Firefox 77 to 88 glitch

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox 77 to 88 glitch

Post by gnappi »

FF77 was not giving me an option to upgrade in the HELP/ ABOUT FF popup, so I downloaded and extracted FF 88, it uncompressed all of the files into a firefox folder / directory..

I did this...

Download Firefox from the Firefox download page to your home directory.
Open a Terminal and go to your home directory:

cd ~

Extract the contents of the downloaded file:

tar xjf firefox-*.tar.bz2

Close Firefox if it's open.
To start Firefox, run the firefox script in the firefox folder:

~/firefox/firefox
Firefox should now start. You can then create an icon on your desktop to run this command.

Nope, Iif I add an icon to my desktop it has a gear for an icon, but I can start FF 88 directly from the new firefox folder.

As a matter of fact, I imported all of my many bookmarks, and logged back in to all of my more common sites I visit, and found and added all of the addons I had.

Am I missing something?

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
JeffF73
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Firefox 77 to 88 glitch

Post by JeffF73 »

From my understanding Firefox has never updated from Firefox "Help >About" on Mint since I can remember. If I remember it has always updated through the "Update Manager" on Mint. Might want to try and update/change your Mirrors in "Software Sources".
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Post by all41 »

to find the path to an executable like firefox in a terrminal enter:

Code: Select all

which firefox
If you must have the later versions of FF--remember you are
going outside the Mint repositories for the packages and you will need to
vet those files with fervour.
Cheers
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, gnappi.

Like any supported Linux Mint edition, LM 20 Cinnamon as well comes with Firefox pre-installed. Update Manager will offer available Firefox updates for installations. You just have to click [Install] in U.M.
Therefore I absolutely fail to see why you have to fiddle around with the genuine firefox.tar.bz2 installation package by Mozilla on your LM 20 Cinnamon.
Why do you not simply use the pre-installed Firefox? By now it should be on version 88.0.1. - Mine is.

Best regards,
Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
gnappi
Level 3
Level 3

Post by gnappi »

karlchen wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:21 am Hello, gnappi.

Like any supported Linux Mint edition, LM 20 Cinnamon as well comes with Firefox pre-installed. Update Manager will offer available Firefox updates for installations. You just have to click [Install] in U.M.
Therefore I absolutely fail to see why you have to fiddle around with the genuine firefox.tar.bz2 installation package by Mozilla on your LM 20 Cinnamon.
Why do you not simply use the pre-installed Firefox? By now it should be on version 88.0.1. - Mine is.

Best regards,
Karl
I'm "fiddlling" around with it because update manager did offer updates but it did not install the FF 88, more than one site said my browser was out of date and the pre-installed version in my 20 (from the DVD) is 77.

So, "I" fail to see why you're giving me grief.
JoeFootball
Level 13
Level 13

Post by JoeFootball »

FF 88.x has been available via the LM repo since April.

http://packages.linuxmint.com/pool/upstream/f/firefox/
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

gnappi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 pm if I add an icon to my desktop it has a gear for an icon, but I can start FF 88 directly from the new firefox folder.
Back to your original question - you said you can't create working launcher on your desktop. Try this:
Right-click on the Desktop free space and select "Create a new launcher here..."
In the Name field of the Launcher Properties dialog write "Firefox-local"
Click Browse button and go to and select /home/UserHere/firefox/firefox
Click on the icon on the left-side of the Launcher Properties dialog, then click Browse button and go to /home/UserHere/firefox/browser/chrome/icons/default/default48.png. Select that icon and then click Select button.
Press OK in launcher properties dialog.
Select Yes or No replying to question if you want to add this new launcher to the Menu. If you choose Yes it will appear in the Menu --> Other section
Last edited by t42 on Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
-=t42=-
t42
Level 11
Level 11

Post by t42 »

gnappi wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 am update manager did offer updates but it did not install the FF 88, more than one site said my browser was out of date and the pre-installed version in my 20 (from the DVD) is 77.
What's the output of terminal commands:
/usr/lib/firefox/firefox --version
file /usr/bin/firefox
-=t42=-
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

gnappi wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 6:30 ambecause update manager did offer updates but it did not install the FF 88
Refresh the list in Update Manager. By now Firefox 88.0 is 88.0.1.
So if your list still says 88.0, the list is obsolete, and Firefox 88.0 can no longer be found in the Mint repo, because it holds 88.0.1

In any case, the right approach would have been reporting the initial issue here and getting help resolving it.
Creating a second problem in order to work around a first problem is rarely the right approach of resolving anything. :wink:
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 750 days now.
Lifeline
fbachofner
Level 3
Level 3

Post by fbachofner »

gnappi wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:33 pm Am I missing something?
For starters, I would have updated to LM 20.1 as the first order of business.

20.1 has been out for 5 months or so and has repositories with more up to date software.

I would uninstall your manually installed FF, upgrade to 20.1 and then see where you are with FF version.

This advice could be different if you have any software need which can NOT be covered by something newer than LM 20

Finally, this advice might seem to potentially contravene @karlchen's advice "Creating a second problem in order to work around a first problem is rarely the right approach of resolving anything," but nowadays LM version upgrades are almost uniformly smooth and being on the current base may make it easier to secure help.

Good luck.
various self-built desktop machines and a MiniForums U550 mini-PC
each runs LinuxMint 20.3 with Cinnamon
i7 self-built server --> Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTR (with Cinnamon, for the rare GUI login)
various VPSes --> Ubuntu Server LTR (headless)
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Did you download the archive of firefox direct from the mozilla site and the run it directly from the executable in the extracted archive folder?

I do this in an installation of Debian 10 which only has firefox-esr in its repos, so I have removed that version and run firefox direct from the archive which automatically updates the version when one is available. This autoupdate will also happen in Mint if that is how you are using firefox, but I question why you do this as firefox is in the Mint repos and is already using version 88.

Return to “Software & Applications”