Here comes the one...

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Re: Here comes the one...

Post by Kris345 »

haha - good catch - 1 post in the Mint forums.

But it's fun.

Been trying linux since, what, rel 16. Or was it 14. or 12... Various distros. I forget. long time ago. It has improved lots and I have learned a bit how to research probs. It also matters a lot which distro you try, and which version of it you try.

Been on win since 3.11 . It does get stressful when MS announces a new version and now most everyone has to get a new computer just to run it. I don't think they planned that. I don't think they even thought about it.

A lot of limits have fallen away since I learned how to run win under VMware in Mint. Easy. But it took me forever to jump in. Spend very little time in it, but it's THERE.

Learning how to research probs or limits. Maybe that's an art, but I'm still finger painting.. :mrgreen:
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
gittiest personITW
Level 12
Level 12

Post by gittiest personITW »

On the forums, there should be a sign that says, "Don't feed the
trolls"...lol...DAMIEN
Think Damien has described it perfectly.
Another 1 post wonder. No point wasting further server space on this one.

Been on win since 3.11 . It does get stressful when MS announces a new version and now most everyone has to get a new computer just to run it. I don't think they planned that. I don't think they even thought about it.
They probably didn't plan it at the beginning but just think how thankful those manufacturers are. Once the effect was seen how could they ignore it? Forced obsolescence. Everyone happy with it..... The manufacturers, MS and yes, even a lot of users as we/they then have a 'good excuse' to go out and buy shiny newer and faster hardware.
Given cpus are 50x faster (not to mention all the other hardware) than when you were running 3.11, OS takes up the slack so grabbing a word document pretty much takes the same amount of time. That was worth it wasn't it? Not our problem when we can send all our crap to other places in the world so it isn't our problem any longer. Yes I know cpus don't load word documents but you get what I mean.
The rant isn't over yet. I'll just mutter to myself for a bit. Then I might shout at the wall for a while.
Kris345
Level 5
Level 5

Post by Kris345 »

gittiest personITW wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 4:38 am
On the forums, there should be a sign that says, "Don't feed the
trolls"...lol...DAMIEN
Think Damien has described it perfectly.
Another 1 post wonder. No point wasting further server space on this one.

They probably didn't plan it at the beginning but just think how thankful those manufacturers are. Once the effect was seen how could they ignore it? Forced obsolescence. Everyone happy with it..... The manufacturers, MS and yes, even a lot of users as we/they then have a 'good excuse' to go out and buy shiny newer and faster hardware.
Given cpus are 50x faster (not to mention all the other hardware) than when you were running 3.11, OS takes up the slack so grabbing a word document pretty much takes the same amount of time. That was worth it wasn't it? Not our problem when we can send all our crap to other places in the world so it isn't our problem any longer. Yes I know cpus don't load word documents but you get what I mean.
The rant isn't over yet. I'll just mutter to myself for a bit. Then I might shout at the wall for a while.
Yeah, agree totally. Computers do not eliminate jobs, they create jobs because folks think about all the new stuff they could do with them. And, yes - same amount of time to load a word processor. But, no, not a lot of real change since 3.11 . :mrgreen:

but it's a lot easier to carry this laptop than a 7090...

And, yes, this should be in Cafe.
-- ThinkPad P15s-Gen1-20T4-002KUS, i7-10510U, UEFI/GPT, 16GB, Sammy 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2.
- others -
-laserjets: HP M254dw color, HP P1606dn. Epson Perfection 2480 flatbed scanner -
AndyMH
Level 21
Level 21

Post by AndyMH »

Come on guys, can't you see you are talking to thin air. A one time poster - vent their spleen and then move on to the next target.
Thinkcentre M720Q - LM21.3 cinnamon, 4 x T430 - LM21.3 cinnamon, Homebrew desktop i5-8400+GTX1080 Cinnamon 19.0
Obsolet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Obsolet »

Everyone my apologies. I am travelling abroad and had no time fo follow up to remediate my confusion and frustrations ;)

Anyhow, I am using Linux Mint right now by using my work laptop (Lenovo T480) when I am not working. So far so good. But I'd love to use an USB stick (32 GB) as a "permanent" Linux installation but I did not dare to go through the install Linux dialog since it always points to the M2 SSD which I must not touch (bitlocker Windows OS).
So I always have to reinstall everything of course once I ended my Mint Live session.

Now, today's irritating (new) finding: why is Linux Mint using a "partition" of the 32 GB stick in the path \VAR\LOGS (so for logs?) with 23 GB and has lots of free space? What's the sense behind of such a huge LOG partiton? This irritates me since I wanted to know where I can have plenty of free space on my 32 GB stick to try to run VirtualBox with a Windows 10 VM...
At least I was able to create a new folder and point the Firefox download directory to the free spacre. Though it still looks weird to me.

So the two things I am trying to work through atm: get a working "full" Linux Mint installation on my 32 GB USB Stick (no matter if it isn't a perfect way to run an OS) and second, even with a Live stick, why is Linux using the most space for logging?

Perhaps anyone with patientce and understanding for a Win noob likes to chime in and give some advise.
Thanks!

Regards
Sascha

P.S. I really like the peformance of the T480 with Linux Mint Live compared to the very slow Windows 10 OS (which is of course spoiled by too many stuff my employer IT installed).
Obsolet
Level 1
Level 1

Post by Obsolet »

It is really "funny". I am getting one error message after the other when trying to spin up a VirtualBox VM. And after some research it all ends in endless Terminal sessions with so many "Sudo" commands that I can't count anymore and they even do not slove the issue (have to sign several kernel drivers before being able to use a simple program like VirtualBox, interesting).
So as I understand, Linux still can't be used without a deep knowledge of Terminal commands and Linux Kernal internals.
Wondering how a normal user will be able to get through this? I will - maybe one day - try to overcome the burden, but still I have my doubts for a bright future with Linux being one of the most used Desktop OS.
Don't get me wrong, I understand the computer expert's facination of this verstatile OS but I can't sign the frequent statements that users just have to hop on the Linux train to get rid of all the Windows/MacOs hassles.
Not sure if anyone here likes convince someone ignorant like me ;)

For now, I may say goodbye before the rant starts!? LOL

Cheers everyone and peace!

Return to “Software & Applications”