Firefox tab sync problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
feffer
Level 4
Level 4

Firefox tab sync problem

Post by feffer »

I run Firefox across 3 multi-boot machines and would like to sync them better...mainly open tabs. I tried using FF built in "sync" function, but it does not seem to work. The biggest issue is that I run 2 different FF profiles on my main machine. On Mint and Ubuntu, I have one profile using the mozilla-build version of FF and on LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) I use a second profile (from repo installed FF). I tried installing the mozilla-build version on LMDE as well using Karichen's instructions via viewtopic.php?p=1904671#p1904671. For whatever reason, I ran into issues here and just defaulted to using the repo version. This is generally working fine except I'd really like to keep my open tabs in better sync.

Ideally, I'd like to copy whatever file(s) needed from one FF profile to the other, and maybe create a symbolic link to keep them in sync, but though I've tried a few things, this hasn't worked either. What file(s) control open tabs in FF?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Firefox tab sync problem

Post by Moonstone Man »

feffer wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:20 pm Ideally, I'd like to copy whatever file(s) needed from one FF profile to the other, and maybe create a symbolic link to keep them in sync, but though I've tried a few things, this hasn't worked either. What file(s) control open tabs in FF?
Saying 'it doesn't work' isn't helpful at all. When asking these types of questions it's important to provide a clear description of what 'it doesn't work' actually means. Nevertheless, I don't fancy your chances of getting it to work with different versions of Firefox.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/fx ... xa-devices
Don't worry if you don't see your device listed, Firefox Sync should still be working across your devices. Your device could be missing if you are using an outdated version of Firefox Desktop, please update to the latest version.
While that is not directly related to the issue that you report, in that you don't say if devices are missing or not, it is relevant because it implies that each Firefox installation should be at the latest version. This is a failure of Mozilla's documentation. No doubt they have dumbed it down to suit the knowledge of the lowest common denominator but in doing that they have removed technical information that would allow you to confirm that the latest version is required across all systems, or at least the same version.

So, if this were my problem, I'd be looking to install the same version of Firefox ESR on each machine to see if that behaved any better. I run the same version of ESR on all my systems and tab syncing works fine.

Return to “Software & Applications”