(Solved) Folder problems in Linux/Mint 19.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

(Solved) Folder problems in Linux/Mint 19.1

Post by Alvin »

1. I created a new folder in my Documents folder, but the "rename" in the edit area does not seem to work. How can I name a new folder? My Documents folder is in Home/ComputerName/Documents . I copied it to my Desktop. I think that may have been a mistake, though I don't know why. I am running Linux/Mint 19.1

2. I had my Downloads folder on my desktop and in my Home/ComputerName area. I deleted it from the latter area. Now it is entirely gone from my desktop and from the ComputerName area. It is not in the trash. How can I restore it?

3. When I create a new folder in Documents and try to rename it, the Edit/Rename does not work.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Folder problems in Linux/Mint 19.1

Post by mikeflan »

1. I created a new folder in my Documents folder, but the "rename" in the edit area does not seem to work. How can I name a new folder?
Highlight the folder on the right side of Nemo (left click). Then do Edit - Rename (or just F2) - type new name.
My Documents folder is in Home/ComputerName/Documents . I copied it to my Desktop. I think that may have been a mistake, though I don't know why.
It's probably better to just create a soft link to your Documents directory on the Desktop. Get the Documents directory on the right side of Nemo - left click - drag to Desktop while holding down Ctrl and Shift.
2. I had my Downloads folder on my desktop and in my Home/ComputerName area. I deleted it from the latter area. Now it is entirely gone from my desktop and from the ComputerName area. It is not in the trash. How can I restore it?
You did bad. You should Timeshift back to recover it. Hopefully you are running Timeshift. If not, install it and run it now.
3. When I create a new folder in Documents and try to rename it, the Edit/Rename does not work.
See above.
Alvin
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Folder problems in Linux/Mint 19.1

Post by Alvin »

I restored my last week's backup using Foxclone. Then I copied My Documents onto a USB file. Then I restored the current system from this week's backup. Then I copied last week's My Documents from the USB file.
That's about the best I could do. Nothing I lost is vital.

Thank you for the suggestions!
mikeflan
Level 16
Level 16

Re: (Solved) Folder problems in Linux/Mint 19.1

Post by mikeflan »

I say it's best to leave certain folders in /home/ where they are and don't rename them, but there may be safe ways to rename them. Here are some interesting topics:
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=310649
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=306937
viewtopic.php?f=90&t=204144

Return to “Software & Applications”