[SOLVED] Does a Mint desktop user need 'ubuntu-advantage-tools'?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

[SOLVED] Does a Mint desktop user need 'ubuntu-advantage-tools'?

Post by jontrv »

The Mint (20.1, Cinnamon 4.8.6) Update Manager just gave me an update to
'ubuntu-advantage-tools', with the update description mentioning that this package offers tools for users subscribed to 'ubuntu-advantage'.
As a strictly non-commercial user of Mint, do I need this package ?
Is there anything in it that regular desktop (or laptop) Mint depends on to work normally ?
Can I safely remove it ? Would I actually gain anything by doing so ?
JT:
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
all41
Level 19
Level 19

Re: Does a Mint desktop user need 'ubuntu-advantage-tools'?

Post by all41 »

Update manager only updates packages which are already installed on your system---period.
ubuntu-advantage-tools is a package installed on your system at birth and updates are offered because this package exists already--no exceptions.

Accept these updates unless you have specific reservations

use synaptic package manager to peek at the installed versions
Everything in life was difficult before it became easy.
karlchen
Level 23
Level 23

Post by karlchen »

Hello, jontv.

Let me simply quote the answer given by t42 in another thread, where another user is equally or even more worried about nothing really:
t42 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:32 am This package is needed because otherwise ubuntu-minimal will be removed, which is not recommended.
Otherwise it is your free will to subscribe or not for ubuntu live-patch service or other ones.
Hope this clears it up.
No need to be worried.
Accept the updated package and forget about it. It will not do anything, unless you initiate the process willingly.
End of worries.

Karl
The people of Alderaan have been bravely fighting back the clone warriors sent out by the unscrupulous Sith Lord Palpatine for 792 days now.
Lifeline
jontrv
Level 2
Level 2

Post by jontrv »

Goodness, I was never worried about it.
I just see numerous updates for things I am never going to use, and often wonder to what extent these things contribute to bloat.

While I grant that in terms of bloat Linux in general is much better than Windows, I question whether a variety of things I see are actually needed, or are they just there because they came down the food chain and are not worth the effort needed to remove them ?

In this instance I perceived these ubuntu-advantage-tools to be part of a commercial product, so clearly not of any use to me (retired from a 40+ year career in IT support!).
Question, perhaps rhetorical...
Is there a significant population of Mint users in a commercial environment ?
This package is needed because otherwise ubuntu-minimal will be removed, which is not recommended.
Accepted, but being curious, what does ubuntu-minimal do for Mint ? (I know Mint is based on ubuntu, but I do not know how much of what ubuntu adds to debian is integral to Mint.)
JT:

Return to “Software & Applications”