remotely access windows desktop

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Klaevin
Level 1
Level 1

remotely access windows desktop

Post by Klaevin »

Hello,
I recently found a used, crappy laptop with windows vista on it and, well, obviously I have to wipe it and install mint

but I have a powerful, good desktop at home running windows 10 pro.

Since windows 10 pro allows remote desktop, and since I'm planning on traveling later this year, I would like to access my desktop with my laptop, as if I were using teamviewer (I assume that's what it's like, right?) but without the hassle of <i>someone else</i> having to be present at the other desktop. I also understand this is how many servers work, where they don't have a screen, but you control them from a web browser...

So I know it's possible, and given the linux community is what it is, I also assume it can be free and work well.

Whenever I look for a solution to this problem, I only find people showing how the other way around (accessing a linux desktop with a windows machine) is possible
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Re: remotely access windows desktop

Post by Kendoori »

You are going to need to get around your router on the "remote" side. The least secure way of doing this would be to do port forwarding of the RDP port to your desktop machine (3389) and for the laptop to use the public IP of your router (and perhaps a Dynamic DNS service. Many routers have this built it).

Does your router support being a VPN server? Alternatively you can create a VPN server inside your router (harder). Assuming you run a VPN client on the laptop machine that points to the VPN server, you can then connect via IP to your Windows 10 machine. I like Remmina as RDP client on the Mint side.
Klaevin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Klaevin »

that sounds like it only works when my laptop and desktop are on the same network, or is that only for the setup?
sorry, I'm really a noob. I'm only good enough to recognize stuff I don't know in order to google them
Klaevin
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Klaevin »

Kendoori wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:29 pm You are going to need to get around your router on the "remote" side. The least secure way of doing this would be to do port forwarding of the RDP port to your desktop machine (3389) and for the laptop to use the public IP of your router (and perhaps a Dynamic DNS service. Many routers have this built it).

Does your router support being a VPN server? Alternatively you can create a VPN server inside your router (harder). Assuming you run a VPN client on the laptop machine that points to the VPN server, you can then connect via IP to your Windows 10 machine. I like Remmina as RDP client on the Mint side.
I have a raspberry pi 3 lying arouns. would it be easier and more secure if I used it as a VPN? or would that tank my performance to a level I might as well be using my laptop to do the work I want my desktop doing
Kendoori
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kendoori »

Klaevin wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:27 pm I have a raspberry pi 3 lying arouns. would it be easier and more secure if I used it as a VPN? or would that tank my performance to a level I might as well be using my laptop to do the work I want my desktop doing
The Pi should work as a VPN server. You would expose it to the outside world, and tunnel through it to get to resources inside your network.

This looks like a good way to accomplish what you want: https://pimylifeup.com/raspberry-pi-vpn-server/

Return to “Software & Applications”