Virtual drive software for mint.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Virtual drive software for mint.

Post by battlenut »

I have been scouring the net looking for info on a virtual drive software. Every one that I find will not install for one reason or another.
This one allows me to install the ppa but I cannot install the actual software. https://www.unixmen.com/cdemu-virtual-c ... ive-linux/
This one does not allow me to install either. https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-best ... for-Ubuntu

Am I doing something wrong?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Moonstone Man
Level 16
Level 16

Re: Virtual drive software for mint.

Post by Moonstone Man »

battlenut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 am I have been scouring the net looking for info on a virtual drive software. Every one that I find will not install for one reason or another.
This one allows me to install the ppa but I cannot install the actual software. https://www.unixmen.com/cdemu-virtual-c ... ive-linux/
This one does not allow me to install either. https://www.quora.com/Which-is-the-best ... for-Ubuntu

Sort of, yes. You aren't telling us what 'I cannot install the actual software' means, nor are you telling us what 'does not allow me to install' means; those types of phrases mean nothing to anyone other than yourself. We need details, commands issued, terminal output. Without that sort of detail all that can be done is to tell you that you need to provide the detail.

Output in code tags, please.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Do you even need virtual drive software on Linux? I think that's a Windows thing. On Mint I can just double-click an ISO file and it will mount automatically.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

I am trying to install office in play on linux and it will not recognize the office disc. How would I use the ISO to install Office without a VD.
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

Kadaitcha Man wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:33 am
battlenut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:07 am I have been scouring the net looking for info on a virtual drive software. Every one that I find will not install for one reason or another.

Sort of, yes. You aren't telling us what 'I cannot install the actual software' means, nor are you telling us what 'does not allow me to install' means; those types of phrases mean nothing to anyone other than yourself. We need details, commands issued, terminal output. Without that sort of detail all that can be done is to tell you that you need to provide the detail.

Output in code tags, please.
Valid point
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

B450-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI:~$ sudo apt-get install gcdemu cdemu-client
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
cdemu-client : Depends: cdemu-daemon (>= 3.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
gcdemu : Depends: cdemu-daemon (>= 3.0.0) but it is not going to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

-B450-I-AORUS-PRO-WIFI:~$ sudo apt-get install furiusisomount
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package furiusisomount
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Classic XY problem!

Which version of office? Office2013 (word & excel) works under crossover (commercial version of wine), can't speak for any later versions.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
battlenut
Level 3
Level 3

Post by battlenut »

2016 version should I get the 2013 version. All I really want it for is Outlook. There are really no mail clients that I like. I usually just use LibreOffice for my productivity stuff.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

I'd recommend getting used to, and getting to like, the Linux alternatives like Thunderbird. Switching to another OS and then bringing apps from the other OS kinda defeats the purpose, especially when there are good/easy alternatives. At first we have trouble letting go of old habits and comforts, but once we get used to it, the alternatives that looked terrible at first are actually nice. You are going through the phase that we all went through at first.
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

battlenut wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:17 am 2016 version should I get the 2013 version. All I really want it for is Outlook. There are really no mail clients that I like. I usually just use LibreOffice for my productivity stuff.
Ratings on crossover are okay, but not specific (I would expect word/excel to work, not sure about outlook):
https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibili ... ffice-2016
I can recommend crossover, it takes the pain out of installing win software in wine. Not free, but worth it. You can try it for free.

I run office 2016 in a VM under win7 using virtualbox. Outlook definitely worked as I was using it for work (now retired).

Or if you want something under linux that looks a bit like outlook try evolution (what I use) or mailspring (looks very nice but no calendar, otherwise I'd use it).
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0

Return to “Software & Applications”