how to install audacity-minsrc-3.0.2.tar.xz file from downloads

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
mohammedsaifee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohammedsaifee »

Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Re: how to install audacity-minsrc-3.0.2.tar.xz file from downloads

Post by spamegg »

Code: Select all

sudo apt install audacity
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

But that will not install version 3.0.2 which the OP obviously wants.
I downloaded the source some time ago and tried to install from that but it was just too much bother so I gave up and still use the version from the repos, 2.4.2.

I may have another go having seen this thread but I don't believe it will be worth it, not for me anyway.
Watch this space.
spamegg
Level 14
Level 14

Post by spamegg »

That's the trade-off when you use an LTS distribution. You get the ease of use, stability, easy install but you have to use an older version.

If you want the latest then you have to pay the price, work at it and figure it out, deal with all the problems that comes with it.

I suggested the repo version because I see a lot of newcomers obsessed with having the latest versions of everything all the time, then breaking their systems. This is a Windows habit and it kinda defeats the purpose of using an LTS distro like Mint. (Better to go with a rolling distro like Manjaro or something if that's what you want).

So, I'd rather first try to dissuade people and make them prefer the older stable versions, try to break them out of the habit.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

re my last post; I downloaded the source again and had another look at installing but again gave up; just too much hassle when the repo version does everything I need very well with no messing around at all.
Foxy Stoat
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Foxy Stoat »

If you open up Software Centre, there's a Flatpak version of Audacity which is up-to-date.

There's also an unofficial Appimage too:

https://apprepo.de/appimage/audacity

The Flatpak will be sandboxed so it might not be able to tap into additional plugins on your system, if used. The AppImage probably can, though you might need to direct it to the right folder in Settings.
mohammedsaifee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohammedsaifee »

spamegg wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm

Code: Select all

sudo apt install audacity
thank you soo much
mohammedsaifee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohammedsaifee »

ajgreeny wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 2:15 pm But that will not install version 3.0.2 which the OP obviously wants.
I downloaded the source some time ago and tried to install from that but it was just too much bother so I gave up and still use the version from the repos, 2.4.2.

I may have another go having seen this thread but I don't believe it will be worth it, not for me anyway.
Watch this space.
thank you soo much
mohammedsaifee
Level 1
Level 1

Post by mohammedsaifee »

Foxy Stoat wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:42 am If you open up Software Centre, there's a Flatpak version of Audacity which is up-to-date.

There's also an unofficial Appimage too:

https://apprepo.de/appimage/audacity

The Flatpak will be sandboxed so it might not be able to tap into additional plugins on your system, if used. The AppImage probably can, though you might need to direct it to the right folder in Settings.
thank you soo much
onepiece
Level 1
Level 1

Will THIS method work to install Audacity 3.0.2 on LM 20.1?

Post by onepiece »

In spite of running LM 20.1, I want to give Audacity 3.0.2 a shot. Can those people smarter than me on Linux comment on whether this YouTube instructional is a safe way to install it? They seem to install flatpak...which I thought was already baked into LM 20.1....is it not?

Also, what would the procedure be to UN-install it I use this method to install? Thanks to all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOSsxjWvr-o
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

mohammedsaifee wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 12:35 pmhow to install audacity-minsrc-3.0.2.tar.xz file from downloads
"These are instructions for building [audacity] on Linux"
https://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Building_On_Linux
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?
onepiece
Level 1
Level 1

Post by onepiece »

Thank you for the BUILD address Flemur. It is written as clearly as possible and I follow the flow.
But....and its a big BUT,

Being newer to Linux than many, I'm intimidated to go that road because I know there will be 'pop up' problems that I don't have the depth to manage. The only way to work thru these is to actually work out the issues even at the risk of breaking my perfectly functioning LM set up.

One improvement suggestion I could offer to the folks who write the build &/or install steps that would help newbies with the install and beyond, would be to add steps to find out if THIS Python package or THAT repository is already on board my system. Although it would be boring for those with the "experience level" of a dozen orange blocks, it would really help if there was a short explanation of what each step was accomplishing and why it was needed in the otherwise straight forward cookbook series of steps to build. It would be good to know how to uninstall Audacity too when using this build & install method. It seems that MANY of the steps in the build are necessary for the construction (like having an on site cement mixer is needed to building a driveway)..but once the project was done, which softwares used in the 'make and build' could be uninstalled...and how is that done.
Bottom Line is that I do appreciate you pointing out a very safe and sensible way to get the goodness of the new Audacity on a system that isn't designed for the leading edge releases.
Flemur
Level 20
Level 20

Post by Flemur »

onepiece wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:16 pm Thank you for the BUILD address Flemur. It is written as clearly as possible and I follow the flow.
FYI, I found those instruction in about 7.3 seconds, with a internet search on "audacity-minsrc-3.0.2.tar.xz" (w/quotes).
Being newer to Linux than many, I'm intimidated to go that road because I know there will be 'pop up' problems that I don't have the depth to manage. The only way to work thru these is to actually work out the issues even at the risk of breaking my perfectly functioning LM set up.
Make OS backups and know how to restore from them! Also, compiling audacity isn't the easiest project to start out with.
One improvement suggestion I could offer to the folks who write the build &/or install steps that would help newbies with the install and beyond, would be to add steps to find out if THIS Python package or THAT repository is already on board my system.
Those audacity instructions where actually far better along those lines than most, for "Debian / Ubuntu" at least.
It would be good to know how to uninstall Audacity too when using this build & install method. It seems that MANY of the steps in the build are necessary for the construction (like having an on site cement mixer is needed to building a driveway)..but once the project was done, which softwares used in the 'make and build' could be uninstalled...and how is that done.
Bottom Line is that I do appreciate you pointing out a very safe and sensible way to get the goodness of the new Audacity on a system that isn't designed for the leading edge releases.
Those are all good points.
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] if/when it is solved!
Your data and OS are backed up....right?

Return to “Software & Applications”