Thunderbird imap stuck at "checking mail server capabilities" [solved]

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Thunderbird imap stuck at "checking mail server capabilities" [solved]

Post by Red Squirrel »

Was there a TB update recently? It seems my entire mail setup just broke. I cannot get new mail, and when I send new I get an error that it was unable to put mail in the sent items. I rebooted the server thinking it was a server issue as it's very old. Been meaning to upgrade for a long time, but mail is just such a pita that I've neglected it.

Was there some kind of update done to Thunderbird recently? If yes, is there a way to roll back and make sure it does not get updated again?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Thunderbird imap stuck at "checking mail server capabilities"

Post by Larry78723 »

Open Update Manager -> View -> History of Updates. Scroll thru and see if there was a Thunderbird update.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

I think there was, 2021-04-05. Now question is was that April 5 or May 4... depends what format they use. My PC was off for a few days though I only got back to it now and that's when stuff stopped working. So I suspect it's April 5 but I do have emails after that. Basically I'm not getting any emails past April 30th.

I checked the mbox file on the server and it does look like the mail is updated on the server so definitely something with the client... The 30th would have been around the time I turned off the computer to go on my night shifts. So something seems to have happened.
Red Squirrel
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Red Squirrel »

Figured it out! Further googling lead me to this fix:

https://help.blacknight.com/hc/en-us/ar ... erbird-78-

So guess that is the update that broke it. It's weird that I still kept getting mail for a while though and then it just died after the restart.

Return to “Software & Applications”