed that a google chrome update popped up right after the last time,a couple of days ago.Maybe check to see if your updates are working properly.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

I am going to experiment with Chromium... Unfortunately, the lack of Google sync makes transitioning a bit manual, but it will be interesting to see if this works better.

Return to “Software & Applications”