Converting JPEG to PDF ?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rchapanis
Level 1
Level 1

Converting JPEG to PDF ?

Post by rchapanis »

Can you recommend a tool for converting JPEG files to PDFs ?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rene
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Converting JPEG to PDF ?

Post by rene »

convert *.jpg out.pdf after potentially sudo apt get install imagemagick may be useful enough. man convert for possible options.
racer-x
Level 5
Level 5

Post by racer-x »

LibreOfice Draw, already installed. Gimp is also another option.
rossdv8
Level 7
Level 7
Location: Within 2,000 kilometres of Alice Springs, Australia

Post by rossdv8 »

Actually, LibreOffice Writer also works. Just resize the jpeg to take up most of the page, and resize the page to the aspect of the jpeg.

But the easiest is probably GIMP.
Simply open the jpeg in GIMP
Choose File > Export As...

In the Export window where you can Change the file name or the destination:
Change the extension from .jpg to .pdf
Click Export
Let GIMP do the rest.

ImageMagick and the convert command is probably the other 'best' way.
A quick search of ImageMagick jpeg to pdf in any of the search engines will give you an idea of how to keep good quality in the conversion.

Recently i scanned a couple of hundred pages of a hand-written journal (from my younger days) to jpegs, then converted them to pdf, then used pdfchain or something to make them into a book for my son to keep instead of the rather large ledger the pages were written in.

ImageMagick is an amazing tool, and I think it is back being installed in Mint by default after an absence.

GIMP is even amazinger in some ways.

Also, something often forgotten about LibreOffice Draw is that it is a Vector Graphics drawing tool.
Something that is also very handy at times.
Current main OS: MInt 21.3 with KDE Plasma 5.27 (using Compiz as WM) - Kernel: 6.5.0-15 on Lenovo m900 Tiny, i5-6400T (intel HD 530 graphics) 16GB RAM.
Sharks usually only attack you if you are wet
jimallyn
Level 19
Level 19

Post by jimallyn »

The standard print dialogue in Mint also includes "Print to File", and gives you a choice of PDF, Postscript, and SVG.
“If the government were coming for your TVs and cars, then you'd be upset. But, as it is, they're only coming for your sons.” - Daniel Berrigan
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I personally would use XnViewMP, but nothing against other suggestions. I would caution to a) be sure you like the software's JPEG editing tools to get the JPEG image the way it's wanted, and b) a "Save as" or "Export to" dialog box may be more or less limited in page layout options (e.g. page orientation, "paper" size, margins, image resolution) than a "Print to ..." dialog for the PDF output - check out available alternatives in whatever software.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.

Return to “Software & Applications”