Grub option disappeared from start menu

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Grub option disappeared from start menu

Post by danost »

Running 20.1, Cinnamon, AMD 64,
Grub option disappeared from Start Menu, how to restore it please
Thanks
dan
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Grub option disappeared from start menu

Post by danost »

I have used Synaptic to install again all Grub installed files, that didn't help, so
I used File Manager to uninstall and ReInstall Grub, that didn't help either.
I'm at a loss as to what to do .....
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

danost wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 6:51 am Running 20.1, Cinnamon, AMD 64,
Grub option disappeared from Start Menu, how to restore it please
Do you mean the Start Menu = the system menu you get on the toolbar after you boot and login (I don't have any grub entries in mine), or the grub menu where you can select the OS to boot? What did the grub option do?
I used File Manager to uninstall and ReInstall Grub, that didn't help either.
?? File Manager ?
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Post by danost »

After the system is fully installed, on the desktop, bottom left corner, the LM icon for the start menu. When I first installed 20.1 Cinnamon there was an entry there "grub" to adjust the boot settings, especially needed when running multi O/S on one machine, which I am. In previous versions of Mint, "grub" was there also.
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

I've been running LM since version 17 and never seen what the grub entry you're describing in the main menu. I assume you're running multiple OS's. Are you confusing it with the grub menu to select the OS when you first boot the machine?
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Post by danost »

Attached is photo of my start menu 19.3 Cinnamon, shows "Grub Customizer"

Also if you do a file search on 20.1 for "Grub" you should find as I have found that there are many files there for Grub.

thanks
dan
Attachments
Grub Customizer from 19.3 Cinnamon.png
Grub Customizer from 19.3 Cinnamon.png (47.74 KiB) Viewed 472 times
Reddog1
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Reddog1 »

Grub Customizer is a program. I don't use Cinnamon, but on Xfce it is not installed by default. You can install Grub Customizer using the Software Manager in Mint 20
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Grub-customiser can, unfortunately, cause more problems than it solves and it also completely changes the configuration methods that are used for grub if grub-customiser is not installed and used.

I am still confused by your comment that grub-options does not appear in your start menu but if grub-customiser was the application that opened when you chose that in the start menu it would seem that grub-customiser is no longer installed in your system.
This may be an advantage as I said because it can cause problems and make it very difficult to return the grub bootloader files to their default.

I strongly suggest you do not use grub-customiser, and if necessary uninstall it, though it would appear that it is no longer installed as it is not showing in your menu.
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Post by danost »

Again, Grub Customizer was installed upon system install, some time after that it disappeared from Start Menu. I have several system running in one computer, so need to be able to customize things according to need. It is a matter of need, not simple preference. As it is installed by default in 20.1 Cinnamon, presumably that was not arranged to be so by mistake. The error / mistake is in it disappearing after a while.
dan
Larry78723
Level 14
Level 14

Post by Larry78723 »

Grub Customizer isn't installed by default on LM20.1 Cinnamon. You must have manually installed it thru Software Manager or sudo apt install grub-customizer
If you have found the solution to your initial post, please open your original post, click on the pencil, and add (Solved) to the Subject, it helps other users looking for help, and keeps the forum clean.
danost
Level 3
Level 3

Post by danost »

Your above install command does install Grub Customizer, but when I open the Grub Customizer, it appears that it has created a new Boot Menu. I edited that new boot menu, changed it only in a minor way as to names, not any functionality, and re-booted. What ever the newly installed Grub Customizer opened as a boot menu, it was not what is the actual Boot Menu, its quite a bit different. It appears that this will require upgrading this post to the people who do the programming to set this mess right. If needed I can attach photos of what the actual Boot Menu is and what the newly installed Grub Customizer produces.

Please, tell me how to get this problem to be sent to the people who can do a fix?

Thanks
dan

Return to “Software & Applications”