MEMTEST86

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
LanceM

MEMTEST86

Post by LanceM »

I don't know how to enter the exact commands into the terminal to install this to /dev/sdb1. That flash drive is named MEMTEST86 and I made it bootable with FAT32. The instructions for dd are here. https://www.memtest86.com/tech_creating-linux-mac.html I have the image file in the unzipped folder on my desktop. As in the pic
1.jpg
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
ajgringo619

Re: MEMTEST86

Post by ajgringo619 »

Should be this:

Code: Select all

sudo dd if=/home/lance/Desktop/memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
If that doesn't work, try downloading the ISO version, create a bootable USB with ventoy, then copy the ISO over.
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

The command gave this

lance@LM:~$ sudo dd if=/home/lance/Desktop/memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
dd: failed to open '/home/lance/Desktop/memtest86-usb.img': No such file or directory
ajgringo619

Post by ajgringo619 »

Sorry, I missed a directory:

sudo dd if=/home/lance/Desktop/memtest86-usb/memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
LanceM

Post by LanceM »

ajgringo619 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 2:01 pm Sorry, I missed a directory:

sudo dd if=/home/lance/Desktop/memtest86-usb/memtest86-usb.img of=/dev/sdb bs=4M
Thanks, that did it. Oddly it created 3 partitions and finished in seconds. It booted okay, but would not shutdown. It kept rebooting. I lowered my standards and tried the Win10 installer. Exact same except it took minutes for it to create the drive.

Return to “Software & Applications”