Now I've lost/disabled the Software Manager in 20.1

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Now I've lost/disabled the Software Manager in 20.1

Post by bikrgran »

I decided to upgrade my dual boot to 20.1, from 19.3. First I lost Win 10, then after reinstalling that from a restore, I lost GRUB. I won't go through the h**l I've been through, but I finally got things going, and last night did a restore using deja-dup, and was ready to update everything, but NOW my Software Manager doesn't work. It says there's a later version and do I want to update it, only when I press UPDATE, nothing happens. When I run my mouse over the whole screen, NOTHING is active. I've got everything so screwed up, I think I'm going to have to go buy a new Win 10 disc, and start from scratch, and forget Linux, but my life was on that machine, in Linux. I hate to try to restore it to my laptop and screw THAT up, too. HELLLLLLLP!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Now I've lost/disabled the Software Manager in 20.1

Post by Larry78723 »

Boot from your LM install media (USB/DVD), open the file manager, navigate to your HDD/SSD's /home folder, copy contents to another USB (NOT the install media).

This is the reason why it's smart to backup your /home to external media.
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

Don't use 19->20 upgrade, do a clean install.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bikrgran »

I did a clean install of 20.1.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Post by bikrgran »

Larry, I guess my reply didn't make it. I always do a backup, every week, of my /home folder. I tried to restore it, last night, and therein lies the problem, for some reason. I'll try again.
bikrgran
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Now I've lost/disabled the Software Manager in 20.1 OOPS! UPDATE manager!

Post by bikrgran »

Sorry, I just went back to see what I could do, and it's the UPDATE Manager that's dead...along with my browsers, and everything else, it's beginning to look like. I've just set the restore again, to start at the beginning 9/2019. I'm about ready to delete the Linux partitions and start from scratch.

Return to “Software & Applications”