Firefox 89.0 update last night and ugh!!!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox 89.0 update last night and ugh!!!

Post by Grateful4Linux »

Howard_P wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 pm The thing I hate and would like help eliminating is the change in my up-down scroll bar. I previously had altered it so that it was wide, which I like. That alteration was done like this:

Then copy and paste the following into this gtk.css file: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

Code: Select all

/* Include scrollbar steppers */
.scrollbar,
scrollbar {
-GtkScrollbar-has-backward-stepper: 1;
-GtkScrollbar-has-forward-stepper: 1;
}

scrollbar button {
min-width: 20px;
min-height: 20px;
}

This set of alterations produced a nice wide scroll bar. The new version is, as I said, skinny. The alterations that I had previously made remain intact but don't seem to work any more. Other programs (Ungoogled Chromium, Thunderbird etc) remain as they were. If anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks. -Howard
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I made mine nice and wide by using about:config and changing widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size to "30". Is the code you posted above for your system scrollbar width? I changed mine using the Linux Mint settings UI a long time ago, but it didn't make a difference with Firefox's scrollbar. If you type about:config in the FF address bar and then set the width to whatever you prefer... that should work, I think.
~Maria
Howard_P
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Howard_P »

Thanks Maria, that worked like a charm! -Howard
Grateful4Linux
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Grateful4Linux »

Howard_P wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:37 am Thanks Maria, that worked like a charm! -Howard
I'm glad! :)

I use site specific browsers with Firefox, so I've been having to redo all of these fixes for each one of 10 SSBs, which has really amplified my annoyance with FF.
~Maria
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Post by Pierre »

has anyone else had the FF89 actually freezing :?:
:?
after several minutes of use .. with LM20x series ..
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
norm.h
Level 5
Level 5

Post by norm.h »

Does anyone know how to increase the GUI font size?

Edited to add: by that I mean the text in the Title, Address & Menu bars, and Tabs.
Pangaea
Level 2
Level 2

Post by Pangaea »

spamegg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 am Also I got the old Tab Bar back with browser.proton.enable set to false.
Just wanted to thank you for this setting. Now the tabs are back to how they were before :) It wasn't really possible to tell one from another with the new settings. Other than that, it looks okay I think. The tiny scrollbar is a bit annoying at times, especially when it disappears entirely and you need to guess where to click, and most likely miss. But there are some advantages with it as well, like taking up less space. I'm mixed about it.

Here are some further recommendations from PrivacyTools, for those who wish to increase privacy in their browser: https://www.privacytools.io/browsers/#about_config
Mick-Cork
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Mick-Cork »

Pangaea wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:41 am
spamegg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:54 am Also I got the old Tab Bar back with browser.proton.enable set to false.
The tiny scrollbar is a bit annoying at times, especially when it disappears entirely and you need to guess where to click, and most likely miss. But there are some advantages with it as well, like taking up less space. I'm mixed about it.
I used to get quite annoyed about small scrollbars but have got used to two finger scrolling. If you have a laptop it's well worth checking if it works there. It becomes second nature and I don't even think about it now. I never look for the scroller in a browser, it's just quicker (and easier) to use the touchpad.
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

Grateful4Linux wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:59 pm
Howard_P wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:55 pm The thing I hate and would like help eliminating is the change in my up-down scroll bar. I previously had altered it so that it was wide, which I like. That alteration was done like this:

Then copy and paste the following into this gtk.css file: ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css

.scrollbar,
scrollbar {
}

scrollbar button {
}

This set of alterations produced a nice wide scroll bar. The new version is, as I said, skinny. The alterations that I had previously made remain intact but don't seem to work any more. Other programs (Ungoogled Chromium, Thunderbird etc) remain as they were. If anyone can help with this I'd appreciate it. Thanks. -Howard
I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but I made mine nice and wide by using about:config and changing widget.non-native-theme.scrollbar.size to "30". Is the code you posted above for your system scrollbar width? I changed mine using the Linux Mint settings UI a long time ago, but it didn't make a difference with Firefox's scrollbar. If you type about:config in the FF address bar and then set the width to whatever you prefer... that should work, I think.
To achieve a wider scrollbar and steppers at top and bottom I found I needed both the ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css and the about:config changes mentioned here; without both of those two I did not get the scrollbar as I wanted it.
As I have said elsewhere, Mozilla seems to be following gnome philosophy of giving us what they want us to have rather than what we would prefer, though I admit that gnome is a DE that I don't use, and personally find almost unusable.
vidarrledrhals
Level 1
Level 1

Post by vidarrledrhals »

I upgraded one of my Mint systems. It's still running Mint 19 for now, but when I went to fire up Firefox 89, I couldn't see enough of the GUI to tell you whether it sucks or not. The text was all wavey and very faint, the window itself was fairly transparent...basically, unusable. Now, I'm trying to work up the courage to boot up my Mint 20 install and try upgrading FF there.

Anyone see this behavior? I really don't want to have to go hunt down another browser...so many have gone to Chrome at their core. I hate Chrome.
Aztaroth
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Aztaroth »

.scrollbar,
scrollbar {
}

scrollbar button {
}
It's also possible to modify the vertical slider width or horizontal slider height if they are too thick or thin in the same gtk.css file :

Code: Select all

scrollbar.vertical slider,
scrollbar.slider.vertical
{
    min-width: 15px;
}

scrollbar.horizontal slider,
scrollbar.slider.horizontal
{
    min-height: 15px;
}
Of course, be coherent : the slider size should not exceed the scrollbar size 8)

PS : Works also with ESR
dual boot LMDE4 (mostly) + LM19.3 Cinnamon (sometimes)
SMG
Level 25
Level 25

Post by SMG »

vidarrledrhals wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:01 pm The text was all wavey and very faint, the window itself was fairly transparent...basically, unusable. ..
Anyone see this behavior?
This did not happen to me. Maybe you are using a particular theme which was affected?

I thought someone else mentioned transparency in this thread, but maybe I read the issue somewhere else. I do not recall for sure (because I was not affected by it).
A woman typing on a laptop with LM20.3 Cinnamon.
shockedquartz
Level 2
Level 2

Post by shockedquartz »

Pierre wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:39 am has anyone else had the FF89 actually freezing :?:
YES!!!
I have to keep doing: Crtl-Alt-F1 to go to the terminal to kill all firefox. It locks up the whole GUI.
It just started on 89. It's happened about 8 times now.
Until now, this PC has been solid as far as crashing.
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

shockedquartz wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:00 am
Pierre wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:39 am has anyone else had the FF89 actually freezing :?:
YES!!!
I have to keep doing: Crtl-Alt-F1 to go to the terminal to kill all firefox. It locks up the whole GUI.
It just started on 89. It's happened about 8 times now.
Until now, this PC has been solid as far as crashing.
That is likely (although not definitely) to be because of Extensions or Plugins.
Try running FF without them and see if you get the same crashes.
dave0808
Level 5
Level 5

Post by dave0808 »

FWIW, I've had no crashes with FF89. In my case, I shutdown overnight to give me a clean slate the next day (except in very rare cases).
ajgreeny
Level 7
Level 7

Post by ajgreeny »

No crashes on my system either, though as I've said in previous posts, I do use a personal ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css file, I have modified the about:config settings for proton and scrollbar width/steppers, and have a personalised userChrome.css file in my firefox profile to the point that the FF window layout now looks as good as it did before.
jbroderi
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jbroderi »

It seems like the new FF does not want to go to the root of a (local?) website. This is noticeable when testing the start of a fresh django project (demo page that gets delivered by "python manage.py runserver") by pointing FF at "127.0.0.1:8000" - it now always wants to go to "127.0.0.1:8000/catalog". Chromium and curl don't have that problem, and FF didn't do that 2 weeks ago.
Dale_R
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Dale_R »

Bob M wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:44 am This is weird.

My Desktop running Mint 19.3 Cinnamon updated Firefox to Ver 89.0 and so far I haven’t noticed any difference.

When I read this thread I thought it might be waiting for a reboot so I did that but still no difference.

Hope I haven’t spoken too soon. :D
Running essentially the same setup, and I've definitely noticed one huge difference: download times. 150KB files that used to take ~3 sec to acquire are now taking more like ~30 sec. and the download ties up all other functions of the browser. I hope they fix this soon, 'cause I can't get PaleMoon to load.
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

Dale_R wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:43 pm
I’m starting to feel very lonely not having any problem with Firefox 89 on three different computers. (Desktop & Laptop & Thinkpad. :(

Is there somebody else, somewhere, not having a problem either???? :D
tinca
Level 5
Level 5

Post by tinca »

Bob M

I am with you. No problems at all

best regards Keith
Bob M
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Bob M »

tinca wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:32 am
Thanks Keith,

That’s a relief not being alone. :D

Return to “Software & Applications”