20.1 Cinnamon - multiple/duplicate windows for certain native apps

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
salix_alba
Level 1
Level 1

20.1 Cinnamon - multiple/duplicate windows for certain native apps

Post by salix_alba »

Hello good people!

I am a bit stumped here. Running Mint 20.1 Cinnamon and I am trying to configure the "start" menu tool belt. I want it to stop opening new windows for certain apps every time I click on the said app. For example - here is the System Settings window running on three instances: https://i.imgur.com/jfNiQoB.png

The same is true for the Files and Terminal apps and for many others actually. The behavior I want is to simply bring up the the instance if it is already running - not start a new one. I've been going through all settings and I have been looking online but I cannot really find anything.

Any help will be appreciated.
Greets.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: 20.1 Cinnamon - multiple/duplicate windows for certain native apps

Post by spamegg »

Menu/Applets/Grouped Window List/click gear icon
Enable "Group windows by application"
grouped.png
salix_alba
Level 1
Level 1

Post by salix_alba »

Thanks. I did that but now it just groups the windows under one tab so it has not actually achieved what I anticipated.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

If what you want is "launch only one instance and never more than that" then that's obviously not possible, because the OS has to allow people to launch multiple instances of apps, whether it's System settings, or Terminal, or Text Editor or anything else.

If you launch the apps by pinning them to the Panel and launching from the Panel, then it works the way you want. (To launch a second instance you have to right-click and choose "open a new window")

Return to “Software & Applications”