Codec updates from System Reports mess up Wine

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Megafrog
Level 3
Level 3

Codec updates from System Reports mess up Wine

Post by Megafrog »

From the beginning of my Mint install, System Reports told me that I needed to update multimedia codecs. When I clicked to do it yesterday, among the things it says it will do are
1) install a file related to fluidsynth
2) uninstall some wine-related packages

I never had any codec problems in Mint before (I'm only now using it as a daily driver) but I followed through on the update. Then I found the following problems:

1) Midi still does not work in out-of-the-box Mint. I know .mid files aren't what the cool kids are into nowadays, but it would have been nice. I read it could be done with installing VLC and a soundfont sometime so that's not a big deal.
2) Wine stopped running Warcraft III for some reason. I didn't test other old games, but one was enough for a test.

My current solution: Go back with Timeshift and don't install the codecs. That is what I did and everything is fine.
The questions whose answers can help mark this topic [SOLVED]:
What is going on?
Should I tell the System Report update menu not to remove the old Wine libraries to see what happens, if that is an option, or is that just going to cause another problem on the horizon?
Should I just skip this update since all the videos and web sites I've seen look fine so far?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.

Return to “Software & Applications”